Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Alan Mackenzie

Default How do slots work?

Hi, Gentoo.

How do slots work? I mean I've had a look at some ebuilds and see things
like this:

SLOT=3

, but with no clues as to how this gets used. Is there any handy
documentation about this? I've had a look round the usual places, but
found nothing.

What I really want to do is to try out Gnome 3, to see if it's like what
people say it is, but without endangering my current Gnome 2.32.1. If I
build Gnome 3, will its executable have a different name?

Thanks for the info!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Monday, August 29 at 08:51 (+0000), Alan Mackenzie said:

> What I really want to do is to try out Gnome 3, to see if it's like
> what
> people say it is, but without endangering my current Gnome 2.32.1. If
> build Gnome 3, will its executable have a different name?

It's not slotted, so that answers your first question.

Also, gnome is a *bunch* of executables and libraries, so it's not as
simple as renameing "gnome-session" to "gnome-session3".

To answer the first, if you have two or more of the same package, say
"foo", then slots tell portage that more than one version of "foo" may
be installed if they are in different slots. For example, python-2.7.*
packages are in slot "2.7" and python-3.2* packages are in slot "3.2" so
python-2.7.2-r2 and python-3.2-r2 may be installed simultaneously.
However, ex., 2.7.1-r2 and 2.7.2-r2 may not (because they are in both
slot) "2.7".

Similarly gnome-2* and gnome-3* (from the "gnome" overlay) are both in
slot "2.0".

The reason why GNOME 3 is in slot "2.0" is that it cannot be installed
alongside GNOME 2, so no use in bumping the slot #.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
walt

On 08/29/2011 01:51 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> What I really want to do is to try out Gnome 3, to see if it's like what
> people say it is, but without endangering my current Gnome 2.32.1.

This is the fastest and easiest way to try it:

http://gnome3.org/tryit.html

After I tried it I decided quickly that I'm content to wait until it's
really stable on gentoo. At this point I'd say it's a waste of time to
try to install from the overlay unless you want to help debug it.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/29/2011 01:51 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> What I really want to do is to try out Gnome 3, to see if it's like what
>> people say it is, but without endangering my current Gnome 2.32.1.
>
> This is the fastest and easiest way to try it:
>
> http://gnome3.org/tryit.html
>
> After I tried it I decided quickly that I'm content to wait until it's
> really stable on gentoo. *At this point I'd say it's a waste of time to
> try to install from the overlay unless you want to help debug it.

Actually, it's pretty stable. It doesn't have much customization
available (to be honest, I think you can only customize the background
image), but the shell and the applications are stable. I really like
it.

However, if you only want to "try it out", maybe it's not worth the
effort of installing from the overlay and all the unmasking and
compiling required.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Monday, August 29 at 12:02 (-0400), Canek Peláez Valdés said:
[...]
> Actually, it's pretty stable. It doesn't have much customization
> available

You can get a fair amount of customization by using gnome-shell
extensions. You can also customize the shell interface by changing the
gnome-shell.css file or using the. For non-ui customization, I
recommend the tweak tools app and dconf-editor and gconf-editor still
work as well.

Here's an example of my slightly-customized GNOME 3 desktop (work in
progress):

http://ompldr.org/vYTN6NQ

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Albert W. Hopkins
<marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:

> On Monday, August 29 at 12:02 (-0400), Canek Peláez Valdés said:
> [...]
>> Actually, it's pretty stable. It doesn't have much customization
>> available
>
> You can get a fair amount of customization by using gnome-shell
> extensions. *You can also customize the shell interface by changing the
> gnome-shell.css file or using the. *For non-ui customization, I
> recommend the tweak tools app and dconf-editor and gconf-editor still
> work as well.
>
> Here's an example of my slightly-customized GNOME 3 desktop (work in
> progress):
>
> http://ompldr.org/vYTN6NQ

Damn, that looks hot. Did you modify the CSS file by yourself? I would
love a window title bar a little smaller.

Regards.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Monday, August 29 at 13:01 (-0400), Canek Peláez Valdés said:

> > http://ompldr.org/vYTN6NQ
>
> Damn, that looks hot. Did you modify the CSS file by yourself? I would
> love a window title bar a little smaller.

I started by modifying it myself. I really wanted the top panel to look
more like my GNOME2, panel. And now it does (actually GNOME 3 fixes a
"problem" I had with GNOME2 whereby I had the clock widget in the
middle, but when I switched to an bigger external monitor it would not
automatically stay centered. GNOME3 fixes that.) I changed the font
size and face either in CSS or the tweak tool. The dialogs (log out,
etc.) which you don't see in the screenshot were grabbed from the CSS of
another theme. The title bar is from the "Hope" theme. I only grabbed
the window manager part as I wasn't interested in the rest.

-a