FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

Hi All,
I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.
Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time to try new CFLAGS, and so on.

But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid of: "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but portage does not know that.

How am I supposed to go on?
By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86" profile. How would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my processor is capable of this.

ThanksFrancisco
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
 
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

Hi,

On Saturday, 10. September 2011 16:41:39 Francisco Ares wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing to be
> done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.

*bummer*

> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time to try
> new CFLAGS, and so on.
>
> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid of:
> "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but portage does
> not know that.
> How am I supposed to go on?

emerging the one or the other with --nodeps could solve this.

> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86" profile. How
> would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my processor is capable of
> this.

Afaik it's not possible to "upgrade" a running 32bit system to a 64bit one.

> Thanks
> Francisco

Hth,
Michael
 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@gmx.de> wrote:

Hi,



On Saturday, 10. September 2011 16:41:39 Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi All,

>

> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing to be

> done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.



*bummer*


tell me...**

> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time to try

> new CFLAGS, and so on.

>

> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid of:

> "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but portage does

> not know that.

> How am I supposed to go on?



emerging the one or the other with --nodeps could solve this.



> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86" profile. How

> would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my processor is capable of

> this.



Afaik it's not possible to "upgrade" a running 32bit system to a 64bit one.

I was already considering a fresh install. Now it seems more tempting.*



> Thanks

> Francisco



Hth,

Michael






Thanks!!
 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300
Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing
> to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.
>
> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time
> to try new CFLAGS, and so on.
>
> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid
> of: "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but
> portage does not know that.
>
> How am I supposed to go on?
>
> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86"
> profile. How would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my
> processor is capable of this.

As Michael replied elsewhere, this is hard. It may even be almost
impossible and it's definitely not trivial.

You intend to rebuild everything anyway, I would recommend you install
over the old system and retain /etc/portage and the world file. Then
emerge -e world.

This will take you about 30 minutes longer than rebuilding world if you
hadn't taken out /var/db - one of the few cases where a re-install
really is the correct thing to do. Good luck.



--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:



On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@gmx.de> wrote:


Hi,



On Saturday, 10. September 2011 16:41:39 Francisco Ares wrote:

> Hi All,

>

> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing to be

> done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.



*bummer*

tell me...**

> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time to try

> new CFLAGS, and so on.

>

> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid of:

> "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but portage does

> not know that.

> How am I supposed to go on?



emerging the one or the other with --nodeps could solve this.



> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86" profile. How

> would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my processor is capable of

> this.



Afaik it's not possible to "upgrade" a running 32bit system to a 64bit one.

I was already considering a fresh install. Now it seems more tempting.*




> Thanks

> Francisco



Hth,

Michael






Thanks!!


Well, --nodeps did no work, as portage claims that it is incompatible with --emptytree , that it is forcing as there is no more /var/db

I have also tried to include my gcc in /etc/package-provided , but still it did not work
ThanksFrancisco
 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300

Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:



> Hi All,

>

> I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid thing

> to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.

>

> Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again, time

> to try new CFLAGS, and so on.

>

> But there is a circular dependency that I do not know how to get rid

> of: "glibc" and "gcc" depend on each other. They are both here, but

> portage does not know that.

>

> How am I supposed to go on?

>

> By the way, I have a Pentium Core 2 Quad and I am using a "x86"

> profile. How would I switch to a "amd64" ? As far as I know, my

> processor is capable of this.



As Michael replied elsewhere, this is hard. It may even be almost

impossible and it's definitely not trivial.



You intend to rebuild everything anyway, I would recommend you install

over the old system and retain /etc/portage and the world file. Then

emerge -e world.



This will take you about 30 minutes longer than rebuilding world if you

hadn't taken out /var/db - one of the few cases where a re-install

really is the correct thing to do. Good luck.







--

Alan McKinnnon

alan.mckinnon@gmail.com





Yes, that's it, now going from ground up. Pity, this system is being upgraded, both hardware and software, since 15+ years. Never had to re-install before.

I guess that shows how portage, all dev-guys, and all helpful people who write in this list are really good. Gentoo rocks!

Thank you all!Francisco
 
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Saturday, 10. September 2011 17:29:21 Francisco Ares wrote:
> Well, --nodeps did no work, as portage claims that it is incompatible with
> --emptytree , that it is forcing as there is no more /var/db

Ok. Did not know, that portage forces emptytree in this situation.

> I have also tried to include my gcc in /etc/package-provided , but still it
> did not work

Would have been my next suggestion...
Sorry, I am out of ideas, at least for now.
As Alan said, a new install, 64bit is imo the best you can do now.

> Thanks
> Francisco

Best,
Michael
 
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

Francisco Ares writes:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Alan McKinnon
> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300
> > Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid
> > > thing to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.

For every partition I have on my system there is a slightly bigger
partition on my backup drive, and I regularly make snapshots with
rdiff-backup. I wrote a script to automatize this, because it has to be
easy to start the backup, or else I won't do it often enough.

> > > Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again,
> > > time to try new CFLAGS, and so on.

And to go amd64 See it as an opportunity to do this. For me, the
biggest advantage compared to x86 was that I could use more memory. Apart
from that, there were not so many differences.


