Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Default Correct way to modify keymaps for X & console

Hi,

I want to modify some of the keymappings of my keyboard.
The last time (some ages ago ) I did this with the help
of xkeycaps, xmodmap and an appropiate .xmodmap file at $HOME.
And time passes by...

Now I have:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf with its Options for the Input Device class
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.con
setxkbmap
and still
xmodmap
and at least a nonsense displaying and confused
xkeycaps
despite the fact that my keyboard creates the characters, which
I would exspect -- the changes I want to make to some
funtion keys are enhancements and no error corrections.

I am running Linux 3.0.4 vanilla kernel with a recent Gentoo
using a 102 key QWERTZ (german layout) keyboard (no Windows-
key, no media keys no other gismos...only the "alphabet and friends"
(no punt intended!)...

My questions are:
What is the sane method to modify the keymapping and related options?
How can I get xkeycaps back to normal?

Best regards and have a nice weekend!
mcc