Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
András Csányi

Default Chromium and Google Chrome

Dear All,

In the morning after I have synced my portage I saw there is a
google-chrome and chromium package. The version numbers are the same.
I watched the websites and basically they are the same. Google Chrome
is the Chrome browser and the Chromium is the open source project. I
would like to know what is the difference between them and why do we
have two package?

Thanks in advance for any information!

András

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Yohan Pereira

On Friday 02 Sep 2011 09:27:09 András Csányi wrote:

> Dear All,

> In the morning after I have synced my portage I saw there is a

> google-chrome and chromium package. The version numbers are the same.

> I watched the websites and basically they are the same. Google Chrome

> is the Chrome browser and the Chromium is the open source project. I

> would like to know what is the difference between them and why do we

> have two package?

> Thanks in advance for any information!

> András

*

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chrome

*

Chromium implements a similar feature set as Chrome, but lacks built-in automatic updates, built-in PDF reader and Google branding, and most noticeably has a blue-colored logo in place of the multicolored Google logo.

*

*

--

*

- Yohan Pereira

*

"A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer

Old 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM
JD Horelick

On 2 September 2011 03:45, Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 02 Sep 2011 09:27:09 András Csányi wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>

>> In the morning after I have synced my portage I saw there is a
>
>> google-chrome and chromium package. The version numbers are the same.
>
>> I watched the websites and basically they are the same. Google Chrome
>
>> is the Chrome browser and the Chromium is the open source project. I
>
>> would like to know what is the difference between them and why do we
>
>> have two package?
>

>> Thanks in advance for any information!
>

>> András
>

> This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chrome
>

> Chromium implements a similar feature set as Chrome, but lacks built-in
> automatic updates, built-in PDF reader and Google branding, and most
> noticeably has a blue-colored logo in place of the multicolored Google logo.
>

> --
>

> - Yohan Pereira
>

> "A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer

Also, one is a binary, one is source that you need to compile. And
Chromium is an EXTREMELY long compile....

Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
András Csányi

On 2 September 2011 09:45, Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chrome
>
> Chromium implements a similar feature set as Chrome, but lacks built-in
> automatic updates, built-in PDF reader and Google branding, and most
> noticeably has a blue-colored logo in place of the multicolored Google logo.

Hmmm... Thanks!

--
- -

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM
András Csányi

On 2 September 2011 10:17, JD Horelick <jdhore1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, one is a binary, one is source that you need to compile. And
> Chromium is an EXTREMELY long compile....

I agree it takes long time (1-2 hours on my machine) but the compile
time doesn't matter for me. I upgrade my machine from my workplace.

--
- -

Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Matthew Finkel

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2 September 2011 10:17, JD Horelick <jdhore1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, one is a binary, one is source that you need to compile. And

> Chromium is an EXTREMELY long compile....

I agree it takes long time (1-2 hours on my machine) but the compile

time doesn't matter for me. I upgrade my machine from my workplace.

--

- -

--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi

--* ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell

This was brought up on gentoo-dev ML last week by*Mike Gilbert (aka*floppym).*

---Snip----I have been maintaining an ebuild for Google*Chrome*in an overlay. It

basically extracts a deb file to /opt. This serves as an easy
alternative for people who do not have the patience to compile
Chromium.

Now that I have developer access, I would like to move this to the
tree. Before doing so, I need some advice on how to deal with the

EULA[1].

--Snip--hth,Matt

--
Matthew Finkel