Old 02-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Peter Humphrey

Default Network Manager

On Friday 15 February 2008 23:55:58 dell core2duo wrote:

> I have a query about network manager. Network manager is rewriting
> (actually putting blank there) my resolv.conf everytime it reconnected to
> some network by eth0.
> I want to avoid rewriting my resolv.conf. Can i do so ? if yes then how
> ?

I've tried two things at different times. One is to omit dns_domain_lo
from /etc/conf.d/net, and the other is to "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf".
Both appear to work.

I do the first of those because I always have (I forget when this variable
was introduced, but it wasn't long ago), and the second because I don't
want any Gentoo scripts messing up my network configuration.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
"dell core2duo"

On Feb 16, 2008 3:41 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

On Friday 15 February 2008 23:55:58 dell core2duo wrote:

> *I have a query about network manager. Network manager is rewriting
> (actually putting blank there) my resolv.conf everytime it reconnected to

> some network by eth0.
> *I want to avoid rewriting my resolv.conf. Can i do so ? if yes then how
> ?

I've tried two things at different times. One is to omit dns_domain_lo*

from /etc/conf.d/net, and the other is to "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf".
Both appear to work.*I don't have any dns_domain_lo entry in my /etc/conf.d/net file.
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf doesn't seems to work for me.

I guess it is specific to filesystem ext2/3 while i am on* reiserfs.

<snip>
chattr

chattr [options] mode files
Modify file attributes. Specific to Linux Second and Third Extended Filesystem (ext2 and ext3). Behaves similarly to symbolic chmod, using +, -, and =. mode is in the form opcode attribute. See also lsattr

</snip>

thanks,
flukebox

*

Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 AM
"dell core2duo"

Hi,
*One more thing i want to add that my eth0 is not dhcp.
thanks,
flukebox

*

Old 02-16-2008, 12:16 PM
"dell core2duo"

Hi,
* I finally get rid of my problem. Actually /etc/conf.d/net is really helpful.
*There are option to set* 'dns_servers_eth0' , 'dns_domain_eth0',* dns_search_eth0' . Thats all what i needed.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 16 February 2008 13:16:36 dell core2duo wrote:

> I finally get rid of my problem. Actually /etc/conf.d/net is really
> helpful.
> There are option to set 'dns_servers_eth0' , 'dns_domain_eth0',
> dns_search_eth0' . Thats all what i needed.

Ah! I hadn't spotted that. Thanks for the info. This is a much neater way to
do it - with the tools intended!

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Hi

I have configured open vpn client using Network Manager. Where can i see the openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Linux.

Basically I want to add the route command manually whenever i need to connect to the openvpn server

sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0

I am looking out for openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Linux to add the below route command

sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0 so that its done automcatically.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

I have configured open vpn client using Network Manager. Where can i see the openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Linux.

Basically I want to add the route command manually whenever i need to connect to the openvpn server

sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0

I am looking out for openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Linux to add the below route command

sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0 so that its done automcatically.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Hi

I have not received any reply for my query on this list

Any ideas

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 14:29:35 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have configured open vpn client using Network Manager. Where can i
>> see the openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Linux.
>>
>> Basically I want to add the route command manually whenever i need to
>> connect to the openvpn server
>> sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0
>>
>> I am looking out for openvpn client configs in Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop
>> Linux to add the below route command
>> sudo ip route add 10.10.0.0/8 via 10.10.10.12 dev tap0 so that its done
>> automcatically.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> Kaushal
>>

>> Hi
>
> I have not received any reply for my query on this list
>
> Any ideas
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal

Dear Kaushal,

this was the second time you asked the question. I answered you the first
time you asked it. You will have to edit a file in /etc/openvpn. In man
openvpn is written how. I started using openvpn many years ago, before
Network Manager existed. I'm quite contend about the way it works for me,
so never had a reason to change my ways and try any other way.

Yours sincerely
Aart

Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

I decided to learn how Network Manager (NM) works. I went to
Google and entered "ubuntu,networkmanager" and I got the usual
10,000 hits.

Starting from the first I read the next 5 web pages and the
whole experience was similar to trying to get NM to work. But
I did get that NM is still in Beta stage. Also most people
were not able to get NM to do WiFi. The goal of the NM program
is to have NM always work with a wired Internet, and
automatically switch to WiFi when wired Internet is turned off.

Alas the WiFi part does not work.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Colin Law

2009/11/5 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:

> * * * *I decided to learn how Network Manager (NM) works. I went to
> Google and entered "ubuntu,networkmanager" and I got the usual
> 10,000 hits.
>
> * * * *Starting from the first I read the next 5 web pages and the
> whole experience was similar to trying to get NM to work. But
> I did get that NM is still in Beta stage. Also most people
> were not able to get NM to do WiFi. The goal of the NM program
> is to have NM always work with a wired Internet, and
> automatically switch to WiFi when wired Internet is turned off.
>
> * * * *Alas the WiFi part does not work.

As I said previously it does work for me. Also if I have both wired
and wireless available it connects to both (Jaunty).

Colin