Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM
David W Noon

Default IDE for C/C++ (Was: Really OT now ( udev + /usr)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really
OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):

> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment
> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual
> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,
> though...

If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop. The former is a Gtk+
program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter
is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE. Both are *way* slicker
than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and
Emacs can run in a text console.]

You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,
if you don't already do so.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really
> OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):
>
>> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment
>> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual
>> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,
>> though...
>
> If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop. *The former is a Gtk+
> program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter
> is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE. *Both are *way* slicker
> than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and
> Emacs can run in a text console.]

I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a
NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.

That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.
Geany is new since I last dug around.

I do like text environments, though.

> You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,
> if you don't already do so.

Keeping up with this list is hard enough! But, thanks.

--
:wq

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Leonardo Guilherme

2011/9/15 Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:35:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote about Re: Really

> OT now (Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr):

>> It occurred to me that having a decent C and C++ editing environment

>> might ease some of my of the spoilage I've experienced in Visual

>> Studio for C++. I'll be checking it out. It'll mean learning emacs,

>> though...

> If you like Visual Studio, try Geany or KDevelop. *The former is a Gtk+

> program, so runs natively under GNOME, Xfce and LXDE, while the latter

> is a Qt suite that runs natively under KDE. *Both are *way* slicker

> than Emacs or vim, but do require a graphical desktop. [Both vim and

> Emacs can run in a text console.]

I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a

NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.

That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.

Geany is new since I last dug around.

I do like text environments, though.

> You might also start reading comp.os.linux.development.apps on Usenet,

> if you don't already do so.

Keeping up with this list is hard enough! But, thanks.

--

:wq

I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of years ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It highlights local variables in different colors in the same context, so something like

int foo(float bar, float baz) {}
will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging inside the editor. Its awesome.

--

Leonardo

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Chris Brennan

I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of years ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It highlights local variables in different colors in the same context, so something like

int foo(float bar, float baz) {}
will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging inside the editor. Its awesome.

If you want something in a gui, what about Code::Blocks? It's also multi-platform....> --

Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Leonardo Guilherme
> <leonardo.guilherme@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of years
>> ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It highlights
>> local variables in different colors in the same context, so something like
>> int foo(float bar, float baz) {
>> }
>> will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in
>> KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging inside the
>> editor. Its awesome.
>
> If you want something in a gui, what about Code::Blocks? It's also
> multi-platform....

Ok, what are the atom names for all these? I'll start them building,
and they should be done before I get home. (Not so likely if I have to
build all of KDE, but I've got some Qt apps installed, so...)

--
:wq

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Alexander Tanyukevich

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not touching KDE again for a while. I got nailed pretty bad with a
> NVidia/Konsole/KWin, and I really wasn't using much of KDE.
>
> That said, I might poke KDevelop again; I haven't poked it in years.
> Geany is new since I last dug around.
>
> I do like text environments, though.

Try eclipse with cdk (C/C++ developr kit). Last time I've used it 3
years ago, but it was really good...

--
Alexander Tanyukevich
atanyukevich@gmail.com

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Alexander Tanyukevich

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Alexander Tanyukevich
<atanyukevich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try eclipse with cdk (C/C++ developr kit). Last time I've used it 3
> years ago, but it was really good...

Sorry it's called CDT.

--
Alexander Tanyukevich
atanyukevich@gmail.com

Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Joost Roeleveld

On Thursday, September 15, 2011 04:05:29 PM Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Leonardo Guilherme
> >
> > <leonardo.guilherme@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of
> >> years
> >> ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It
> >> highlights local variables in different colors in the same context,
> >> so something like int foo(float bar, float baz) {
> >> }
> >> will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in
> >> KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging
> >> inside the editor. Its awesome.
> >
> > If you want something in a gui, what about Code::Blocks? It's also
> > multi-platform....
>
> Ok, what are the atom names for all these? I'll start them building,
> and they should be done before I get home. (Not so likely if I have to
> build all of KDE, but I've got some Qt apps installed, so...)

As Nikos mentioned, I would try qtcreator (dev-util/qt-creator) before
kdevelop (dev-util/kdevelop).

--
Joost

Old 09-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Leonardo Guilherme
> <leonardo.guilherme@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of years
>> ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It highlights
>> local variables in different colors in the same context, so something like
>> int foo(float bar, float baz) {
>> }
>> will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in
>> KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging inside the
>> editor. Its awesome.
>
> If you want something in a gui, what about Code::Blocks? It's also
> multi-platform....

dev-util/codeblocks is masked. How well (or poorly) does it work on
Gentoo AMD64?

I did an emerge -p kdevelop...that'd pull back in the large bulk of
KDE. I'm going to have to pass for now. qt-creator has some use flag
changes, but only requires bits of KDE I already have, so I'll be
trying it.

I don't show an ebuild for eclipse (I see dev-java/ant-eclipse-ecj,
dev-java/eclipse-ecj and dev-util/eclipse-sdk). Last time I poked
eclipse, it was a royal pain using any *DT unless one downloaded it as
a packaged deal. Version dependencies were a pain. (That said, I
settled into it fairly quickly. But that was a long time ago)

I don't see an ebuild for Emacs CC-Mode.

--
:wq

Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Michael Schreckenbauer

On Thursday, 15. September 2011 20:22:17 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Leonardo Guilherme
> >
> > <leonardo.guilherme@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I do not know the state of Geanny since I last checked (couple of
> >> years
> >> ago), but the highlight capabilites of KDevelop got my eye. It
> >> highlights local variables in different colors in the same context,
> >> so something like int foo(float bar, float baz) {
> >> }
> >> will have bar and baz in different colors. Also, support for CMake in
> >> KDevelop got really great and useful. Plus, it supports debugging
> >> inside the editor. Its awesome.
> >
> > If you want something in a gui, what about Code::Blocks? It's also
> > multi-platform....
>
> dev-util/codeblocks is masked. How well (or poorly) does it work on
> Gentoo AMD64?
>
> I did an emerge -p kdevelop...that'd pull back in the large bulk of
> KDE. I'm going to have to pass for now.

I' using kdevelop a lot. It's a nice IDE. At least, if you already use KDE as
I am

> qt-creator has some use flag
> changes, but only requires bits of KDE I already have, so I'll be
> trying it.
>
> I don't show an ebuild for eclipse (I see dev-java/ant-eclipse-ecj,
> dev-java/eclipse-ecj and dev-util/eclipse-sdk). Last time I poked
> eclipse, it was a royal pain using any *DT unless one downloaded it as
> a packaged deal.

Same as my experience. But it's nice, if you do java.

> Version dependencies were a pain. (That said, I
> settled into it fairly quickly. But that was a long time ago)

> I don't see an ebuild for Emacs CC-Mode.

app-xemacs/cc-mode

Regards,
Michael