Old 09-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Doug Hunley

Default switch to iproute2 and remove net-tools?

I decided to switch to iproute2 and it went fine, until I removed
net-tools. At that point, I got errors about /bin/hostname being
missing. I did a quick search and found
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443540-start-0.html where the dev
says baselayout > 1.12 doesn't *need* the hostname command. I'm
running ~amd w/ openrc and baselayout-2,0,3, yet my system complains.
Anyone know how to kill net-tools completely? Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Pandu Poluan

(Sorry for top posting)

baselayout > 1.12 don't need net-tools, but other packages might need net-tools.

Why do you want to unmerge net-tools, anyway?

Rgds,

On 2011-09-01, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to switch to iproute2 and it went fine, until I removed
> net-tools. At that point, I got errors about /bin/hostname being
> missing. I did a quick search and found
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443540-start-0.html where the dev
> says baselayout > 1.12 doesn't *need* the hostname command. I'm
> running ~amd w/ openrc and baselayout-2,0,3, yet my system complains.
> Anyone know how to kill net-tools completely? Thanks!

Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/

Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Doug Hunley

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 22:32, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> Why do you want to unmerge net-tools, anyway?

'equery depends' shows that nothing needs it, and why keep an entire
package around when I have another package installed that does what
the first package is supposed to do?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 01.09.2011 15:47, schrieb Doug Hunley:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 22:32, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>> Why do you want to unmerge net-tools, anyway?
>
> 'equery depends' shows that nothing needs it, and why keep an entire
> package around when I have another package installed that does what
> the first package is supposed to do?

`emerge -pv --depclean sys-apps/net-tools` is more reliable than equery
for finding dependencies. It will tell you that net-tools is part of
@system. It is generally discouraged for ebuild-developers to add
dependencies to stuff that belongs to @system. Therefore equery does not
help you find all dependencies.

If you are so eager to remove net-tools, you can try to replace all
binaries with symlinks to /bin/busybox. It should contain minimal
implementations for most binaries like hostname. Note that this can
seriously break your system if the busybox implementation is insufficient.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp