FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:

media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
version, I get:


$ emerge freetype

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
in package.provided:

freetype pulled in by 'args'

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]

Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge it
seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is this
a bug?
 
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

>

> In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:

>

> *media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

>

> When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer version, I get:

>

> *$ emerge freetype

>

> *WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed

> *in package.provided:

>

> * *freetype pulled in by 'args'

>

> *Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]

>

> Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. *The only only to emerge it seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). *Is this a bug?

>

>


Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place? Did you install freetype on your own, without using portage?


The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have installed a certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't want to mess up your installed package.


Just delete the line and emerge freetype.


(someone please CMIIW)


Rgds,
 
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
>
> media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
>
> When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
> version, I get:
>
> $ emerge freetype
>
> WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
> in package.provided:
>
> freetype pulled in by 'args'
>
> Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]
>
> Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge it
> seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is this
> a bug?

At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with complete
version also fails.

Regards,
Michael
 
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On 09/12/2011 07:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:


On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@arcor.de
<mailto:realnc@arcor.de>> wrote:
>
> In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
>
> media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
>
> When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
version, I get:
>
> $ emerge freetype
>
> WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
> in package.provided:
>
> freetype pulled in by 'args'
>
> Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]
>
> Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge
it seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is
this a bug?

Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place? Did
you install freetype on your own, without using portage?


Portage installs both freetype-1 as well as freetype-2. texlive has
freetype-1 as a dep, and I don't want it installed because I'm not using
ttf2tfm.




The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have
installed a certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't want
to mess up your installed package.

Just delete the line and emerge freetype.


From my point of view, it doesn't work perfectly, because it behaves
differently when freetype-1 is really installed, and when it's not but
listed in package.provided. If I install freetype-1 and type:


emerge freetype

it will emerge freetype:2. So the behavior is vastly different between
having freetype really installed, and when not but listed in
package.provided.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:

media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
version, I get:

$ emerge freetype

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed
in package.provided:

freetype pulled in by 'args'

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No]

Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge it
seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is this
a bug?


At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with complete
version also fails.


It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail. Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
at the same time.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On Monday, 12. September 2011 20:04:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
> >> media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
> >>
> >> When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer
> >>
> >> version, I get:
> >> $ emerge freetype
> >>
> >> WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is
> >> listed
> >>
> >> in package.provided:
> >> freetype pulled in by 'args'
> >>
> >> Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
> >> [Yes/No]
> >>
> >> Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge
> >> it
> >> seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is
> >> this
> >> a bug?
> >
> > At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with complete
> > version also fails.
>
> It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail. Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
> at the same time.

Yes, that's true for the packages provided by portage. portage does not know
anything about the freetype you provide, so it shouldn't install any freetype
from any slot by any command.

Best,
Michael
 
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On 09/12/2011 08:17 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 20:04:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the newer

version, I get:
$ emerge freetype

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is
listed

in package.provided:
freetype pulled in by 'args'

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
[Yes/No]

Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to emerge
it
seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6"). Is
this
a bug?


At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with complete
version also fails.


It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail. Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
at the same time.


Yes, that's true for the packages provided by portage. portage does not know
anything about the freetype you provide, so it shouldn't install any freetype
from any slot by any command.


I don't see how it doesn't know anything about it, given that it
requires me to list a full package atom in package.provided. So it
always knows which version should be considered as being provided.
 
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On Monday, 12. September 2011 21:31:59 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 08:17 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > On Monday, 12. September 2011 20:04:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> >>> On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >>>> In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
> >>>> media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
> >>>>
> >>>> When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the
> >>>> newer
> >>>>
> >>>> version, I get:
> >>>> $ emerge freetype
> >>>>
> >>>> WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because
> >>>> it is
> >>>> listed
> >>>>
> >>>> in package.provided:
> >>>> freetype pulled in by 'args'
> >>>>
> >>>> Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
> >>>> [Yes/No]
> >>>>
> >>>> Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to
> >>>> emerge
> >>>> it
> >>>> seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6").
> >>>> Is
> >>>> this
> >>>> a bug?
> >>>
> >>> At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with
> >>> complete version also fails.
> >>
> >> It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail. Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
> >> at the same time.
> >
> > Yes, that's true for the packages provided by portage. portage does not
> > know anything about the freetype you provide, so it shouldn't install
> > any freetype from any slot by any command.
>
> I don't see how it doesn't know anything about it, given that it
> requires me to list a full package atom in package.provided. So it
> always knows which version should be considered as being provided.

