Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

Default Wireless Configuration...

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I still haven't decided what to get for my system to replace the NIC with, but the card I have should be working with my existing 802.11g network already; however, it doesn't - I have had to connect my laptop via Ethernet cable to my wireless bridge to get network access.
>
> /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 starts, but goes immediately inactive. From what I can find on-line, this seems to have been something common after moving to Base Layout 2/OpenRC; however, I couldn't find anything that specified what the actual solution was - I think most ended up doing a complete reinstall of their wicd/wpa-supplicant software - either way details were lacking.* I've successfully had wpa-supplicant working in the past, and as a result of all of this I've tried to get it up through the other method too (iwconfig?), but no success. (I think I have managed to get it to scan some, but not sufficiently and certainly no connections.)

Did you followed the instructions at

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

specifically the network section?

> Anyone see this issue and know what the solution is? I'd like to at least get my 802.11g access back - the current setup is a bit of a pain and very limiting.

Since you use a laptop, I will assume you have either KDE, GNOME or
Xfce. If that's the case, why don't you try NetworkManager or connman,
and use the GUI thingy to do the work for you? I haven't manually
configured a wireless network in years, and I have been the last three
months traveling with my laptop literally all over the world,
connecting to all kinds of access points.

NetworkMnager just works, but I also hear great comments about connman.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
BRM

>> I still haven't decided what to get for my system to replace the NIC
> with, but the card I have should be working with my existing 802.11g network
> already; however, it doesn't - I have had to connect my laptop via Ethernet
> cable to my wireless bridge to get network access.
>>
>> /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 starts, but goes immediately inactive. From what I
> can find on-line, this seems to have been something common after moving to Base
> Layout 2/OpenRC; however, I couldn't find anything that specified what the
> actual solution was - I think most ended up doing a complete reinstall of their
> wicd/wpa-supplicant software - either way details were lacking.* I've
> successfully had wpa-supplicant working in the past, and as a result of all of
> this I've tried to get it up through the other method too (iwconfig?), but
> no success. (I think I have managed to get it to scan some, but not sufficiently
> and certainly no connections.)
>
> Did you followed the instructions at
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> specifically the network section?

Yes, I believe so. It's been a while since I made the migration, but the wireless configuration seems to have broken about the same time.

The wired configuration works just fine, and the guide mentions nothing about Wireless changes - e.g. WPA Supplicant - and that's where the problem is.
*
>> Anyone see this issue and know what the solution is? I'd like to at
> least get my 802.11g access back - the current setup is a bit of a pain and very
> limiting.
>
> Since you use a laptop, I will assume you have either KDE, GNOME or
> Xfce. If that's the case, why don't you try NetworkManager or connman,
> and use the GUI thingy to do the work for you? I haven't manually
> configured a wireless network in years, and I have been the last three
> months traveling with my laptop literally all over the world,
> connecting to all kinds of access points.
> NetworkMnager just works, but I also hear great comments about connman.

I'm using KDE, yes. I've tried the tools but it doesn't seem to ever scan for a wireless network on its own, and the scans I have been able to force don't result in a connection - they don't even find the network I'm trying to attach it to.* Prior to the change, I could get WPA Supplicant to connect to my wireless, though I did have to have it specifically configured to do so. It wouldn't typically work using the tools for the one wireless network, while I could get it to for others (hotels, other places, etc.).

I have added another network that is configured a little differently that I would prefer to connect to (over the old one), but at the moment I'll take either. (The new 802.11g network uses WPA2; the old one uses WEP+Shared.)

Ben

Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Mick

On Friday 02 Sep 2011 14:38:56 BRM wrote:
> [...]

Assuming that you have built in your kernel or loaded the driver module for
your NIC and any firmware blobs have also been loaded, please show:

/etc/conf.d/net

and

grep ^[^#] /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Mick

Old 09-03-2011, 02:14 PM
BRM

> On Friday 02 Sep 2011 14:38:56 BRM wrote:

Yes. As I noted, it's worked before. The driver loads it find the firmware, etc.
Configuration information is below.
*
> /etc/conf.d/net

# This is a network block that connects to any unsecured access point.
# We give it a low priority so any defined blocks are preferred.
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
#ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
# This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
# scripts in /etc/init.d.* To create a more complete configuration,
# please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
# in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).

