Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM
James

Default 10 G eth (10000) on Gentoo

Hello,

I just might have an opportunity to setup a Gentoo
System using 10 G ethernet (fiber). The .39
kernel lists this hardware [1].

Does anyone have any experience with this hardware?
Does it work? Did you make any bandwidth measurements?
What type of fiber (mulimode/singlemode) (ST/SC) did you
use?

Any comments? Is the kernel a bottleneck or your application?

--- Ethernet (10000 Mbit)
Chelsio 10Gb Ethernet support
Chelsio Communications T3 10Gb Ethernet support
Chelsio Communications T4 Ethernet support
Chelsio Communications T4 Virtual Function Ethernet support
Cisco VIC Ethernet NIC Support
Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express adapters support
Intel(R) 82599 Virtual Function Ethernet support
Intel(R) PRO/10GbE support
Exar Xframe 10Gb Ethernet Adapter
Exar X3100 Series 10GbE PCIe Server Adapter
Myricom Myri-10G Ethernet support
NetXen Multi port (1/10) Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Sun Neptune 10Gbit Ethernet support
Mellanox Technologies 10Gbit Ethernet support
Tehuti Networks 10G Ethernet
Broadcom NetXtremeII 10Gb support
QLOGIC QLCNIC 1/10Gb Converged Ethernet NIC Support
QLogic QLGE 10Gb Ethernet Driver Support
Brocade 1010/1020 10Gb Ethernet Driver support
Solarflare Solarstorm SFC4000/SFC9000-family support
ServerEngines' 10Gbps NIC - BladeEngine

Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
James

Adam Carter <adamcarter3 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like intel made multiqueue available in Nov. 2010. You can set
> up to 16 queues.
> http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14687/eng/README.txt

Thanks guys, for the discussion. Kinda reminds me back in
in the day of "jumbo frames" and the arguments as to if/when
jumbo frame support helps in routing.....

Any anecdotal comments as to how poor-bad 10 G eth crawls/fails
on a Microsoft server, would give me ammo to shoot down
the opposition...

James

Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Michael Mol

Honestly, I'd just test. There are so many factors that the only way to know the appropriate choice is to try...