Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Dale

Default changing dvd -> hdd on the fly

pat wrote:

Hello,

I have notebook IBM TP43 and I have second HDD in the box. The box can be
plugged in instead of the DVD drive. And I want to be able to switch these (HDD
<-> DVD) on the fly (this is possible in windows so why not in Linux ?-) ). The
HW interface is UltraBay. Could someone point me to the solution or show me the way?

Thanks a lot

Pat

Well, I found this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-347355-highlight-ultrabay.html

and

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-349274-highlight-ultrabay.html

I'm not sure it will help but it may give you some ideas.

Dale

:-) :-) :-)

Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Florian Philipp

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 12:39 +0100, pat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have notebook IBM TP43 and I have second HDD in the box. The box can be
> plugged in instead of the DVD drive. And I want to be able to switch these (HDD
> <-> DVD) on the fly (this is possible in windows so why not in Linux ?-) ). The
> HW interface is UltraBay. Could someone point me to the solution or show me the way?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Pat

Hi!

I've got a Dell Media Bay which seems to be very similar. For me it only
works after rebooting or after resuming from hibernate. Have you already
tried to unmount it, then simply exchange them?

What kind of SATA-controller do you have? If you have to use the Intel
driver (look into your bios if you can use AHCI instead), you might want
to play with "ata_piix.force_pcs=x" kernel parameter (if its a module,
load it with "force_pcs=x" as a parameter). x can be 0,1 or 2. Neither
works for me.

Look here: http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

As usually: I'm not responsible if you break your hardware/filesystems
when following my advices.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM
pat

Hello,

Thanks to all for the help. For those who have IBM T43 and want to hotswap
UltraBay devices please refer to:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices

HTH

Pat