Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default What do new keywords mean?

Whilst spelunking through ebuild files I notice that in addition to
the usual ~amd64 and ~x86 keywords, I also see ~amd64-linux and
~x86-linux. What is the significance of this?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 AM
JD Horelick

On 5 September 2011 02:24, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> *Whilst spelunking through ebuild files I notice that in addition to
> the usual ~amd64 and ~x86 keywords, I also see ~amd64-linux and
> ~x86-linux. *What is the significance of this?
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

As far as I am aware, Gentoo now supports something called prefix
installations where you can use portage on top of (at least some of)
the BSD's and Solaris and some old-school Unixes and other operating
systems that aren't linux, the ~x86-linux keywords are to just signify
that it's only being stabilised for linux, not any of the other
operating systems. I could be wrong though.