Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Carlos Sura

Default Gentoo + Moonlight

Hello mates,

I want to use moonlight, because I've reciently started using Netflix.
I did not found in portage tree... Also, I remember that it was marked to be removed from portage... So, I wonder, is there any way to install it? layman? ebuild?*

Someone has moonlight installed and working? any problems?
Regards
--
Carlos Sura.-

Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Carlos Sura
<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello mates,
>
> I want to use moonlight, because I've reciently started using Netflix.
> I did not found in portage tree... Also, I remember that it was marked to be
> removed from portage... So, I wonder, is there any way to install it?
> layman? ebuild?
> Someone has moonlight installed and working? any problems?
> Regards

Haven't tried moonlight, but AFAIK, the DRM bits you'd need aren't
available in Moonlight.

--
:wq

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Carlos Sura

On 14 September 2011 13:42, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Carlos Sura

<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello mates,

> I want to use moonlight, because I've reciently started using Netflix.

> I did not found in portage tree... Also, I remember that it was marked to be

> removed from portage... So, I wonder, is there any way to install it?

> layman? ebuild?

> Someone has moonlight installed and working? any problems?

> Regards

Haven't tried moonlight, but AFAIK, the DRM bits you'd need aren't

available in Moonlight.

--

:wq

Hello Michael Mol,
Thank you for your answer.

Well... Right now, I'm using virtualbox, Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8; with a hdmi output, but I don't like to use virtualbox just to watch movies on netflix.

Also, this article:*http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_(Watch_Instantly)_in_Linuxmen tions that, I could use moonlight to get netflix working on linux.

But, now that I would like to try moonlight; isn't in portage tree nor gentoo wiki.
I would like to know is there is a layman or ebuild (working). I'm in ~AMD64

Regards
--
Carlos Sura.-

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Carlos Sura
<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also, this
> article:*http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_(Watch_Instantly)_in_Linux
> mentions that, I could use moonlight to get netflix working on linux.

It lists Mono/Moonlight under the "Other methods that DON'T work"
section. Meaning you can't use it to watch Netflix.

There are rumors that Netflix is working on a proper Linux client, but
as of right now emulation/virtualization is the only way to do it
AFAIK.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Carlos Sura

On 14 September 2011 14:09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Carlos Sura

<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Also, this

> article:*http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_(Watch_Instantly)_in_Linux

> mentions that, I could use moonlight to get netflix working on linux.

It lists Mono/Moonlight under the "Other methods that DON'T work"

section. Meaning you can't use it to watch Netflix.

There are rumors that Netflix is working on a proper Linux client, but

as of right now emulation/virtualization is the only way to do it

AFAIK.

Oh, I see... My mistake, did not read all the article neither well...
So... I might be using virtualbox if I want to watch movies on Netflix.... What a shame...

Anyway, thank you for your answer.
Carlos Sura.-

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Carlos Sura
<carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 14 September 2011 14:09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Carlos Sura
>> <carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Also, this
>> >
>> > article:*http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_watch_Netflix_(Watch_Instantly)_in_Linux
>> > mentions that, I could use moonlight to get netflix working on linux.
>>
>> It lists Mono/Moonlight under the "Other methods that DON'T work"
>> section. Meaning you can't use it to watch Netflix.
>>
>> There are rumors that Netflix is working on a proper Linux client, but
>> as of right now emulation/virtualization is the only way to do it
>> AFAIK.
>>

> Oh, I see... My mistake, did not read all the article neither well...
> So... I might be using virtualbox if I want to watch movies on Netflix....
> What a shame...
> Anyway, thank you for your answer.
> Regards,

I use it the same way (in VMware). If this article is true, then at
least we have some hope for the future:
http://benjaminkerensa.com/2011/07/30/netflix-instant-is-coming-to-the-entire-linux-community/

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Stéphane Guedon

On Wednesday 14 September 2011 22:34:08 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Carlos Sura
>
> <carlos.sura1@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 14 September 2011 14:09, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:

> >> It lists Mono/Moonlight under the "Other methods that DON'T work"
> >> section. Meaning you can't use it to watch Netflix.
> >>
> >> There are rumors that Netflix is working on a proper Linux client, but
> >> as of right now emulation/virtualization is the only way to do it
> >> AFAIK.
> >
> > Oh, I see... My mistake, did not read all the article neither well...
> > So... I might be using virtualbox if I want to watch movies on
> > Netflix.... What a shame...
> > Anyway, thank you for your answer.
> > Regards,
>
> I use it the same way (in VMware). If this article is true, then at
> least we have some hope for the future:
> http://benjaminkerensa.com/2011/07/30/netflix-instant-is-coming-to-the-enti
> re-linux-community/

Apart from the debate, moonligth isn't in portage, it's a firefox plugin.

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/