Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
David Relson

Default vmware-player problem

G'day,

Using files pointed to from BGO, I have successfully installed
vmware-player and vmware-modules-238-r1 on my 64-bit gentoo system
running kernel 2.6.39-gentoo-r2

However, vmware-player won't start. Checking in
/var/tmp/vmware-relson, I found the following message:

Could not open /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmware.so/libvmware.so

The message is correct, libvmware.so does not exist at the path above
(or anywhere else).

The complete logfile (appLoader-15378.log) is attached.

Any suggestions on how to make vmware happy?

Thanks.

David

Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Using files pointed to from BGO, I have successfully installed
vmware-player and vmware-modules-238-r1 on my 64-bit gentoo system
running kernel 2.6.39-gentoo-r2

However, vmware-player won't start. Checking in
/var/tmp/vmware-relson, I found the following message:

Could not open /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmware.so/libvmware.so

The message is correct, libvmware.so does not exist at the path above
(or anywhere else).

Try installing vmware-workstation and try again.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
David Relson

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:45:58 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 09/14/2011 03:00 PM, David Relson wrote:
> > Using files pointed to from BGO, I have successfully installed
> > vmware-player and vmware-modules-238-r1 on my 64-bit gentoo system
> > running kernel 2.6.39-gentoo-r2
> >
> > However, vmware-player won't start. Checking in
> > /var/tmp/vmware-relson, I found the following message:
> >
> > Could not
> > open /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmware.so/libvmware.so
> >
> > The message is correct, libvmware.so does not exist at the path
> > above (or anywhere else).
>
> Try installing vmware-workstation and try again.

vmware-workstation costs more $$ than I'm willing to pay.

Of course, vmware-server also exists. However it depends on
vmware-modules-208 which doesn't support my 2.6.39 kernel.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Using files pointed to from BGO, I have successfully installed
vmware-player and vmware-modules-238-r1 on my 64-bit gentoo system
running kernel 2.6.39-gentoo-r2

However, vmware-player won't start. Checking in
/var/tmp/vmware-relson, I found the following message:

Could not
open /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmware.so/libvmware.so

The message is correct, libvmware.so does not exist at the path
above (or anywhere else).

Try installing vmware-workstation and try again.

vmware-workstation costs more $$ than I'm willing to pay.

You don't have to use it. You just install it in order to get
libvmware.so. You then use Player, not Workstation.

It's fetch-restricted, so portage will tell you which file to download.
To download, you need to register, but creating an account doesn't cost.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 AM
David Relson

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:32:59 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 09/15/2011 01:28 AM, David Relson wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:45:58 +0300
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> >> Try installing vmware-workstation and try again.
> >>

> > vmware-workstation costs more $$ than I'm willing to pay.
>
> You don't have to use it. You just install it in order to get
> libvmware.so. You then use Player, not Workstation.
>
> It's fetch-restricted, so portage will tell you which file to
> download. To download, you need to register, but creating an account
> doesn't cost.

I wish it were that simple.

vmware-8.0.0 was released today and the vmware site seems not to
include older versions. (If they're still available, they're well
hidden).

I've created an 8.0.0 ebuild by making the obvious modification to the
7.1.4 ebuild. However when I run

ebuild /usr/local/portage/..vmware-workstation-8.0.8...digest"

portage gives a "fetch restricted; download and copy
to .../distfiles/..." message. This happens even though I _have_
downloaded the bundle and put it in the distfiles directory.

What the heck?

David

Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 AM
David Relson

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:11:35 -0400
David Relson wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:32:59 +0300
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
> > On 09/15/2011 01:28 AM, David Relson wrote:

> > > vmware-workstation costs more $$ than I'm willing to pay.
> >
> > You don't have to use it. You just install it in order to get
> > libvmware.so. You then use Player, not Workstation.
> >
> > It's fetch-restricted, so portage will tell you which file to
> > download. To download, you need to register, but creating an account
> > doesn't cost.
> >

> I wish it were that simple.
>
> vmware-8.0.0 was released today and the vmware site seems not to
> include older versions. (If they're still available, they're well
> hidden).
>
> I've created an 8.0.0 ebuild by making the obvious modification to the
> 7.1.4 ebuild. However when I run
>
> ebuild /usr/local/portage/..vmware-workstation-8.0.8...digest"
>
> portage gives a "fetch restricted; download and copy
> to .../distfiles/..." message. This happens even though I _have_
> downloaded the bundle and put it in the distfiles directory.
>
> What the heck?
>
> David

Note: I found the x86_64 bundle for 7.1.4 (the most recent ebuild) by
googling.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

You don't have to use it. You just install it in order to get
libvmware.so. You then use Player, not Workstation.

It's fetch-restricted, so portage will tell you which file to
download. To download, you need to register, but creating an account
doesn't cost.

vmware-8.0.0 was released today and the vmware site seems not to
include older versions. (If they're still available, they're well
hidden).
[...]

Note: I found the x86_64 bundle for 7.1.4 (the most recent ebuild) by
googling.

For future reference, on the download page:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation/8_0

there's this:

"Other versions of VMware Workstation: 7.0, 6.5, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.5"