Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Opera browser set home page

Pretty lame and pretty OT, but here it is:

I've installed Opera... in the last 40 min or so, I've attempted to
determine how to set a home page. Googled etc.

Directions found on google appear NOT to apply to linux version.

Navigate to and click the preferences link at top of opera page.

NOT... there is no such link.

So, how is it done... well maybe a preferences file found in ~/.opera/

vim operaprefs.ini ... and then insert:
Home URL=www.google.com/ig
(save and restart) .. once again NOT.

Even watched a video... which shows a nice person clicking on
preferences Icon... but well ... there isn't one. Check all available
toolbars by clicking `customize' on existing top mast but not finding
a menu like that.

Is opera really so poorly designed as to make such a simple operation
so time consuming, or am I missing something really basic (as usual).

How is such a simple operation done?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Stefano Crocco

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 07:16:11 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Pretty lame and pretty OT, but here it is:
>
> I've installed Opera... in the last 40 min or so, I've attempted to
> determine how to set a home page. Googled etc.
>
> Directions found on google appear NOT to apply to linux version.
>
> Navigate to and click the preferences link at top of opera page.
>
> NOT... there is no such link.
>
> So, how is it done... well maybe a preferences file found in ~/.opera/
>
> vim operaprefs.ini ... and then insert:
> Home URL=www.google.com/ig
> (save and restart) .. once again NOT.
>
> Even watched a video... which shows a nice person clicking on
> preferences Icon... but well ... there isn't one. Check all available
> toolbars by clicking `customize' on existing top mast but not finding
> a menu like that.
>
> Is opera really so poorly designed as to make such a simple operation
> so time consuming, or am I missing something really basic (as usual).
>
> How is such a simple operation done?

Are you asking how to set the page which opens the first time you launch
Opera? With the version I have installed (11.50.1074), you have to click on
the Opera button, just below the title bar and at the left of the first open
tab. A menu will popup. There you'll find a 'Settings' menu and a
'Preferences' submenu inside it. Clicking on Preferences displays a dialog
where, in the General tab, you can choose the starting page. There you can
also tell Opera to always load a saved session or the last used one.

Please, be aware the names of menus and dialogs I mentioned above may be
slightly different from those: I have installed Opera in Italian, so I don't
kown what are the English versions of the names.

I hope this helps

Stefano

Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Harry Putnam

Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@alice.it> writes:

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you have to click on the Opera
> button, just below the title bar and at the left of the first open
> tab. A menu will popup.

Many thanks friend. That one bit is the key to all of it. Just a
small mention somewhere obvious would have been so welcome.

Thanks again

Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 07 Sep 2011 21:48:44 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@alice.it> writes:
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you have to click on the Opera
> > button, just below the title bar and at the left of the first open
> > tab. A menu will popup.
>
> Many thanks friend. That one bit is the key to all of it. Just a
> small mention somewhere obvious would have been so welcome.
>
> Thanks again

Alternatively, type opera:config in the address bar and all options will be
available to you in the GUI.

What you were missing before was the selection to enable the Home URL upon
start up.

Both of these settings are under the section User Prefs. You will need to
select Startup Type 2.
Mick