Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Pandu Poluan

Default How can I re-read the "error" messages during boot?

I rebooted a Gentoo system, and as I watched the boot-up messages,
some "error"s appeared when it's starting the services. However, the
screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.

Where can I find the logs on the services? Or is there a way to slow
down booting?

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

Â*• LOPSA Member #15248
Â*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
Â*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I rebooted a Gentoo system, and as I watched the boot-up messages,
> some "error"s appeared when it's starting the services. However, the
> screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.
>
> Where can I find the logs on the services? Or is there a way to slow
> down booting?

You can press 'I' during boot to go into interactive mode, and then
OpenRC will ask you before starting any service. You can also call
rc-status to see the status of each service.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Alex Schuster

Pandu Poluan writes:

> I rebooted a Gentoo system, and as I watched the boot-up messages,
> some "error"s appeared when it's starting the services. However, the
> screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.
>
> Where can I find the logs on the services?

If you set rc_logger="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, you can find the boot log
in /var/log/rc.log.

> Or is there a way to slow down booting?

Try pressing Ctrl-S to stop the output. Ctrl-Q to continue.

Wonko

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM
David Abbott

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I rebooted a Gentoo system, and as I watched the boot-up messages,
> some "error"s appeared when it's starting the services. However, the
> screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.
>
> Where can I find the logs on the services? Or is there a way to slow
> down booting?

Enable logging or you may find it with dmesg
grep rc_logger /etc/rc.conf
then you can grep errors
grep WARNING /var/log/rc.log
HTH

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 21:06, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Pandu Poluan writes:
>
>> I rebooted a Gentoo system, and as I watched the boot-up messages,
>> some "error"s appeared when it's starting the services. However, the
>> screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.
>>
>> Where can I find the logs on the services?
>
> If you set rc_logger="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, you can find the boot log
> in /var/log/rc.log.
>
>> Or is there a way to slow down booting?
>
> Try pressing Ctrl-S to stop the output. Ctrl-Q to continue.
>
> Â* Â* Â* Â*Wonko

Thanks, Alex & David.

Yeah, *just* noticed there's an 'rc_logger' setting in rc.conf, before
reading your emails :-P

But thanks for the help, anyways! Much appreciated :-)

Rgds,

Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Philip Webb

110905 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> as I watched the boot-up messages, some "error"s appeared.
> However, the screen scrolled too damn fast for me to read them.
> Where can I find the logs on the services?

'Shift-PageUp' works for me: IIRC you have to set the line limit
& that mb somewhere in the Kernel configuration.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 'Shift-PageUp' works for me: IIRC you have to set the line limit
> & that mb somewhere in the Kernel configuration.

If you use fbcon there is a kernel parameter to increase the buffer
size. I don't remember the exact command but it's in the docs.

I think the default buffer is 32k and can be increased up to 128k or
so. The size of your font may impact how many "pages" of scrollback
you get.