> Yes, that's it, now going from ground up. Pity, this system is being
> upgraded, both hardware and software, since 15+ years. Never had to
> re-install before.

Um, Gentoo started to exist around 2002 according to
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux .

> I guess that shows how portage, all dev-guys, and all helpful people who
> write in this list are really good. Gentoo rocks!

Indeed. I started to use it around early in 2003, when my girlfriend
installed it onto my server. And I continued using it until one year ago,
when the server became obsolete (and finally died only three months
later). I had uptimes of more than a year, and also never had to
re-install.

Before, I had tried various Linux distros, but I always was disappointed
with many things. I hated to upgrade, as this sometimes just did not
work, and often broke things, sometimes more than were fixed. I remember
the dependency hell of RPM, spending much time on rpmfind.net looking for
packages that were compatible... and then came Gentoo, and these problems
were gone. The rolling upgrades were just great. Over all, things
worked much better. And in case of problems, I often was able to solve
them myself. And I learnt to do things by hand - like configuring ISDN.
When I tried that before on redHat, I ran into a bug of that fancy GUI
utility, that did not make use of my changes until I quit and restarted
it. If you do this yourself by directly configuring stuff in /etc/ppp,
you not only learn more about the whole thing, you also avoid the bugs
that all those GUI utilities seem to have. Simpler seems to be better
here. No additional layers calling for trouble.

Wonko
 
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Francisco Ares
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

Francisco Ares writes:



> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Alan McKinnon

> <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:

>

> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:41:39 -0300

> > Francisco Ares <frares@gmail.com> wrote:



> > > I have managed to delete /var/db. I know this was a very stupid

> > > thing to be done, but now it is done and /var/db is gone for good.



For every partition I have on my system there is a slightly bigger

partition on my backup drive, and I regularly make snapshots with

rdiff-backup. I wrote a script to automatize this, because it has to be

easy to start the backup, or else I won't do it often enough.



> > > Well, that is a good opportunity to have everything built again,

> > > time to try new CFLAGS, and so on.



And to go amd64 *See it as an opportunity to do this. For me, the

biggest advantage compared to x86 was that I could use more memory. Apart

from that, there were not so many differences.





> Yes, that's it, now going from ground up. Pity, this system is being

> upgraded, both hardware and software, since 15+ years. Never had to

> re-install before.



Um, Gentoo started to exist around 2002 according to

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux .
Thanks for the correction. I really thought that it was that long.

Now, pushing harder from memory, I have being using Linux since the kernel was on versions 2.2 in '99. I started with "Conectiva" (release 4.0), that went to "Mandriva" when it was acquired by "Mandrake", in 2004 or 2005, I guess, but way before that I had Gentoo already installed.


So that makes just, say, 10 years.

I had a few re-installs at the beginning, in the first two to three weeks, until I get the idea right. When "smartd" starts to advise me about a failing hard drive, I simply copy everything from this unit to a new one, and things just keep going. When the hardware is considered old and there is enough money, I look for possibilities till I get to a specific (and affordable) new set of motherboard, processor and memory, but before moving things, I build a kernel with drives for both CPU's; just then I really buy the new hardware, and normally everything works fine. And there is always a LiveCD around to help put things back to work.

*
> I guess that shows how portage, all dev-guys, and all helpful people who

> write in this list are really good. Gentoo rocks!



Indeed. I started to use it around early in 2003, when my girlfriend

installed it onto my server. And I continued using it until one year ago,

when the server became obsolete (and finally died only three months

later). I had uptimes of more than a year, and also never had to

re-install.



Before, I had tried various Linux distros, but I always was disappointed

with many things. I hated to upgrade, as this sometimes just did not

work, and often broke things, sometimes more than were fixed. I remember

the dependency hell of RPM, spending much time on rpmfind.net looking *for

packages that were compatible... and then came Gentoo, and these problems

were gone. The rolling upgrades were just great. Over all, things

worked much better. And in case of problems, I often was able to solve

them myself. And I learnt to do things by hand - like configuring ISDN.

When I tried that before on redHat, I ran into a bug of that fancy GUI

utility, that did not make use of my changes until I quit and restarted

it. If you do this yourself by directly configuring stuff in /etc/ppp,

you not only learn more about the whole thing, you also avoid the bugs

that all those GUI utilities seem to have. Simpler seems to be better

here. No additional layers calling for trouble.



* * * *Wonko




Yes, quite like you. I hated the way Conectiva changed the case of some letters on the names of some of the libraries, so it was hell to have something installed from source, and their package list was too short. I though that would be the same with other distros. I was considering "Linux from Scratch", but when I came to know that in a Gentoo instalation everything is built from source code, I stopped to look at other distros. And I really enjoy messing around in /etc .


Thanks
 
Old 09-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default /var/db gone: possible opportunity to switch profile

On Saturday 10 September 2011 23:37:21 Alex Schuster wrote:

> And to go amd64 See it as an opportunity to do this. For me, the
> biggest advantage compared to x86 was that I could use more memory. Apart
> from that, there were not so many differences.

I have this in my make.conf. The cpu is core2 i5:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=core2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

--
Rgds
Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org