# Standard Network:
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

dns_domain_lo="coal"
# Wireless Network:
# TBD
#config_wlan0 ( "wpa_supplicant" )
#

# Enable this to use WPA supplicant; however, need to change the configuration of the Wireless first.
modules=( "!plug" "!iwconfig" "wpa_supplicant" )
#modules=( "!plug" "wpa_supplicant" )
#modules=("iwconfig")
#wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
#wpa_timeout_wlan0=15

#modules=("iwconfig")
#iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
#wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
*
> and*
>
> grep ^[^#] /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
country=US

# Home Network
#network={
#****** ssid="MY-NETWORK"
#****** key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
#****** eap=TLS
#****** wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
#****** priority=1
#****** auth_alg=SHARED
#}
#
#network={
#****** key_mgmt=NONE
#****** priority=-9999999
#}

The network information is commented out as I was trying to get it to work with the normal user-space tools (e.g. Network Manager); however, it is no longer working in that configuration either. It doesn't seem to ever get to doing the SCAN portion of trying to find networks.

I can see wlan0 in wpa_gui, but I can't get it to scan at all. And I'd much rather use Network Manager if I could over wpa_gui; but it doesn't even see wlan0 (it happily finds eth0, my wired NIC.)

Ben

Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Mick

On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 15:14:27 BRM wrote:
> [...]

I think the above should be either:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

or,

DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel

> #ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
> # scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
> # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
> # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
>
> # Standard Network:
> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now deprecated. You
should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the above
becomes:

config_eth0="dhcp"

This is explained in: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

> dns_domain_lo="coal"
> # Wireless Network:
> # TBD
> #config_wlan0 ( "wpa_supplicant" )
> #
>
> # Enable this to use WPA supplicant; however, need to change the
> configuration of the Wireless first. modules=( "!plug" "!iwconfig"
> "wpa_supplicant" )
> #modules=( "!plug" "wpa_supplicant" )
> #modules=("iwconfig")
> #wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
> #wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
>
> #modules=("iwconfig")
> #iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
> #wpa_timeout_wlan0=15

You should also add something like:

modules="wpa_supplicant"
wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
config_wlan0="dhcp"

> > and
> >
> > grep ^[^#] /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> country=US
>
> # Home Network
> #network={
> # ssid="MY-NETWORK"
> # key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
> # eap=TLS
> # wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
> # priority=1
> # auth_alg=SHARED
> #}
> #
> #network={
> # key_mgmt=NONE
> # priority=-9999999
> #}
>
> The network information is commented out as I was trying to get it to work
> with the normal user-space tools (e.g. Network Manager); however, it is no
> longer working in that configuration either. It doesn't seem to ever get
> to doing the SCAN portion of trying to find networks.
>
> I can see wlan0 in wpa_gui, but I can't get it to scan at all. And I'd much
> rather use Network Manager if I could over wpa_gui; but it doesn't even
> see wlan0 (it happily finds eth0, my wired NIC.)
>
> Ben

You need to add or uncomment the following to your wpa_supplicant.conf:
=====================
network={
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=0
}
=====================

The above will let latch on the first available AP.

Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what not:
=====================
# Home Network
network={
ssid="MY-NETWORK"
# key_mgmt=IEEE8021X <--You don't need these entries here, unless
# eap=TLS <--you run SSL certs for authentication
wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
priority=1
auth_alg=OPEN
}
=====================

and something like this for WPA2:
=====================
network={
ssid="what-ever"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
auth_alg=OPEN
group=CCMP
psk"pass_123456789"
priority=5
=====================

Something like the above should get you online again, but you may need to
experiment with different settings depending on the encryption used by the
chosen AP.

When wardriving open the wpa_gui, scan and double-click on your desired AP.
Then enter the key for it (if it has one) and you should be able to associate.
At that point dhcpcd will kick in and you'll get an IP address and be able to
connect to the Internet (as long as the AP is not asking for DNS
authentication or some such security measure).

