Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Question regarding UTF-8 settings

Hi,

following this guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml

Doing a

locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf

I got:

de_DE.utf8

.

Then I created the file

/etc/init.d/02locale

with the contents:

LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8

. As root I did a

rc-update

, which runs without any error/warning message.

I sourced

/etc/profile

and did a

locale

. The output was -- despite of what the guide exspected --

LANG=
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Since there is no "what to do if something else happens"-paragraph in
the guide, I want to ask here, what I am doing wrong...???

Best regards,
mcc

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Andrea Conti

> rc-update

You meant "env-update", right?

> . The output was -- despite of what the guide exspected --

The guide shows the output from setting LANG. You set LC_CTYPE, so
unless I'm missing something obvious your result is perfectly normal.

The wording in the green box under listing 2.4 is perhaps a bit unclear:
depending on what you are trying to achieve, setting LC_CTYPE instead of
LANG might be enough, but they are definitely *not* the same thing.

Follow the link in the same box for an explanation.

andrea

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Mick

On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 09:51:36 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> following this guide:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
>
> Doing a
>
> locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf
>
> I got:
>
> de_DE.utf8
>
> .
>
> Then I created the file
>
> /etc/init.d/02locale

Hmm ... you probably want to create /etc/env.d/02locale instead.

Then set in it:

LC_LANG=de_DE.utf8

and perhaps:

LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="C"

and things should hopefully work out as intended after you run env-update or
logout/login.

Mick

Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Andrea Conti <alyf@alyf.net> [11-08-28 12:08]:
> > rc-update
>
> You meant "env-update", right?
>
> > . The output was -- despite of what the guide exspected --
>
> The guide shows the output from setting LANG. You set LC_CTYPE, so
> unless I'm missing something obvious your result is perfectly normal.
>
> The wording in the green box under listing 2.4 is perhaps a bit unclear:
> depending on what you are trying to achieve, setting LC_CTYPE instead of
> LANG might be enough, but they are definitely *not* the same thing.
>
> Follow the link in the same box for an explanation.
>
> andrea

Hi Andrea,

thank you for your help!

Currently the arrows (in the thread display) of mutt are not displayed
correctly, but ist seems, that the rest works more or less...

I installed mrxvt-unicode from svn...currently I cannot decide,
which kind or worst I will accept: No Unicode in the terminal or
bad tabs with unicode.
Unfortunately I dont know of any leight weight (no gui) terminal
emu, which supports tabs like mrxvt...

Best regards and have a nice sunday !
mcc

Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-08-28 13:08]:
> On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 09:51:36 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > following this guide:
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
> >
> > Doing a
> >
> > locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf
> >
> > I got:
> >
> > de_DE.utf8
> >
> > .
> >
> > Then I created the file
> >
> > /etc/init.d/02locale
>
> Hmm ... you probably want to create /etc/env.d/02locale instead.
>
> Then set in it:
>
> LC_LANG=de_DE.utf8
>
> and perhaps:
>
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
>
> and things should hopefully work out as intended after you run env-update or
> logout/login.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

....I did create /etc/env.d/02locale...I only confused it in my
posting...

Now I have changed, what you have suggested, but mutt still has
problems with the "arrows" when displaying threads.
Is there any other fix known regarding mutt?

Best regards and thank you for your help in advance!
mcc

Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag 28 August 2011, 10:51:36 schrieb meino.cramer@gmx.de:
> Hi,
>
> following this guide:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
>
> Doing a
>
> locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf
>
> I got:
>
> de_DE.utf8
>
> .
>
> Then I created the file
>
> /etc/init.d/02locale
>
> with the contents:
>
> LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
>
> . As root I did a
>
> rc-update
>
> , which runs without any error/warning message.
>
> I sourced
>
> /etc/profile
>
> and did a
>
> locale
>
> . The output was -- despite of what the guide exspected --
>

> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Since there is no "what to do if something else happens"-paragraph in
> the guide, I want to ask here, what I am doing wrong...???
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
>
> Best regards,
> mcc

why don't you just set:
LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8
and
LANG=de_DE.utf8
and maybe even LANGUAGE
--
#163933

Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Mick

On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 12:41:54 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-08-28 13:08]:
> > On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 09:51:36 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > following this guide:
> > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
> > >
> > > Doing a
> > >
> > > locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf
> > >
> > > I got:
> > > de_DE.utf8
> > >
> > > .
> > >
> > > Then I created the file
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/02locale
> >
> > Hmm ... you probably want to create /etc/env.d/02locale instead.
> >
> > Then set in it:
> >
> > LC_LANG=de_DE.utf8
> >
> > and perhaps:
> >
> > LC_TIME="POSIX"
> > LC_COLLATE="C"
> >
> > and things should hopefully work out as intended after you run env-update
> > or logout/login.
>
> Hi Mick,
>
> ....I did create /etc/env.d/02locale...I only confused it in my
> posting...
>
> Now I have changed, what you have suggested, but mutt still has
> problems with the "arrows" when displaying threads.
> Is there any other fix known regarding mutt?

Although I'm using mrxvt as a terminal I do not use mutt. Where is mutt
picking up its encoding for those arrows? Could it be that they are hard
coded somehow in it? Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful on this
problem ...

Mick

Old 08-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-08-28 18:08]:
> On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 12:41:54 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> [11-08-28 13:08]:

> > > Hmm ... you probably want to create /etc/env.d/02locale instead.
> > >
> > > Then set in it:
> > >
> > > LC_LANG=de_DE.utf8
> > >
> > > and perhaps:
> > >
> > > LC_TIME="POSIX"
> > > LC_COLLATE="C"
> > >
> > > and things should hopefully work out as intended after you run env-update
> > > or logout/login.
> >
> > Hi Mick,
> >
> > ....I did create /etc/env.d/02locale...I only confused it in my
> > posting...
> >
> > Now I have changed, what you have suggested, but mutt still has
> > problems with the "arrows" when displaying threads.
> > Is there any other fix known regarding mutt?
>
> Although I'm using mrxvt as a terminal I do not use mutt. Where is mutt
> picking up its encoding for those arrows? Could it be that they are hard
> coded somehow in it? Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful on this
> problem ...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Hi Mick,

I switched from mrxvt, which gets screwed up when compiled from svn
(the only source for a mrxvt, which a part of unicode support) and
confronted then with some key combos like CTRL-SHIFT-UPARROW, to urxvt,
which understands unicode fully, but has "only" a basic tabbed
support. This fixes the locks.

For the other problem, the arrows in threads, I instructed mutt to
use ASCII-symbols like +-> or -> instead, which looks a little retro,
but may be this will correspond to the IBM Model M keyboard I use (and
like so much .

It just like being retro-progressive: Take the best of both worlds:
Run a AMD-hexacore-PC, use Gentoo with openbox, avoid graphically
gimmicks (no punt intended!), avoid using the mouse, get used to use
vim, sed, awk, col, cmp, diff, join, uniq, fmt and such to their full
power and do all this with a 20 year old keyboard, which looks like
new.

Its feeling like MyGyver inventing the IT-industry from a soldering
iron, a 80x40 charakter terminal and a 386 processor, hahahahaha!

All this not really meant /THAT/ seriously...

Best regards and have a nice "whatever time of the day you
currently may have" .
mcc