Yes. freetype version 1. So if a package depends on freetype version 1,
portage assumes, the dep is already installed.
It does not know, where it is installed, or what files it installed. So it has
to assume, that an emerge of freetype-2 actually could overwrite some of your
freetype-1 files. Therefore it should not install freetype-2 with any command,
if you have any version of freetype in package.provided.

Best,
Michael
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:49:28 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> On 09/12/2011 07:31 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 12, 2011 11:11 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@arcor.de
> > <mailto:realnc@arcor.de>> wrote:
> > >
> > > In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
> > >
> > > media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2
> > >
> > > When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the
> > > newer
> > version, I get:
> > >
> > > $ emerge freetype
> > >
> > > WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is
> > > listed in package.provided:
> > >
> > > freetype pulled in by 'args'
> > >
> > > Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
> > > [Yes/No]
> > >
> > > Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to
> > > emerge
> > it seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6").
> > Is this a bug?
> >
> > Why did you have that line in package.provided, in the first place?
> > Did you install freetype on your own, without using portage?
>
> Portage installs both freetype-1 as well as freetype-2. texlive has
> freetype-1 as a dep, and I don't want it installed because I'm not
> using ttf2tfm.
>
>
> > The way I see it, Portage worked perfectly: it saw that you have
> > installed a certain version of freetype on your own, and it didn't
> > want to mess up your installed package.
> >
> > Just delete the line and emerge freetype.
>
> From my point of view, it doesn't work perfectly, because it behaves
> differently when freetype-1 is really installed, and when it's not
> but listed in package.provided. If I install freetype-1 and type:
>
> emerge freetype
>
> it will emerge freetype:2. So the behavior is vastly different
> between having freetype really installed, and when not but listed in
> package.provided.


That's because a package being installed and being provided are not the
same thing and are treated very differently.

If you install xyz-1.2.3 then portage knows what it did to achieve
that and can deal with it as normal.

If you provide xyz-1.2.3 then portage does not know what *you* did to
achieve that and makes no attempt to deal with it at all. You are
expected to completely 100% deal with all of xyz, including all slots.
"man 5 portage" mentions that the version number is there in
package.provided so that portage can alert you if some other package
has a dep on a version of xyz you did not provide.

Seen in that light, the behaviour is indeed sensible, just not
consistent if you haven't read the docs yet. I don't think it's wise to
try and change portage's behaviour with this, as Michael said in
another sub-thread portage has no idea what you did so it can't even
try to take control of different slots for fear it might clobber all
your manual hard work



--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default package.provided messes up emerging of package slots?

On 09/12/2011 10:02 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 21:31:59 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 09/12/2011 08:17 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 20:04:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 09/12/2011 07:42 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

On Monday, 12. September 2011 18:41:37 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

In my /etc/portage/profile/package.provided, I have this:
media-libs/freetype-1.4_pre20080316-r2

When I try to emerge freetype however, instead of emerging the
newer

version, I get:
$ emerge freetype

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because
it is
listed

in package.provided:
freetype pulled in by 'args'

Nothing to merge; would you like to auto-clean packages?
[Yes/No]

Trying "emerge freetype:2" also won't work. The only only to
emerge
it
seems is by using the whole version ("emerge =freetype-2.4.6").
Is
this
a bug?


At least it's inconsistent. I would expect that the emerge with
complete version also fails.


It's slotted, so it shouldn't fail. Freetype 1 and 2 can be installed
at the same time.


Yes, that's true for the packages provided by portage. portage does not
know anything about the freetype you provide, so it shouldn't install
any freetype from any slot by any command.


I don't see how it doesn't know anything about it, given that it
requires me to list a full package atom in package.provided. So it
always knows which version should be considered as being provided.


Yes. freetype version 1. So if a package depends on freetype version 1,
portage assumes, the dep is already installed.
It does not know, where it is installed, or what files it installed. So it has
to assume, that an emerge of freetype-2 actually could overwrite some of your
freetype-1 files. Therefore it should not install freetype-2 with any command,
if you have any version of freetype in package.provided.


I disagree. A slotted package is practically two different packages
that simply share the same name. If one slot is assumed as being
provided, then that slot should have no effect on the other ones.


With your argument, portage should not install *any* packages at all if
there's even a single entry in package.provided, because it doesn't know
what that package installs and therefore *any other* package could
results in conflicts.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org