FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?

I converted two machines from icedtea (java6) to oracle-jdk-bin
(java7).

I did in effect

emerge --depclean icedtea icedtea-web =virtual/jdk-1.6.0 =virtual/jdk-1.6.0

On one machine portage now claims that I basically don't need java (see
the output of --depclean below). Can this be right? More importantly,
I believe it is safe to do the suggested unmerges (i.e. I could always
remerge them) since

1. None of these are in system
2. Portage itself doesn't use java

Am I correct that letting the unmerge happen is reversible.

thanks,
allan

================================================== ==============

oldlap ~ # emerge --ignore-default-opts --pretend --depclean

* Depclean may break link level dependencies. Thus, it is
* recommended to use a tool such as `revdep-rebuild` (from
* app-portage/gentoolkit) in order to detect such breakage.
*
* Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
* mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
* be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
* `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
* package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
* depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
*
* As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
* unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
* consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
* --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-java/ant-nodeps
selected: 1.8.1
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-libs/libgee
selected: 0.6.1
protected: none
omitted: 0.7.0

net-print/gutenprint
selected: 5.2.7
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xalan
selected: 2.7.1
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/bcel
selected: 5.2-r2
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/javacup
selected: 0.11a_beta20060608
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xerces
selected: 2.9.1
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xjavac
selected: 20041208-r5
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xml-commons-resolver
selected: 1.2
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xalan-serializer
selected: 2.7.1
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/xml-commons-external
selected: 1.3.04
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/ant-core
selected: 1.8.1
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/javatoolkit
selected: 0.3.0-r6
protected: none
omitted: none

virtual/jre
selected: 1.7.0
protected: none
omitted: none

virtual/jdk
selected: 1.7.0
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin
selected: 1.7.0
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/java-config
selected: 2.1.11-r3
protected: none
omitted: none

dev-java/java-config-wrapper
selected: 0.16
protected: none
omitted: none

All selected packages: dev-java/java-config-2.1.11-r3 net-print/gutenprint-5.2.7 dev-java/xml-commons-external-1.3.04 dev-java/xml-commons-resolver-1.2 dev-java/javacup-0.11a_beta20060608 dev-java/ant-nodeps-1.8.1 dev-java/xerces-2.9.1 dev-java/bcel-5.2-r2 dev-java/xalan-2.7.1 dev-java/ant-core-1.8.1 dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-1.7.0 dev-libs/libgee-0.6.1 dev-java/javatoolkit-0.3.0-r6 virtual/jre-1.7.0 dev-java/xalan-serializer-2.7.1 dev-java/xjavac-20041208-r5 virtual/jdk-1.7.0 dev-java/java-config-wrapper-0.16

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Packages installed: 966
Packages in world: 143
Packages in system: 45
Required packages: 948
Number to remove: 18
oldlap ~ #
 
Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Philip Webb
 
Default --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?

110910 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> I converted two machines from icedtea (java6) to oracle-jdk-bin (java7).
> I did in effect
> emerge --depclean icedtea icedtea-web =virtual/jdk-1.6.0 =virtual/jdk-1.6.0
> On one machine portage now claims that I basically don't need java
> (see the output of --depclean below). Can this be right?
>
> dev-java/ant-nodeps
> selected: 1.8.1
> protected: none
> omitted: none

*** remainder snipped ***

I recently removed Java from my system: all I seem to have lost
is direct access to the help files in LibreOffice,
which have a fully adequate PDF substitute.

You can check each package in your list with 'emerge -cpv <pkg>'
& see what it says requires it: if they only support one another,
you can fairly safely remove them all.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
 
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?

On Sun, Sep 11 2011, Philip Webb wrote:

> 110910 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>> I converted two machines from icedtea (java6) to oracle-jdk-bin (java7).
>> I did in effect
>> emerge --depclean icedtea icedtea-web =virtual/jdk-1.6.0 =virtual/jdk-1.6.0
>> On one machine portage now claims that I basically don't need java
>> (see the output of --depclean below). Can this be right?
>>
>> dev-java/ant-nodeps
>> selected: 1.8.1
>> protected: none
>> omitted: none
>
> *** remainder snipped ***
>
> I recently removed Java from my system: all I seem to have lost
> is direct access to the help files in LibreOffice,
> which have a fully adequate PDF substitute.
>
> You can check each package in your list with 'emerge -cpv <pkg>'
> & see what it says requires it: if they only support one another,
> you can fairly safely remove them all.

Thanks. I did the check and then let depclean remove them.
allan
 
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Jonathan
 
Default --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:26:35 -0400
Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> I recently removed Java from my system: all I seem to have lost
> is direct access to the help files in LibreOffice,
> which have a fully adequate PDF substitute.

The offlinehelp flag is now in the libreoffice-l10n ebuild. I use Libreoffice with the java flag disabled and my offline help works fine.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Allan Gottlieb
 
Default --depclean wants to remove much of java. Is this safe?

On Tue, Sep 13 2011, Jonathan wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:26:35 -0400
> Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
>> I recently removed Java from my system: all I seem to have lost
>> is direct access to the help files in LibreOffice,
>> which have a fully adequate PDF substitute.
>
> The offlinehelp flag is now in the libreoffice-l10n ebuild. I use
> Libreoffice with the java flag disabled and my offline help works
> fine.

thanks,
allan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org