Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Paul Hartman

Default /usr/portage index?

Yep, http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/ is the main site.

And there is a third-party site: http://www.gentoo-portage.com/

And for searching/browsing layman overlays there is: http://gpo.zugaina.org/

Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Bill Longman

On 08/26/2011 10:08 AM, James wrote:
> Hello,
>

> In /usr/portage/sci-chemistry, there are lots
> of software offerings. My son is new to Gentoo
> but now I let him go root and install packages.
>
> Does Gentoo maintain an online index with brief
> description of each so one can make a guess as to
> which packages might be useful to him?
>
> Is there some slick way to install all of the packages
> in this dir? (drawing a blank --most-likely-TGIF-syndrome)
>
> and then go down a list (index) and test which ones
> he would want to keep?

My fave:

eix -c -C x11-wm

or in your case:

eix -c -C sci-chemistry

little -c gives a compact listing for you.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
James

Bill Longman <bill.longman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> eix -c -C sci-chemistry

Ok, thanks everyone! I was very tired Friday
and I appreciate
the suggestions of sites and syntax....

Lots of chemistry based software for my son to play with....

It's just a darn shame kids today do not get the
cool chemistry sets of yore.....

James

Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Dale

James wrote:

Bill Longman<bill.longman<at> gmail.com> writes:

eix -c -C sci-chemistry

Ok, thanks everyone! I was very tired Friday
and I appreciate
the suggestions of sites and syntax....

Lots of chemistry based software for my son to play with....

It's just a darn shame kids today do not get the
cool chemistry sets of yore.....

James

Nowadays, if you mix vinegar and baking soda, you are accused of making
a bomb. They called it fun 20 or 30 years ago. lol

I still want to know what Spencer puts in the camera film thingys and
makes it pop off. It was liquid and what looked like a pill or
something. Erin said he was getting some distance on them tho. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Nowadays, if you mix vinegar and baking soda, you are accused of making
> a bomb. They called it fun 20 or 30 years ago. lol
>
> I still want to know what Spencer puts in the camera film thingys and
> makes it pop off. It was liquid and what looked like a pill or
> something. Erin said he was getting some distance on them tho. o_O

Um... Diet Coke and Mentos?

Wonko

Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

Dale writes:

Nowadays, if you mix vinegar and baking soda, you are accused of making
a bomb. They called it fun 20 or 30 years ago. lol

I still want to know what Spencer puts in the camera film thingys and
makes it pop off. It was liquid and what looked like a pill or
something. Erin said he was getting some distance on them tho. o_O

Um... Diet Coke and Mentos?

Wonko

I don't think so. I guess it is possible tho. You know those little
containers that you put 35mm film in, that is what he puts it in. It
does foam up like mentos and coke but it didn't look like that tho. It
takes about 5 to 10 seconds for it to pop. Mentos and coke is pretty
much instant. I saw that on Mythbusters. Dang that is cool. O_O

Mayne I can google it. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Sebastian Beler

> Mayne I can google it. lol

If you do and we don't hear from you ever again we know that you most
probably used some search words that triggert some terrorist alarm.
;-) :-D

Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Per-Erik Westerberg

sn 2011-08-28 klockan 19:03 -0500 skrev Dale:
> James wrote:
> > Bill Longman<bill.longman<at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >> eix -c -C sci-chemistry
> >>

> > Ok, thanks everyone! I was very tired Friday
> > and I appreciate
> > the suggestions of sites and syntax....
> >
> > Lots of chemistry based software for my son to play with....
> >
> > It's just a darn shame kids today do not get the
> > cool chemistry sets of yore.....
> >

> > James
> >

> Nowadays, if you mix vinegar and baking soda, you are accused of making
> a bomb. They called it fun 20 or 30 years ago. lol
>
> I still want to know what Spencer puts in the camera film thingys and
> makes it pop off. It was liquid and what looked like a pill or
> something. Erin said he was getting some distance on them tho. o_O

Any headache or fever reducing medicine that dissolves in water would do
I guess. A friend of mine had a cold and brought some anti-fever, non
recipe, medicine in a plastic tube which was flat pills that you put in
water to dissolve. We were at a hotel in a hot and humid country,
Dominican Republic, and we woke up in the middle of the night when a
loud "pop" sounded. The same was repeated the next night. In the
mornings we couldn't understand why the lid of the tube was thrown on
the floor and it was put on again and it took a couple of days for us to
realize what had happened. Some moisture had gotten inside the tube and
the pills where starting to dissolve which raised the pressure in the
tube which then made the lid to pop off.

> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

/ P-E