Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default busybox/mdev as a possible alternative to udev?

There's another thread for complaining about the brokenness of the
proposed udev implementation. This one is for doing something about it.
After reading the udev-complaints thread, I joined the busybox list, and
asked if busybox's simple mdev feature could replace udev. See thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/35018

Apparently it can be done for "simple" systems, but there may be
problems for some of the more complex setups. Then again, these more
complex systems are the ones that would probably require /usr on the
same partition as /, in the first place (or else initramfs). See
message http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/35028 for details.
In addition to the "mdev" flag, I would recommend the "static" flag on
principle, especially if /usr is a separate partition.

If we ever do get this working on a large scale, we may need to ask
the Gentoo developers for a "virtual/udev" ebuild, which could be
satisfied by busybox with the "mdev" flag, just like "virtual/mta" can
be satisfied by ssmtp with the "mta" flag. This would allow people to
choose whether they want udev or mdev.

We should keep the discussion on this mailing list. Asking once if
it's possible is one thing. Flooding the busybox list with Gentoo-
specific questions would probably not be appreciated.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> *There's another thread for complaining about the brokenness of the
> proposed udev implementation. *This one is for doing something about it.
> After reading the udev-complaints thread, I joined the busybox list, and
> asked if busybox's simple mdev feature could replace udev. *See thread
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/35018
>
> *Apparently it can be done for "simple" systems, but there may be
> problems for some of the more complex setups. *Then again, these more
> complex systems are the ones that would probably require /usr on the
> same partition as /, in the first place (or else initramfs). *See
> message http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/35028 for details.
> In addition to the "mdev" flag, I would recommend the "static" flag on
> principle, especially if /usr is a separate partition.
>
> *If we ever do get this working on a large scale, we may need to ask
> the Gentoo developers for a "virtual/udev" ebuild, which could be
> satisfied by busybox with the "mdev" flag, just like "virtual/mta" can
> be satisfied by ssmtp with the "mta" flag. *This would allow people to
> choose whether they want udev or mdev.
>
> *We should keep the discussion on this mailing list. *Asking once if
> it's possible is one thing. *Flooding the busybox list with Gentoo-
> specific questions would probably not be appreciated.

It does look like there will be some problems with Xorg and detecting
input devices. I spent a few minuted digging around...and I have no
leads on where Xorg ties into udev or hotplug. Heading to sleep for
the night. This is getting interesting, though.

--
:wq