Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanasis

Default Epson BX525WD

Anyone with experience working with epson inkjet printers?

BX525WD is a multifunction device (printer, copier and scanner), and has
ethernet, USB and wifi connectivity.

Can I use it with CUPS? Do I need any special USE flags?
I use the amd64 no-multilib profile.
I am interested in its printing function in the first place.

I looked at epson home site for drivers and it pointed to
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escp/
where one can find binary .rpm and .deb packages for the diver, and the
source code as
epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.src.rpm

I downloaded the
http://linux.avasys.jp/drivers/lsb/epson-inkjet/stable/RPMS/x86_64/epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
file and used rpm2tbz2 to get the file:
epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.tbz2
Among other files it contains a ppd file that seems appropriate for the
printer in question: Epson-Stylus_Office_BX525WD_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
I guess I could use that with CUPS, but to connect to the printer via
ethernet, what option (protocol?) should I select?

CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631/admin/)
gives me those options:

Local Printers:
SCSI Printer
HP Printer (HPLIP)

Other Network Printers:
AppSocket/HP JetDirect
Internet Printing Protocol (http)
Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
Internet Printing Protocol (https)
LPD/LPR Host or Printer
Windows Printer via SAMBA

Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Jeremy McSpadden

the type depends on how its hooked up, if its ethernet; use IPP.
if its usb, it should detect

--
Jeremy McSpadden
deface@uberpenguin.net

Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Thanasis <thanasis@asyr.hopto.org> wrote:
> Anyone with experience working with epson inkjet printers?
>
> BX525WD is a multifunction device (printer, copier and scanner), and has
> ethernet, USB and wifi connectivity.
>
> Can I use it with CUPS? Do I need any special USE flags?
> I use the amd64 no-multilib profile.
> I am interested in its printing function in the first place.
>
> I looked at epson home site for drivers and it pointed to
> http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escp/
> where one can find binary .rpm and .deb packages for the diver, and the
> source code as
> epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.src.rpm
>
> I downloaded the
> http://linux.avasys.jp/drivers/lsb/epson-inkjet/stable/RPMS/x86_64/epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm
> file and used rpm2tbz2 to get the file:
> epson-inkjet-printer-workforce-635-nx625-series-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.x86_64.tbz2
> Among other files it contains a ppd file that seems appropriate for the
> printer in question: Epson-Stylus_Office_BX525WD_Series-epson-driver.ppd.gz
> I guess I could use that with CUPS, but to connect to the printer via
> ethernet, what option (protocol?) should I select?
>
> CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631/admin/)
> gives me those options:
>
> Local Printers:
> SCSI Printer
> HP Printer (HPLIP)
>
> Other Network Printers:
> AppSocket/HP JetDirect
> Internet Printing Protocol (http)
> Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
> Internet Printing Protocol (https)
> LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> Windows Printer via SAMBA

Do you want to connect to the printer directly over the network?

Try nmapping its IP address to find out which services it has enabled.
As Jeremy noted, IPP is generally a very good option, but any of the
available services should work if you're bouncing through a CUPS
daemon.

--
:wq

Old 09-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanasis

FWIW, it seems to work with cups with the following configuration in
/etc/cups/printers.conf

(I just let the printer acquire an IP from the dhcpd server on the lan,
and let cupsd discover the new printer,
and tried gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.2 as the driver for it from
package net-print/gutenprint-5.2.7)

Note is that cupsd automatically discovered the following protocol to
talk to the printer (I tried others with no luck):

lpd://<host>:515/PASSTHRU

# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.8
# Written by cupsd on 2011-09-09 22:34
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<Printer Epson_Stylus_Office_BX525WD>
Info Epson Stylus Office BX525WD
Location
MakeModel Epson WorkForce 600 Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.2
DeviceURI lpd://192.168.0.26:515/PASSTHRU
State Idle
StateTime 1315596829
Type 8425484
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors #000000,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,#00FFFF
Attribute marker-levels 100,100,100,100
Attribute marker-names Black Ink Cartridge,Magenta Ink Cartridge,Yellow
Ink Cartridge,Cyan Ink Cartridge
Attribute marker-types inkCartridge,inkCartridge,inkCartridge,inkCartridg e
Attribute marker-change-time 1315596829
</Printer>