Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Willie Wong

Default Missing .config

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:02:28AM -0500, Penguin Lover sean squawked:
> I was updating my system and the nvidia drivers complained that there
> was no .config in /usr/src/linux.
>
> I looked at it was gone.
> This has happened before.
> Is this some bug?
> I am running on amd64.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have a current copy of .config.
> Does anyone know a less painful way of rebuilding than through make
> menuconfig?
> I have got to remember to make a backup.

I usually keep a copy in /boot just in case (not like I am using the
space for anything else...)

If you have enabled the option in the kernel, you can access the
current configs via zcat /proc/config.gz, but like I said, you needed
to have the foresight to have enabled the option.

Also, check the symlink for /usr/src/linux? You might have the symlink
USE flag set, then if the 'updating of the system' brought in a new
kernel tree, your /usr/src/linux will point to the now new and
unconfigured version.

Regaeds,

A gossip is someone with a great sense of rumour.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 435 days, 14:52

Old 02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Dale

sean wrote:

I was updating my system and the nvidia drivers complained that there
was no .config in /usr/src/linux.

I looked at it was gone.
This has happened before.
Is this some bug?
I am running on amd64.

Unfortunately I do not have a current copy of .config.
Does anyone know a less painful way of rebuilding than through make
menuconfig?
I have got to remember to make a backup.

Thanks
Sean

The system may have a generated copy here: /proc/config.gz Just unzip
it to /usr/src/linux and see if that works.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 16 February 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> So, you have the symlink useflag enabled?
>
> Just look into your old kernel-dir. And don't remove that stuff.
>
> You might also find the config in /boot. If you used make install to
> install your kernel.

And it should also be possible to recreate the config from the running
kernel by using

zcat /proc/kconfig.gz > .config

if the running kernel has been compiled with the /proc/kconfig option.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 16 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> zcat /proc/kconfig.gz > .config

Typo: the file is called /proc/config.gz, without the "k".

Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Chris Brennan

Little FYI/Tip or you. When I build a kernel, I do something like the
following:

Leviathan boot # tree
.
|-- 2.6.23-r6
| |-- Config.Leviathan
| |-- Leviathan
| `-- System.map-Leviathan
|-- 2.6.23-r8
| |-- Config.Leviathan
| |-- Leviathan
| `-- System.map-Leviathan
|-- boot -> .
|-- grub
| |-- default
| |-- device.map
| |-- e2fs_stage1_5
| |-- fat_stage1_5
| |-- ffs_stage1_5
| |-- grub.conf
| |-- grub.conf.sample
| |-- grub.conf~
| |-- iso9660_stage1_5
| |-- jfs_stage1_5
| |-- menu.lst -> grub.conf
| |-- minix_stage1_5
| |-- reiserfs_stage1_5
| |-- splash.xpm.gz
| |-- stage1
| |-- stage2
| |-- stage2_eltorito
| |-- ufs2_stage1_5
| |-- vstafs_stage1_5
| `-- xfs_stage1_5
`-- lost+found

5 directories, 26 files
Leviathan boot #

As you can see, for each kernel I make, I copy the .config to the
/boot/<`uname-r`>/ dir so that I always have a copy.

But to answer your original request, you can try looking for
/proc/config.gz .... there is an option (I believe it is the default
setting) to throw a copy of /usr/src/linux/.config in there. If it is
there, you can do something like this

- -> gzcat /proc/config.gz >>/usr/src/linux/.config <--

Give that a shot and see what happens.

################################################## ###############################
# NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail and any attachments to it may
#
# contain privileged and confidential information from XaeroLimit
#
# Industries or its affiliates. This information is only for the
viewing #
# or use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, #
# you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use #
# of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon, the information
#
# contained in this e-mail, or any of the attachments to this e-mail,
#
# is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
#
# please immediately notify the sender by replying to this message and
#
# delete it from your system. #