Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM
András Csányi

Default two question about Xfce

Dear All,

I have two question about Xfce:

- I have two monitors and the panel takes place on the right side of
the left monitor vertically. To put another form, the panel takes
place in 1440x0 position. The applications are able to go down to the
panel if I put them full screen mode. To be honest, it's annoying me.
I'm not able to decide whether is this a bug or I configured something
in bad way. The situation is the same under KDE. I wrote about this
problem earlier and somebody mentioned that there is a related bug in
the bugtracker of the KDE Team and it could be KWin defect. Is used
kwin under xfce somehow? If a KDE application is used kwin always gets
in the picture?

- How can I set up the position of the newly started application in
Xfce? For example, if I start a new application (Openoffice, Chromium,
Kile, etc.) it's fitted to the center of the screen. In this case it's
very uncomfortable for me because my screen is 2880x900 px (because of
the two monitors) and the center is 1440x0 which is under the panel.

Thanks for any help in advance!

András

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Hi,

On Monday, 12. September 2011 15:01:34 András Csányi wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have two question about Xfce:
>
> Is used
> kwin under xfce somehow? If a KDE application is used kwin always gets
> in the picture?

No, unless you tell it to (kwin --replace iirc) and no. How to fix your
problem, I have no idea.

> - How can I set up the position of the newly started application in
> Xfce? For example, if I start a new application (Openoffice, Chromium,
> Kile, etc.) it's fitted to the center of the screen. In this case it's
> very uncomfortable for me because my screen is 2880x900 px (because of
> the two monitors) and the center is 1440x0 which is under the panel.

That seems to be smart placement, which is based on the windows size. You can
adjust that in Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Placement.
If that doesn't suffice, you could experiment with x11-misc/wmctrl

> Thanks for any help in advance!
>
> András

Hth,
Michael

Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 AM
András Csányi

On 12 September 2011 15:26, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday, 12. September 2011 15:01:34 András Csányi wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have two question about Xfce:
>>
>> Is used
>> kwin under xfce somehow? If a KDE application is used kwin always gets
>> in the picture?
>
> No, unless you tell it to (kwin --replace iirc) and no. How to fix your
> problem, I have no idea.
>
>> - How can I set up the position of the newly started application in
>> Xfce? For example, if I start a new application (Openoffice, Chromium,
>> Kile, etc.) it's fitted to the center of the screen. In this case it's
>> very uncomfortable for me because my screen is 2880x900 px (because of
>> the two monitors) and the center is 1440x0 which is under the panel.
>
> That seems to be smart placement, which is based on the windows size. You can
> adjust that in Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Placement.
> If that doesn't suffice, you could experiment with x11-misc/wmctrl

Well, I played a little with this "Smart placement" and it looks like
it could be a solution for my comfortable issue.
Thanks for the suggestion!

--
- -

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 13 September 2011 08:48:06 András Csányi wrote:
> On 12 September 2011 15:26, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@gmx.de> wrote:
> > That seems to be smart placement, which is based on the windows size.
> > You can adjust that in Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Placement.
> > If that doesn't suffice, you could experiment with x11-misc/wmctrl
>
> Well, I played a little with this "Smart placement" and it looks like
> it could be a solution for my comfortable issue.
> Thanks for the suggestion!

Smart placement, here, nearly always puts a new window in the top-left
corner of the screen. That is the one place where I *never* want it. Some
definition of "smart", no?

I always specify random placing nowadays.

--
Rgds
Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23