Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 PM
David Relson

Default virtualbox 4.1.2 problem

G'day,

I'm having a problem with VirtualBox and am looking for ideas.

As background, I'm running virtualbox-bin-4.1.2 on a 2.6.39-gentoo-r2
kernel on an AMD Phenom 9850. My vmware install no longer works
because vmware wants the BKL and the 2.6.39 kernel doesn't have it.
Using vmware-converted the WinXP vmware guest has been converted
to .ova format.

VirtualBox-4.1.2 loads the .ova OK. After clicking "start" the guest
starts up, shows the splash screen, then aborts with a blue screen
saying:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these
steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with
the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS
memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use
Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer,
press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe
Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8053A8E3,0xF779E610,0x00000000)

Using virtualbox-4.1.2 on my wife's Win 7 laptop, the same .ova file
works fine.

Any thoughts on what needs changing in my gentoo environment to
successfully run the guest?

Thank you.

David

P.S. The most recent log file is attached.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:08:21 -0400
David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I'm having a problem with VirtualBox and am looking for ideas.
>
> As background, I'm running virtualbox-bin-4.1.2 on a 2.6.39-gentoo-r2
> kernel on an AMD Phenom 9850. My vmware install no longer works
> because vmware wants the BKL and the 2.6.39 kernel doesn't have it.
> Using vmware-converted the WinXP vmware guest has been converted
> to .ova format.
>
> VirtualBox-4.1.2 loads the .ova OK. After clicking "start" the guest
> starts up, shows the splash screen, then aborts with a blue screen
> saying:
>
> A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
> prevent damage to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
> restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these
> steps:
>
> Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
> identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with
> the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
>
> Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS
> memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use
> Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer,
> press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe
> Mode.
>
> Technical information:
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8053A8E3,0xF779E610,0x00000000)
>
> Using virtualbox-4.1.2 on my wife's Win 7 laptop, the same .ova file
> works fine.
>
> Any thoughts on what needs changing in my gentoo environment to
> successfully run the guest?
>
> Thank you.
>
> David
>
> P.S. The most recent log file is attached.

Did you import the .ova file first?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 AM
David Relson

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:58:21 +0200
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:08:21 -0400
> David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > G'day,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with VirtualBox and am looking for ideas.
> >
> > As background, I'm running virtualbox-bin-4.1.2 on a
> > 2.6.39-gentoo-r2 kernel on an AMD Phenom 9850. My vmware install
> > no longer works because vmware wants the BKL and the 2.6.39 kernel
> > doesn't have it. Using vmware-converted the WinXP vmware guest has
> > been converted to .ova format.
> >
> > VirtualBox-4.1.2 loads the .ova OK. After clicking "start" the
> > guest starts up, shows the splash screen, then aborts with a blue
> > screen saying:
> >
> > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
> > prevent damage to your computer.
> >
> > If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
> > restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
> > these steps:
> >
> > Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
> > identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with
> > the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video
> > adapters.
> >
> > Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable
> > BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use
> > Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your
> > computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then
> > select Safe Mode.
> >
> > Technical information:
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 running Load avg: 1.05,
>>> 0.72, 0.55 Emerging (1 of 1) app-emulation/virtualbox-4.1.2
>>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 running Load avg: 1.05,
>>> 0.72, 0.55 Jobs: 0 of 1 complete Load
>>> avg: 2.10, 3.99, 3.56
> >
> > *** STOP: 0x0000008E
> > (0xC0000005,0x8053A8E3,0xF779E610,0x00000000)
> >
> > Using virtualbox-4.1.2 on my wife's Win 7 laptop, the same .ova file
> > works fine.
> >
> > Any thoughts on what needs changing in my gentoo environment to
> > successfully run the guest?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > David
> >
> > P.S. The most recent log file is attached.
> >

> Did you import the .ova file first?

Yes. I imported the .ova file -- a process that took several minutes
and resulted in .vbox (6.5K) and .vmdk (7.4G) files in directory
~/VirtualBox/Machines/WinXP.

In the log file (attached to the original message) can be seen the
following "VM state" messages:

00:00:01.535 Changing the VM state from 'CREATING' to 'CREATED'.
00:00:01.535 Changing the VM state from 'CREATED' to 'POWERING_ON'.
00:00:01.535 Changing the VM state from 'POWERING_ON' to 'RUNNING'.
00:00:29.481 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'RESETTING'.
00:00:29.509 Changing the VM state from 'RESETTING' to 'RUNNING'.
00:00:35.391 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'.
00:00:35.420 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDING' to 'SUSPENDED'.
00:00:38.711 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'POWERING_OFF'.
00:00:38.711 Changing the VM state from 'POWERING_OFF' to 'OFF'.
00:00:38.722 Changing the VM state from 'OFF' to 'DESTROYING'.
00:00:38.731 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'.

Looking at the log file, I interpret "RESETTING to RUNNING" as good,
and the messages after that as bad, i.e. indicating that vbox wasn't
happy with the VM.

Why vbox wasn't happy is not at all clear to me.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

David