Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default kde login file ?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:25:49 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> When you run kde-4 on gentoo and use the kde-login-manager app
> are the login sessions recorded into a permanent or temporary file?
>
> I looked in /etc/kde ; /var/log/kdm.log and xdm.log
> and have found nothing.
>
> I did find /var/log/wtmp, but it is not in a human
> readable format?

last reads wtmp, but it includes all logins, whether through kdm, console
or SSH. The man page explains the options.

--
Neil Bothwick

Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Alex Schuster

James writes:

> When you run kde-4 on gentoo and use the kde-login-manager app
> are the login sessions recorded into a permanent or temporary file?
>
> I looked in /etc/kde ; /var/log/kdm.log and xdm.log
> and have found nothing.
>
> I did find /var/log/wtmp, but it is not in a human
> readable format?
>
> I did see utmp in /etc/group
> (utmp:x:406
> so I guess I'm just not up on what going on here......
>

> utmp or wtmp? What is standard for gentoo? running kde4?
>
> I cannot seem to locate a login file.
>
> Is the login file for kde4 standard across all(most) linux
> distros for kde 4?
>
> While I'm looking, where are the remote (ssh) login file
> records usually kept on Gentoo?
>
> Any discussion/education is most appreciated.

If you want to know, who is logged in and when someone logged in, check
the man page for utmp / wtmp. These files are not human readable indeed,
but you can use the 'who' or 'w' command to see who is currently logged
in, and the last command to see when someone logged in. The 2nd column
shows where the login came from (and the 3rd from where), it displays
'ssh' when someone logged in via ssh. ':0' means someone started a login
on the first X display. Probably using KDE4, but it may be any
other window manager. So I have no answer to your question about KDE
logins. And I don't knwo if the feature you are looking for exists at all.

Maybe you can hack /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsession, to add an entry in
some log file in case KDE is being started.

Wonko

Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM
james

Alex Schuster <wonko <at> wonkology.org> writes:

> > When you run kde-4 on gentoo and use the kde-login-manager app
> > are the login sessions recorded into a permanent or temporary file?

> If you want to know, who is logged in and when someone logged in, check
> the man page for utmp / wtmp. These files are not human readable indeed,
> but you can use the 'who' or 'w' command to see who is currently logged
> in, and the last command to see when someone logged in. The 2nd column
> shows where the login came from (and the 3rd from where), it displays
> 'ssh' when someone logged in via ssh. ':0' means someone started a login
> on the first X display. Probably using KDE4, but it may be any
> other window manager. So I have no answer to your question about KDE
> logins. And I don't knwo if the feature you are looking for exists at all.

> Maybe you can hack /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsession, to add an entry in
> some log file in case KDE is being started.

I was looking for the login record, like what last provides,
specific for all login attempts, successful or not.
I was hoping to capture (grep - whatever) attempted login
sessions that failed, mostly from kde-4, but ssh failed sessions
would be ok too. But login failure are the target of what
I'm really looking for, for systems that each maintain there
own password file on a given network.

I guess I'd need some security wrapper app that looks for and
logs this sort of information explicitly for analysis...
Maybe a separate app, one for ssh_fail and one for kde_mgr_fail.

Anyone got any suggestions?

James