Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
James

Default /usr/portage index?

Hello,

In /usr/portage/sci-chemistry, there are lots
of software offerings. My son is new to Gentoo
but now I let him go root and install packages.

Does Gentoo maintain an online index with brief
description of each so one can make a guess as to
which packages might be useful to him?

Is there some slick way to install all of the packages
in this dir? (drawing a blank --most-likely-TGIF-syndrome)

and then go down a list (index) and test which ones
he would want to keep?

suggestions are most welcome.

I'm looking for suggestions better than:
eix <package> one at a time....

James