Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default Gentoo counter?

I've just read about the 'new' Linux Counter from a slashdot article, and I wonder: is there a 'Gentoo Counter' that tracks (voluntarily, of course) the number of active Gentoo systems in the world?

Rgds,

Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM
David W Noon

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:52:53 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote about
"[gentoo-user] Gentoo counter?":

>I've just read about the 'new' Linux Counter from a slashdot article,
>and I wonder: is there a 'Gentoo Counter' that tracks (voluntarily, of
>course) the number of active Gentoo systems in the world?

Why not just look at Linux Counter and see how many run Gentoo?

The Linux Counter collects the distro information, so there is no need
for a separate counter for each distro.

[BTW, can you ditch the HTML please? This is an Internet mailing list,
and it has long been considered poor Netiquette to use HTML messages.
Plain text is perfectly adequate to convey information, and is much
lighter to transport and render.]

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:30 AM, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> [BTW, can you ditch the HTML please? *This is an Internet mailing list,
> and it has long been considered poor Netiquette to use HTML messages.
> Plain text is perfectly adequate to convey information, and is much
> lighter to transport and render.]

Can't you just configure your mail client to discard the HTML part in
the multipart message?

--
:wq

Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Sunday, September 11, 2011, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:52:53 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote about
> "[gentoo-user] Gentoo counter?":

>>I've just read about the 'new' Linux Counter from a slashdot article,
>>and I wonder: is there a 'Gentoo Counter' that tracks (voluntarily, of
>>course) the number of active Gentoo systems in the world?

> Why not just look at Linux Counter and see how many run Gentoo?
>
> The Linux Counter collects the distro information, so there is no need
> for a separate counter for each distro.
>

> [BTW, can you ditch the HTML please? *This is an Internet mailing list,
> and it has long been considered poor Netiquette to use HTML messages.
> Plain text is perfectly adequate to convey information, and is much

> lighter to transport and render.]
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave *[RLU #314465]

Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem to be configurable about that.

Currently I'm typing this reply using Gmail webmail via Dolphin; does it still have the HTML part?

Rgds,

--

FdS Pandu E Poluan

~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248

*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com

*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Andrs Csnyi

On 11 September 2011 14:43, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem to be
> configurable about that.

Android client is not able to handle plain/text emails.

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:50:25 +0200
Andrs Csnyi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 September 2011 14:43, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> >
> > Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem
> > to be configurable about that.
>
> Android client is not able to handle plain/text emails.

It's also almost impossible to NOT top-post with these mobile clients.
I'm surprised Pandu managed it.

K9Mail on Android is a fine substitute, it behaves more like the regular
clients we are all used to.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 19:50, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 September 2011 14:43, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>>
>> Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem to be
>> configurable about that.
>
> Android client is not able to handle plain/text emails.
>
> --
> - -
> --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
> http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
> --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell

Yeah, found that out with a bit of Google-fu.

Now I'm typing from my PC using the full-bore Gmail.

No more HTML bits, I hope.

But this means I practically can't reply to this list when I'm on the road:

*) Gmail Java Mobile client (on my E72) can post in plaintext, but
only as a top-post.

*) Gmail Android client (on my Samsung Galaxy Ace) can bottom-post,
but also sends an HTML part.

*) Gmail webmail client -- when accessed via Dolphin -- also sends an
HTML part. (Just saw my reply sent using Dolphin)

*) K9 Mail *can* send plaintext messages, but it can't install itself
on the SD card, so I have to delete it (my Sammy's internal memory is
a measly 158 MB; I'd rather not install anything not abso-effin-lutely
essential into the internal memory)

So, I'm in a bit of quandary now.

Oh well.

Rgds,

Old 09-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 20:05, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:50:25 +0200
> András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11 September 2011 14:43, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> >
>> > Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem
>> > to be configurable about that.
>>
>> Android client is not able to handle plain/text emails.
>>

> It's also almost impossible to NOT top-post with these mobile clients.
> I'm surprised Pandu managed it.

The Gmail Android client (at least the one on the Sammy GalAce) is
capable of bottom-posting. Of course I have to spend some time to
scroll down, but it's doable. Albeit somewhat annoying.

> K9Mail on Android is a fine substitute, it behaves more like the regular
> clients we are all used to.

I miss the threaded view, though :-(

Rgds,

Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:08:17 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 19:50, Andrs Csnyi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11 September 2011 14:43, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> >>
> >> Eh? Sorry about the HTML bits; Android's Gmail client doesn't seem
> >> to be configurable about that.
> >
> > Android client is not able to handle plain/text emails.
> >
> > --
> > - -
> > --* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --
> > http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
> > --* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell
> >

> Yeah, found that out with a bit of Google-fu.
>
> Now I'm typing from my PC using the full-bore Gmail.
>
> No more HTML bits, I hope.
>
> But this means I practically can't reply to this list when I'm on the
> road:
>
> *) Gmail Java Mobile client (on my E72) can post in plaintext, but
> only as a top-post.
>
> *) Gmail Android client (on my Samsung Galaxy Ace) can bottom-post,
> but also sends an HTML part.
>
> *) Gmail webmail client -- when accessed via Dolphin -- also sends an
> HTML part. (Just saw my reply sent using Dolphin)
>
> *) K9 Mail *can* send plaintext messages, but it can't install itself
> on the SD card, so I have to delete it (my Sammy's internal memory is
> a measly 158 MB; I'd rather not install anything not abso-effin-lutely
> essential into the internal memory)
>
> So, I'm in a bit of quandary now.

Folks here are quite understanding about phone mail apps. It was rough
at first but once everyone "got it" that you have little choice....

Best is to put a short note in your sig saying you can't avoid HTML
top-posted gmail on Android. People learn to deal with it.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Alan Mackenzie

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 01:30:12PM +0100, David W Noon wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:52:53 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote about

> [BTW, can you ditch the HTML please? This is an Internet mailing list,
> and it has long been considered poor Netiquette to use HTML messages.
> Plain text is perfectly adequate to convey information, and is much
> lighter to transport and render.]

Yes, just think of the space it will soon be taking on the / partition
or the initramfs. ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).