Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Grant

Default openssl WARNING: Skipping duplicate file cert_igca_rsa.pem

I just noticed this at the end of my openssl emerge:

* Running 'c_rehash /etc/ssl/certs/' to rebuild hashes #333069 ...
WARNING: Skipping duplicate file cert_igca_rsa.pem [ ok ]
>>> dev-libs/openssl-1.0.0e merged.

Since SSL is so critical I thought I should run it by you guys. Is
this something I should fix? I get:

# updatedb && locate cert_igca_rsa.pem
/old-backup-dir/etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
/etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem

- Grant

Old 09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
walt

On 09/08/2011 05:51 PM, Grant wrote:
> I just noticed this at the end of my openssl emerge:
>
> * Running 'c_rehash /etc/ssl/certs/' to rebuild hashes #333069 ...
> WARNING: Skipping duplicate file cert_igca_rsa.pem [ ok ]
>
> Since SSL is so critical I thought I should run it by you guys. Is
> this something I should fix? I get:
>
> # updatedb && locate cert_igca_rsa.pem
> /old-backup-dir/etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
> /etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem

I notice I have these two symlinks in /etc/ssl/certs:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 7 05:23 3ee7e181.0 -> IGC_A.pem
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Sep 7 05:23 3ee7e181.1 -> cert_igca_dsa.pem

After a bit of poking around I see that the ca-certificates package
installs one cert under two different names:

/usr/share/ca-certificates/gouv.fr/cert_igca_rsa.crt
/usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/IGC_A.crt

I don't know where the 3ee7e181 symlinks get their names, but I notice
that the duplicate cert is actually the cert_igca_rsa.crt, not the dsa
cert. That's a bit confusing, but at least it led me to the answer.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Grant

>> I just noticed this at the end of my openssl emerge:
>>
>> * Running 'c_rehash /etc/ssl/certs/' to rebuild hashes #333069 ...
>> WARNING: Skipping duplicate file cert_igca_rsa.pem [ ok ]
>>
>> Since SSL is so critical I thought I should run it by you guys. *Is
>> this something I should fix? *I get:
>>
>> # updatedb && locate cert_igca_rsa.pem
>> /old-backup-dir/etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
>> /etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
>
> I notice I have these two symlinks in /etc/ssl/certs:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root * * *9 Sep *7 05:23 3ee7e181.0 -> IGC_A.pem
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root * * 17 Sep *7 05:23 3ee7e181.1 -> cert_igca_dsa.pem
>
> After a bit of poking around I see that the ca-certificates package
> installs one cert under two different names:
>
> /usr/share/ca-certificates/gouv.fr/cert_igca_rsa.crt
> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/IGC_A.crt
>
> I don't know where the 3ee7e181 symlinks get their names, but I notice
> that the duplicate cert is actually the cert_igca_rsa.crt, not the dsa
> cert. *That's a bit confusing, but at least it led me to the answer.

Nice sleuthing! I can't say I completely understand, but everything
is OK as-is?

- Grant

Old 09-10-2011, 10:56 PM
walt

On 09/10/2011 10:31 AM, Grant wrote:
>>> I just noticed this at the end of my openssl emerge:
>>>
>>> * Running 'c_rehash /etc/ssl/certs/' to rebuild hashes #333069 ...
>>> WARNING: Skipping duplicate file cert_igca_rsa.pem [ ok ]
>>>
>>> Since SSL is so critical I thought I should run it by you guys. Is
>>> this something I should fix? I get:
>>>
>>> # updatedb && locate cert_igca_rsa.pem
>>> /old-backup-dir/etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
>>> /etc/ssl/certs/cert_igca_rsa.pem
>>
>> I notice I have these two symlinks in /etc/ssl/certs:
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 7 05:23 3ee7e181.0 -> IGC_A.pem
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Sep 7 05:23 3ee7e181.1 -> cert_igca_dsa.pem
>>
>> After a bit of poking around I see that the ca-certificates package
>> installs one cert under two different names:
>>
>> /usr/share/ca-certificates/gouv.fr/cert_igca_rsa.crt
>> /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/IGC_A.crt
>>
>> I don't know where the 3ee7e181 symlinks get their names, but I notice
>> that the duplicate cert is actually the cert_igca_rsa.crt, not the dsa
>> cert. That's a bit confusing, but at least it led me to the answer.
>
> Nice sleuthing! I can't say I completely understand, but everything
> is OK as-is?

I don't see how it could be exploited -- but that's not much comfort
for either of us