Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 AM
"Don Jerman"

Default Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more

I personally prefer JFS to XFS and have used it for years on my
servers and laptop with no problem other than hardware errors (and if
the hardware fails the fs will not help you). I had system board
problems in the laptop and a bad RAID controller in the server this
last year . Other than that I always recovered from outages with a
journal-replay.

Your plan looks rational except I wouldn't use ext3 for storing video
- it's slow when deleting large files and large numbers of files - xfs
or jfs would be better. For that matter you may care to split your
video and mp3 storage because mp3's are small and videos are usually
large. If your videos are generally uniform (like on mythtv,
allocated in half-hour multiples) storing them all in a filesystem of
their own will reduce fragmentation. If you're doing write-once it
doesn't matter so much, but if you delete things a lot it's more
important to performance.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 16 February 2008 05:33:43 Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot

(Why was it necessary to quote the whole of it again?)

> please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
> suggestions please do tell me.

Just a tiny point: you don't need "defaults" if another value appears as
well, as in:

/dev/system/home /home reiserfs defaults,user_xattr 0 0

This will do just as well:

/dev/system/home /home reiserfs user_xattr 0 0

Defaults are what you get if you don't specify anything.

Thank you all for this interesting discussion, which has given me a few
ideas for improving --sync time on my server box.

--
Rgds
Peter