Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Default X keyboard model insists of being "pc104"

Hi,

when doing a

setxkbmap -v -query

I get:

Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes: evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types: complete
compat: complete
symbols: pc+us(altgr-intl)+inet(evdev)+capslock(none)
geometry: pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+us(altgr-intl)+inet(evdev)+capslock(none)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
};

beside other things, my keyboard is recognized as pc104 keyboard.
This is not true -- it is definetly a pc101 one (IBM Model M
US-Ansi).

I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
/etc/X11/xorg-conf.d/99-evdev.conf and edited it
to this one:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "evdev"
Option "XKbModel" "pc101"
Option "xkb_layout" "us"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XKbVariant" "altgr-intl"
EndSection

The relevant part of xorg.conf says:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "IBM MODEL M"
Driver "evdev"
Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "altgr-intl"
Option "XkbOptions" "caps:none"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

there is no ~/.xmodmap or ~/.Xmodmap at $HOME...

The keyboard works so far as I can tell, but xkeycaps
reports wrong keys.

What part of my Linux box is thinking a Model M has
104 keys?
How can I get rid of those additional three keys? ;-)

Best regards,
mcc

Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 PM
walt

On 09/11/2011 04:29 AM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
> /etc/X11/xorg-conf.d/99-evdev.conf and edited it
>
> The relevant part of xorg.conf says:

I may be misreading your post (of course but my first thought is
that you have three different files trying to configure one keyboard:
1. 10-evdev.conf
2. 99-evdev.conf
3. xorg.conf

Am I wrong about this?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 AM

walt <w41ter@gmail.com> [11-09-12 04:34]:
> On 09/11/2011 04:29 AM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
> > /etc/X11/xorg-conf.d/99-evdev.conf and edited it
> >
> > The relevant part of xorg.conf says:
>
> I may be misreading your post (of course but my first thought is
> that you have three different files trying to configure one keyboard:
> 1. 10-evdev.conf
> 2. 99-evdev.conf
> 3. xorg.conf
>
> Am I wrong about this?

No, you are right!
I inserted 99-evdev.conf, because 10-evdev.conf will be overwritten
when updateing, because it was automagically installed.
xorg.conf does the main configuration like setting altgr-intl. It
was also the first place where I tried to set pc101 -- but it was
ignored. So I tried to talk to evdev (see above) -- but without
success.

How can I proceed?

Best regards
mcc

Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 05:04:24 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> > > I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
> > > /etc/X11/xorg-conf.d/99-evdev.conf and edited it

> No, you are right!
> I inserted 99-evdev.conf, because 10-evdev.conf will be overwritten
> when updateing,

No it won't. Most of /etc, including /etc/XX11, is CONFIG_PROTECTed.

--
Neil Bothwick

Many husbands go broke on the money their wives save on sales.