Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Peter Humphrey

Default Where has my sound gone?

Hello List,

I was getting fed up with the bloat and maintenance headaches with my setup,
which used the kde desktop profile and emerge kde-meta.

So I formatted the root partition and installed from scratch. This time I
kept the standard profile and only emerged the packages I wanted. I kept the
kernel config (2.6.39-r3), so all the modules should be present as before. I
have ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" in make.conf.

But I have no sound! KDE tells me the hardware doesn't work, and alsaconf
says it can't detect any PCI hardware. Lspci -k shows snd-hda-intel module
loaded though, so I can't see what's missing.

Any clues, anyone?

--
Rgds
Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM
walt

On 09/11/2011 03:17 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I was getting fed up with the bloat and maintenance headaches with my setup,
> which used the kde desktop profile and emerge kde-meta.
>
> So I formatted the root partition and installed from scratch. This time I
> kept the standard profile and only emerged the packages I wanted. I kept the
> kernel config (2.6.39-r3), so all the modules should be present as before. I
> have ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" in make.conf.
>
> But I have no sound! KDE tells me the hardware doesn't work, and alsaconf
> says it can't detect any PCI hardware. Lspci -k shows snd-hda-intel module
> loaded though, so I can't see what's missing.

Does alsa-info give any useful messages? How about dmesg or syslog? Did you
keep any of the useflags from your old make.conf?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:17:17AM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote

> But I have no sound! KDE tells me the hardware doesn't work, and alsaconf
> says it can't detect any PCI hardware. Lspci -k shows snd-hda-intel module
> loaded though, so I can't see what's missing.
>
> Any clues, anyone?

When I go into "make menuconfig"

Device Drivers --->
<*> Sound card support --->
<*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --->[*] PCI sound devices --->
<*> Intel HD Audio --->

I get a list of sub modules. Here's what I've selected...

--- Intel HD Audio[*] Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver
[ ] Allow dynamic codec reconfiguration (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ] Support digital beep via input layer
[ ] Support jack plugging notification via input layer
[ ] Support initialization patch loading for HD-audio[*] Build Realtek HD-audio codec support[*] Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support
[ ] Build IDT/Sigmatel HD-audio codec support[*] Build VIA HD-audio codec support
[ ] Build HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support
[ ] Build Cirrus Logic codec support
[ ] Build Conexant HD-audio codec support
[ ] Build Creative CA0110-IBG codec support
[ ] Build C-Media HD-audio codec support
[ ] Build Silicon Labs 3054 HD-modem codec support[*] Enable generic HD-audio codec parser
[ ] Aggressive power-saving on HD-audio

Your selections will depend on your card. Can you post the output for
your sound card from "lspci -v"? If you have an HDMI output, you may
see 2 audio stanzas in "lspci -v". List them both just to be sure.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 11 September 2011 23:31:18 walt wrote:

> Does alsa-info give any useful messages?

An encyclopaedia-full of info, among which I see "No sound servers found".

> How about dmesg or syslog?

Dmsg shows the hardware being set up OK; syslog nothing.

> Did you keep any of the useflags from your old make.conf?

No; that was the point, or part of it. I decided to remove all USE flags except hardware ones, then add back in any that turned out to be needed. Looks like you've spotted the one I need - thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that - so easy with hindsight.

I've added USE=alsa and I'm remerging world now. Let's hope I'll be able to listen to my favourite BBC Radio 3 soon!

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 12 September 2011 04:41:53 I wrote:

> I've added USE=alsa and I'm remerging world now. Let's hope I'll be able
> to listen to my favourite BBC Radio 3 soon!

Now playing happily, though the BBC do still insist on Flash.

Thanks for your help. So simple...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Stroller

On 12 September 2011, at 04:52, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Monday 12 September 2011 04:41:53 I wrote:
>
>> I've added USE=alsa and I'm remerging world now. Let's hope I'll be able
>> to listen to my favourite BBC Radio 3 soon!
>
> Now playing happily, though the BBC do still insist on Flash.

get_iplayer

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html

Stroller.