Of course if you use networkmanager you do not need to use wpa_gui.
Mick

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
BRM

> On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 15:14:27 BRM wrote:

Ok. Corrected that to the first one.
*
>> #ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>> ap_scan=1
>> fast_reauth=1
>> # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
>> # scripts in /etc/init.d.* To create a more complete configuration,
>> # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
>> # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
>>
>> # Standard Network:
>> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

> The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now deprecated.*
> You
> should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the above
> becomes:
>
> config_eth0="dhcp"
>
> This is explained in: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Corrected that one too. eth0 was working fine though.
*
>> dns_domain_lo="coal"
>> # Wireless Network:
>> # TBD
>> #config_wlan0 ( "wpa_supplicant" )
>> #
>>
>> # Enable this to use WPA supplicant; however, need to change the
>> configuration of the Wireless first. modules=( "!plug"
> "!iwconfig"
>> "wpa_supplicant" )
>> #modules=( "!plug" "wpa_supplicant" )
>> #modules=("iwconfig")
>> #wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
>> #wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
>>
>> #modules=("iwconfig")
>> #iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
>> #wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
>
> You should also add something like:
>
> modules="wpa_supplicant"
> wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
> config_wlan0="dhcp"

I re-enabled those and added the last line.
*

>> > and
>> >
>> > grep ^[^#] /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
>> ap_scan=1
>> fast_reauth=1
>> country=US
>>
>> # Home Network
>> #network={
>> #* * * ssid="MY-NETWORK"
>> #* * * key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
>> #* * * eap=TLS
>> #* * * wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
>> #* * * priority=1
>> #* * * auth_alg=SHARED
>> #}
>> #
>> #network={
>> #* * * key_mgmt=NONE
>> #* * * priority=-9999999
>> #}
>>
>> The network information is commented out as I was trying to get it to work
>> with the normal user-space tools (e.g. Network Manager); however, it is no
>> longer working in that configuration either. It doesn't seem to ever
> get
>> to doing the SCAN portion of trying to find networks.
>>
>> I can see wlan0 in wpa_gui, but I can't get it to scan at all. And
> I'd much
>> rather use Network Manager if I could over wpa_gui; but it doesn't even
>> see wlan0 (it happily finds eth0, my wired NIC.)
>>
>> Ben
>
> You need to add or uncomment the following to your wpa_supplicant.conf:
> =====================
> network={
> * * * * key_mgmt=NONE
> * * * * priority=0
> }
> =====================
> The above will let latch on the first available AP.

I wasn't sure that that one was for. I've re-enabled it and the original one for my network.
*
> Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what not:
> =====================
> # Home Network
> network={
> * * * ssid="MY-NETWORK"
> #* * * key_mgmt=IEEE8021X* <--You don't need these entries here, unless
> #* * * eap=TLS* * * * * * <--you run SSL certs for authentication
> * * * wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
> * * * priority=1
> * * * auth_alg=OPEN
> }
> =====================

Interestingly, wpa_supplicant complains if those two lines are not there even though I am not doing SSL auth.
*
> and something like this for WPA2:
> =====================
> network={
> * * * * ssid="what-ever"
> * * * * proto=RSN
> * * * * key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> * * * * pairwise=CCMP
> * * * * auth_alg=OPEN
> *** *** group=CCMP
> *** *** psk"pass_123456789"
> *** *** priority=5
> =====================

I want to try to get away from adding things directly to the wpa_supplicant.conf file as I would rather that the connection information be managed by a GUI tool.
*
> Something like the above should get you online again, but you may need to
> experiment with different settings depending on the encryption used by the
> chosen AP.
>
> When wardriving open the wpa_gui, scan and double-click on your desired AP.*
> Then enter the key for it (if it has one) and you should be able to associate.*
> At that point dhcpcd will kick in and you'll get an IP address and be able
> connect to the Internet (as long as the AP is not asking for DNS
> authentication or some such security measure).
>
> Of course if you use networkmanager you do not need to use wpa_gui.

