FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Graham Murray
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
-r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Sebastian Beßler
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Am 05.09.2011 23:00, schrieb Graham Murray:
> Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
> is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
> rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
> then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
> -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.

The testing ~arch is the place where the active ebuild development and
bugfixing takes place so such a thing is not unusual there. One of the
risks of ~arch.

Greetings

Sebastian
 
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Graham Murray wonders:

> Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
> is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
> rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
> then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
> -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.

Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
the cups USE flag has been removed. I would have preferred if the ebuild
got a -r2 so I could simply mask it, as compiling it again would not
change a thing when the cups USE flag was enabled already.

Wonko
 
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:34:22 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
> the cups USE flag has been removed. I would have preferred if the ebuild
> got a -r2 so I could simply mask it, as compiling it again would not
> change a thing when the cups USE flag was enabled already.

Policy is to not bump the revision if the code it installs is the same.
It could be considered a bug in portage that this change results in a
rebuild with --changed-use.

You can stop it happening by removing cups from
/var/db/pkg/app-office/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1/USE, which fools portage
into thinking it was installed without the flag.


--
Neil Bothwick

"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."
- Mark Twain
 
Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:34:22 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
>
> > Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
> > the cups USE flag has been removed. I would have preferred if the
> > ebuild got a -r2 so I could simply mask it, as compiling it again
> > would not change a thing when the cups USE flag was enabled already.
>
> Policy is to not bump the revision if the code it installs is the same.

Hmm, that's right, too.

> It could be considered a bug in portage that this change results in a
> rebuild with --changed-use.
>
> You can stop it happening by removing cups from
> /var/db/pkg/app-office/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1/USE, which fools portage
> into thinking it was installed without the flag.

Neat! Thanks, I didn't think about that. Works fine, emerge -Dautv
--changed-use @world no longer picks up libreoffice.

Wonko
 
Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Alan Mackenzie
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Hi, Alex.

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:34:22PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Graham Murray wonders:

> > Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
> > is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
> > rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
> > then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
> > -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.

> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
> the cups USE flag has been removed.

What??? I run lprng on my machine, not cups. Does that mean that
libreoffice will be broken the next time I update? Please tell me I've
misunderstood what you've just said.

Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance, its
wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration. Surely I'm
not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or using
cups?

> I would have preferred if the ebuild got a -r2 so I could simply mask
> it, as compiling it again would not change a thing when the cups USE
> flag was enabled already.

> Wonko

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
 
Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Brennan Shacklett
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

On
Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

Hi, Alex.



On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 11:34:22PM +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Graham Murray wonders:



> > Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today

> > is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has

> > rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,

> > then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an

> > -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.



> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so

> the cups USE flag has been removed.



What??? *I run lprng on my machine, not cups. *Does that mean that

libreoffice will be broken the next time I update? *Please tell me I've

misunderstood what you've just said.



Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance, its

wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration. *Surely I'm

not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or using

cups?



> I would have preferred if the ebuild got a -r2 so I could simply mask

> it, as compiling it again would not change a thing when the cups USE

> flag was enabled already.



> * * * Wonko



--

Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).



I'm afraid that cups is now a mandatory dependency for libreoffice, just check in the ebuild.

libreoffice will still work without cups running though, you just can't print...

--Brennan
 
Old 09-06-2011, 02:19 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

On 2011-09-05, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Graham Murray wonders:
>
>> Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems? Today
>> is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD world has
>> rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use flag change,
>> then the next day a new version was put in the tree, then there was an
>> -r1 release and today there is yet another use flag change.
>
> Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now,

What??

So if I don't have a printer, and have no intention of printing
anything from this system, libreoffice requires that I install Cups?

Sounds like it's time to switch back to OOo.

--
Grant
 
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Alex Schuster
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

Alan Mackenzie writes:

> Hi, Alex.

> > Graham Murray wonders:
>
> > > Has the libreoffice ebuild suddenly developed stability problems?
> > > Today is the 4th time in five days that my daily ~x86 emerge uD
> > > world has rebuilt libreoffice. On 1st Sept it was because of a use
> > > flag change, then the next day a new version was put in the tree,
> > > then there was an -r1 release and today there is yet another use
> > > flag change.
>
> > Same here on ~amd64. The last change is that cups is mandatory now, so
> > the cups USE flag has been removed.
>
> What??? I run lprng on my machine, not cups. Does that mean that
> libreoffice will be broken the next time I update? Please tell me I've
> misunderstood what you've just said.

I don't know much about this, I just did a
diff /var/db/pkg/app-office/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1.ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/libreoffice/libreoffice-3.4.3.2-r1.ebuild.
The IUSE line no longer has cups, the dependency of net-print/cups is
mandatory, and --enable-cups is always given as configure option. Yes,
this means you will need cups. I don't know if you somehow could
still print when it is not configured.

> Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance,
> its wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration. Surely
> I'm not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or
> using cups?

Printing is one thing that just seems to work much better on Windows. This
is becoming better, it looks like the LibreOffice and Firefox print
dialogs allow to set print features like the resolution. But other
applications, like Konqueror, do not have this option, so I have multiple
printers configured in order to select the resolution. BTW, how is
your situation with lprng now, can you change the resolution in Firefox'
print dialog?

I never liked CUPS, but then, at least there is some interface
to configure its options. I don't do much printing anyway, so I can live
with that. Well, seems I have to.

Wonko
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:12:08 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Printing is one thing that just seems to work much better on Windows.
> This is becoming better, it looks like the LibreOffice and Firefox print
> dialogs allow to set print features like the resolution. But other
> applications, like Konqueror, do not have this option, so I have
> multiple printers configured in order to select the resolution.

You can do it, but the option is fairly well hidden. In the print window,
select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Double-click the resolution and
it turns into a drop-down menu.

I think this system was designed by the previous owner of my house, who
put light switches inside cupboards.


--
Neil Bothwick

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org