Old 09-02-2011, 03:34 PM
James

Default equery depends =dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

SO

It is time to remove
dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

But, I do not believe the results of this
command, as python-2.7x has been installed
on this system for some time. I have updated
many times with -D and rebuild @system recently.

Still many packages are listed as depending specifically
on dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2.

Is there a better command/syntax to use to flush out
what is still dependent on an old/slotted version
of python. python-updater is periodically run on the
system, just in case anyone thinks that is the issue.

curiously,
James

Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> It is time to remove
> dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

emerge --depclean -pv =dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/python
selected: 2.6.6-r2
protected: none
omitted: 2.7.1-r1 3.1.3-r1

All selected packages: dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2
Packages installed: 1289
Packages in world: 101
Packages in system: 45
Required packages: 1287
Number to remove: 1

CAN I TRUST this syntax to test for packages to remove?

James

Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:59 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>

>> It is time to remove
>> dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2
>
> emerge --depclean -pv =dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

> *dev-lang/python
> * *selected: 2.6.6-r2
> * protected: none
> * * omitted: 2.7.1-r1 3.1.3-r1
>
> All selected packages: dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2
> Packages installed: * 1289
> Packages in world: * *101
> Packages in system: * 45
> Required packages: * *1287
> Number to remove: * * 1
>

> CAN I TRUST this syntax to test for packages to remove?
>

> James

I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just -C?

Prior to doing anything please ensure that you have eselect python
setup correctly for a python-2.7 package that's on the machine.

HTH,
Mark

Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Is there a better command/syntax to use to flush out
> what is still dependent on an old/slotted version
> of python. python-updater is periodically run on the
> system, just in case anyone thinks that is the issue.

Sorry, I should have addressed this last question. Try:

equery depends python-2.6.6-r2

and carefully go through the output posting back any addition info and
questions.

HTH,
Mark

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM
James

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > emerge --depclean -pv =dev-lang/python-2.6.6-r2

> I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just -C?

I found this syntax googling (hi Neil)...

Since the purpose is to remove pacakges, I guess depclean works the
best? Dunno really, just found it googling.

> Prior to doing anything please ensure that you have eselect python
> setup correctly for a python-2.7 package that's on the machine.

It has been set to 2.7 for a long time.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Sebastian Beßler
<sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:
> Am 02.09.2011 18:09, schrieb Mark Knecht:
>
>> I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just -C?
>
> If you unmerge with -C you have to be sure that nothing needs it as a
> dependency. Using --depclean helps because it checks that and only
> unmerges if nothing needs it as a dependency anymore.
>
> Greetings
>
> Sebastian

Fair enough. Thanks. Presumably the use of --depclean doesn't work
until you're clear with emerge -DuN @world?

I've used this stuff so long I've not learned many of the newer tricks
I think. Good stuff.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Brennan Shacklett

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Sebastian Beßler

<sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:

> Am 02.09.2011 18:09, schrieb Mark Knecht:

>> I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just -C?

> If you unmerge with -C you have to be sure that nothing needs it as a

> dependency. Using --depclean helps because it checks that and only

> unmerges if nothing needs it as a dependency anymore.

> Greetings

> Sebastian

Fair enough. Thanks. Presumably the use of --depclean doesn't work

until you're clear with emerge -DuN @world?

I've used this stuff so long I've not learned many of the newer tricks

I think. Good stuff.

Cheers,

Mark

It depends on the package you're trying to remove, but often in my
experience when using depclean on a single package it works fine without
updating world.
Also, -c is an alias for --depclean.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:17:57 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> >> I believe you can trust it, but why use --depclean instead of just
> >> -C?
> >
> > If you unmerge with -C you have to be sure that nothing needs it as a
> > dependency. Using --depclean helps because it checks that and only
> > unmerges if nothing needs it as a dependency anymore.
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > Sebastian
>
> Fair enough. Thanks. Presumably the use of --depclean doesn't work
> until you're clear with emerge -DuN @world?
>
> I've used this stuff so long I've not learned many of the newer tricks
> I think. Good stuff.

I believe the -C output recommends using --depclean instead now.

--
Neil Bothwick

This chicken has no beak, said Tom impeccably.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Nikos Chantziaras