I'd rather use the NetworkManager in KDE than wpa_gui.

That said, NetworkManager in KDE seems to be using wicd for some reason.

I also have KDE running under Kubuntu on my work computer (4.6.2) and the Network Manager is completely different (don't know why) - it's not wicd as far as I can tell.

However, They are still not working. wpa_gui refuses to scan and find networks; while wicd is not finding networks either - but there's so little information in the GUI that it is practically useless to say why.
Perhaps I've got something at the KDE layer screwed up?

I also updated everything so I am now using KDE 4.6.5 (I think it was 4.6.2 or 4.6.3 before).

TIA,

Ben

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:
> [...]

Fine. I note that you said the wpa_gui won't scan further down this thread,
just in case ... is your user part of the wheel group?

> >> #ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> >> ap_scan=1
> >> fast_reauth=1
> >> # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
> >> # scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
> >> # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
> >> # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
> >>
> >> # Standard Network:
> >> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
> >
> > The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now deprecated.
> > You
> > should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the above
> > becomes:
> >
> > config_eth0="dhcp"
> >
> > This is explained in: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> Corrected that one too. eth0 was working fine though.

Yes, because eth0 will default to dhcp, after the old syntax you were using
errors out or is ignored.

> > modules="wpa_supplicant"
> > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
> > config_wlan0="dhcp"
>
> I re-enabled those and added the last line.

OK, wpa_supplicant should now work as intended.

> > You need to add or uncomment the following to your wpa_supplicant.conf:
> > =====================
> > network={
> > key_mgmt=NONE
> > priority=0
> > }
> > =====================
> > The above will let latch on the first available AP.
>
> I wasn't sure that that one was for. I've re-enabled it and the original
> one for my network.

OK, this is useful for open AP which accept connections. If they need
encryption you can add this using the wpa_gui.

> > Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what
> > not: =====================
> > # Home Network
> > network={
> > ssid="MY-NETWORK"
> > # key_mgmt=IEEE8021X <--You don't need these entries here, unless
> > # eap=TLS <--you run SSL certs for authentication
> > wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
> > priority=1
> > auth_alg=OPEN
> > }
> > =====================
>
> Interestingly, wpa_supplicant complains if those two lines are not there
> even though I am not doing SSL auth.

Hmm ... what is the error/warning that comes up?

Either way, can you please add:

eapol_version=1

> > and something like this for WPA2:
> > =====================
> > network={
> > ssid="what-ever"
> > proto=RSN
> > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> > pairwise=CCMP
> > auth_alg=OPEN
> > group=CCMP
> > psk"pass_123456789"
> > priority=5
> > =====================
>
> I want to try to get away from adding things directly to the
> wpa_supplicant.conf file as I would rather that the connection information
> be managed by a GUI tool.

You should be able to add such details in the GUI of choice. Adding them in
wpa_supplicant.conf means that they should appear already filled in the GUI.

> I'd rather use the NetworkManager in KDE than wpa_gui.
>
> That said, NetworkManager in KDE seems to be using wicd for some reason.

You need someone else to chime in here, because I use neither of these. As
far as I read in this M/L wicd is more or less fool-proof.

> I also have KDE running under Kubuntu on my work computer (4.6.2) and the
> Network Manager is completely different (don't know why) - it's not wicd
> as far as I can tell.
>
> However, They are still not working. wpa_gui refuses to scan and find
> networks; while wicd is not finding networks either - but there's so
> little information in the GUI that it is practically useless to say why.
> Perhaps I've got something at the KDE layer screwed up?

I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to use
both at the same time. If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
then just use that.

When wpa_gui refuses to scan what message do you get? What do the logs say.

Also, if wpa_gui or wicd fail to scan for APs what do you get from:

# iwlist wlan0 scanning

Mick

Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM
BRM

> On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:

Yes, so I can use sudo.
*
> net.*
> configuration,
> configuration
>> >
>> > The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now
> deprecated.
>> > You
>> > should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the
> above
>> > becomes:
>> >
>> > config_eth0="dhcp"
>> >
>> > This is explained in:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>>
>> Corrected that one too. eth0 was working fine though.
>
> Yes, because eth0 will default to dhcp, after the old syntax you were using
> errors out or is ignored.

