Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 PM
"Michael J. Barillier"

Default Touchpad no longer working

The touchpad on my Acer laptop has stopped working in X after a recent
`emerge -uD world'. Looking through emerge.log doesn't indicate
anything hardware-related. The touchpad shows up in dmesg:

,----
| Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2, id: 0x12a0b1, caps: 0xa04713/0x204000
| input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /class/input/input5
`----

and in /proc/bus/input/devices:

,----
| I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=12b1
| N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
| P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
| S: Sysfs=/class/input/input5
| U: Uniq=
| H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
| B: EV=b
| B: KEY=6420 0 7000f 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
| B: ABS=11000003
`----

and /proc/config.gz says:

,----
| CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
`----

I'd seen references to cat-ing /dev/input/mouse0 and using the touchpad,
but when I do that no output is generated. xorg.conf has:

,----
| Section "InputDevice"
| Identifier "TouchPad"
| Driver "synaptics"
| Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
| Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
| Option "SHMConfig" "on"
| EndSection
|
| Section "ServerLayout"
| Identifier "X.org Configured"
| Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
| InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
| InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
| EndSection
`----

but the pointer still fails to move (x11-drivers/synaptics has been
emerged too). Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look to
diagnose this issue? I'm running out of ideas at this point.

thx --

--
Michael J. Barillier /// http://www.blackwolfinfosys.net/~blackwolf/
_O_| Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently

Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Pupino

2008/2/17, Michael J. Barillier <blackwolf@blackwolfinfosys.net>:
> The touchpad on my Acer laptop has stopped working in X after a recent
> `emerge -uD world'. Looking through emerge.log doesn't indicate
> anything hardware-related. The touchpad shows up in dmesg:
>
> ,----
> | Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 6.2, id: 0x12a0b1, caps: 0xa04713/0x204000
> | input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /class/input/input5
> `----
>
> and in /proc/bus/input/devices:
>
> ,----
> | I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=12b1
> | N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> | P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
> | S: Sysfs=/class/input/input5
> | U: Uniq=
> | H: Handlers=mouse0 event5
> | B: EV=b
> | B: KEY=6420 0 7000f 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> | B: ABS=11000003
> `----
>
> and /proc/config.gz says:
>
> ,----
> | CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
> `----
>
> I'd seen references to cat-ing /dev/input/mouse0 and using the touchpad,
> but when I do that no output is generated. xorg.conf has:
>
> ,----
> | Section "InputDevice"
> | Identifier "TouchPad"
> | Driver "synaptics"
> | Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> | Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> | Option "SHMConfig" "on"
> | EndSection
> |
> | Section "ServerLayout"
> | Identifier "X.org Configured"
> | Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> | InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
> | InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> | EndSection
> `----
>
> but the pointer still fails to move (x11-drivers/synaptics has been
> emerged too). Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look to
> diagnose this issue? I'm running out of ideas at this point.
>
> thx --
>
> --
> Michael J. Barillier /// http://www.blackwolfinfosys.net/~blackwolf/
> _O_| Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently
> __O| complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-
> OOO| specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."

have you added INPUT="synaptics" in you /etc/make.conf?
that will cause to build the synaptics module for the xorg server.

HTH
Davide

Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Alexander Meinke

Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 AM
"Michael J. Barillier"

me> The touchpad on my Acer laptop has stopped working in X after a
me> recent `emerge -uD world'.

OK, chalk this one up to luser error. My laptop has a function key to
turn the touchpad on/off, and amazingly enough the touchpad is
responding again. Thanks for the responses --