Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default udev + /usr

Hi, everybody.

Hope nobody minds me starting a new thread with an accurate name.

Which version of udev is it that has this nauseating feature of needing
/usr loaded to boot?

Somewhere in that version's source will be several (or lots of) "/usr".
Just how difficult is it going to be to replace "/usr/bin" with "/bin"
throughout the source?

udev is part of the kernel. How come the kernel hackers aren't up in
arms about this as much as we are? Or are they, maybe? In which case,
maybe the kernel people would welcome an option to disrequire the early
mounting of /usr as much as we would.

Anyhow, I'd like to take a peek at the source code which does this evil
thing. Would somebody please tell me which version of udev is involved.

Thanks.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).