Ok.
*
>> > modules="wpa_supplicant"
>> > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
>> > config_wlan0="dhcp"
>>
>> I re-enabled those and added the last line.
>
> OK, wpa_supplicant should now work as intended.
>

>> > You need to add or uncomment the following to your
> wpa_supplicant.conf:
>> > =====================
>> > network={
>> >* * * * key_mgmt=NONE
>> >* * * * priority=0
>> > }
>> > =====================
>> > The above will let latch on the first available AP.
>>
>> I wasn't sure that that one was for. I've re-enabled it and the
> original
>> one for my network.
>
> OK, this is useful for open AP which accept connections.* If they need
> encryption you can add this using the wpa_gui.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks!
*
>> > Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what
>> > not: =====================
>> > # Home Network
>> > network={
>> >* * * ssid="MY-NETWORK"
>> > #* * * key_mgmt=IEEE8021X* <--You don't need these entries
> here, unless
>> > #* * * eap=TLS* * * * * * <--you run SSL certs for authentication
>> >* * * wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
>> >* * * priority=1
>> >* * * auth_alg=OPEN
>> > }
>> > =====================
>>
>> Interestingly, wpa_supplicant complains if those two lines are not there
>> even though I am not doing SSL auth.
>
> Hmm ... what is the error/warning that comes up?

I'll have to check after I get home.
*
> Either way, can you please add:
>
> eapol_version=1

Will do this evening.
*
>> I'd rather use the NetworkManager in KDE than wpa_gui.
>> That said, NetworkManager in KDE seems to be using wicd for some reason.
> You need someone else to chime in here, because I use neither of these.* As
> far as I read in this M/L wicd is more or less fool-proof.
>> I also have KDE running under Kubuntu on my work computer (4.6.2) and the
>> Network Manager is completely different (don't know why) - it's not
> wicd
>> as far as I can tell.
>>
>> However, They are still not working. wpa_gui refuses to scan and find
>> networks; while wicd is not finding networks either - but there's so
>> little information in the GUI that it is practically useless to say why.
>> Perhaps I've got something at the KDE layer screwed up?
> I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to
> use
> both at the same time.* If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
> then just use that.

Well, I figured this part out. Essentially, I had wpa_supplicant, and wicd installed.
However, what I really wanted to NetworkManager and KNetworkManager installed.
So I removed wicd, and installed NetworkManager and KNetworkManager.
I now get the interface I expected under KDE and don't need to use wpa_gui any more.
Still, it doesn't scan.
*
> When wpa_gui refuses to scan what message do you get?* What do the logs say.
> Also, if wpa_gui or wicd fail to scan for APs what do you get from:
> # iwlist wlan0 scanning

At least from the applications I am not getting any error messages. I'll have to check the logs tonight and let you know.

This morning I checked the antennae to verify they were properly connected to the mini-PCI card (as I had opened it up a few weeks ago to see whether it was mini-PCI or mini-PCIe; but I didn't remove/disconnect anything at that* time). Everything checked out. So it shouldn't be a hardware issue unless the card is completely fried for some reason.

I'll check the logs this evening and let you know.

Thanks!

Ben

Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> From: Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
>> On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:
>> I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to
>> use
>> both at the same time.Â* If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
>> then just use that.
>
> Well, I figured this part out. Essentially, I had wpa_supplicant, and wicd installed.
> However, what I really wanted to NetworkManager and KNetworkManager installed.
> So I removed wicd, and installed NetworkManager and KNetworkManager.
> I now get the interface I expected under KDE and don't need to use wpa_gui any more.
> Still, it doesn't scan.

I believe NetworkManager provides WPA supplicant functionlaity, so I
don't think you need wpa_supplicant if you have NetworkManager. It's
been a *long* time (about five years) since I messed with wireless
configuration daemons, though. Lots of things can change in that time,
including memory...

--
:wq

Wed Sep 7 17:30:02 2011