Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Joost Roeleveld

Default New install on x86 and login to KDE fails

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 08:14:55 AM Dale wrote:
> [...]
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> No outputs have backlight property
> QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner ' but we thought
> it was ':1.5'
> Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface:eviceAdded(QString)
> Object::connect: No such signal
> QDBusAbstractInterface:eviceRemoved(QString)
> Object::connect: No such signal
> QDBusAbstractInterface:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPat h)
> Object::connect: No such signal
> QDBusAbstractInterface:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectP ath)
> Object::connect: No such signal
> QDBusAbstractInterface:eviceChanged(QDBusObjectP ath)
> QStringList
> Solid::Backends::UDisks::UDisksManager::allDevices Internal() error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed"
> kded(4259)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
> OpenGL vendor string: VIA Technology
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI UniChrome (KM400)
> 20060710 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 7.10.3
> Driver: Unknown
> GPU class: Unknown
> OpenGL version: 1.2
> Mesa version: 7.10.3
> X server version: 1.10.3
> Linux kernel version: 3.0.3
> Direct rendering: no
> Requires strict binding: yes
> GLSL shaders: no
> Texture NPOT support: no
> kactivitymanagerd(4302): Communication problem with "kactivitymanagerd"
> , it probably crashed.
> Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected" : "
> "Connection was disconnected before a reply was received" "
>
> kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
> kded(4259) PowerDevilUPowerBackend::brightness:
> org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper.brightness failed
> klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
> Qt-subapplication: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
> QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.
> virtual QStringList
> Solid::Backends::UPower::UPowerManager::allDevices () error:
> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed"
> kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.
>
> This rig has a Athlon XP 2000 which is not to slow. My old 2500+ still
> works OK. It also has 1.2Gbs of ram. The only downside is the built-in
> video. It is a Via km400. I have tried both Mesa and Vesa for this
> thing but same error.
>
> It does let me login in failsafe mode tho. So, I guess KDE itself is
> working but something that is needed in regular mode is not working right.

Are the usual suspects running?
Like dbus and consolekit?

which kde-package(s) did you emerge?

> Oh, another odd thing I noticed. When I start kdm, I can't switch back
> to a console. That is starting to piss me off. I can't login to KDE
> and it won't let me go back to a console either. Is that related or a
> separate issue?

I have seen this myself. Some NVidia-drivers caused this. Could be that your
graphics-card-driver is causing a similar issue.

Can you try logging in with a text-console (eg. without /etc/init.d/xdm in
your runlevel) and then start X with kde?

Eg:

Put the following into your ~/.xinitrc:
**
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
**
( % echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
)

Then start X from the command-line with:
# startx

The above commands do NOT need root-access.

If this works, the issue is with the login. If this doesn't work, the kde-
session can't start.

--
Joost

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Dale

Joost Roeleveld wrote:

Are the usual suspects running?
Like dbus and consolekit?

Yep. I made sure dbus and consolekit was up a running. I even made
sure the process was running, just to be for sure and for certain. ;-)

which kde-package(s) did you emerge?

I use kde-meta. I just pull in the whole thing and then I know I got
everything satisfied as far as dependencies and such.

Oh, another odd thing I noticed. When I start kdm, I can't switch back
to a console. That is starting to piss me off. I can't login to KDE
and it won't let me go back to a console either. Is that related or a
separate issue?

I have seen this myself. Some NVidia-drivers caused this. Could be that your
graphics-card-driver is causing a similar issue.

I seem to recall there is a setting somewhere that disabled this. I
couldn't find it in xorg.conf but I thought it was there but maybe not.
The weird part is I can type in a command, like reboot, and it reboots.
It's just that the kdm screen is still there instead of the console.
Weird. I wish I had a Nvidia card that would go in that thing. I'd
disable the built in and use that.

Can you try logging in with a text-console (eg. without /etc/init.d/xdm in
your runlevel) and then start X with kde?

Eg:

Put the following into your ~/.xinitrc:
**
exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
**
( % echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde"> ~/.xinitrc
)

Then start X from the command-line with:
# startx

The above commands do NOT need root-access.

If this works, the issue is with the login. If this doesn't work, the kde-
session can't start.

--
Joost

Well, I may later on when it cools off. I have to work on this at night
when it is cool. That room has little cooling plus two fairly full
freezers. Anyway, keep in mind that KDE works in failsafe mode. It
logs right in but it is somewhat limited since it is failsafe mode. I'm
not sure what that is really but it seemed to work different tho.

Also, when I login, it seems to get to a little bit of a start then
comes back to the login screen. The splash screen shows the hard drive
then a couple other pics then goes back to kdm. I have no idea what
those other little pics are tho. I do recognize the hard drive one tho.

I also logged into Fluxbox just fine too. As usual, Fluxbox works. lol

Thanks. Will post results later on when it cools off some. Supposed to
be 102F today. That little room will get to at least 90F.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Hi Dale,

Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011, 08:14:55 schrieb Dale:
> Hi,
>
> I mentioned in a thread a week or so ago that I was going to install
> Gentoo on another box for a friend. Anyway, I got everything done and
> now I run into this problem. I found a thread on the forums but it
> seems to have just fixed itself. That's not working here tho. This is
> the xsessions error file for the user:
> <snip>

try disabling compositing via kwinrc before kde starts up
Open .kde4/share/config/kwinrc, go to the [Compositing] section and change
Enabled= true to Enabled=false

> Thanks.
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Hth,
Michael

Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Mick

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 19:10:39 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011, 08:14:55 schrieb Dale:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I mentioned in a thread a week or so ago that I was going to install
> > Gentoo on another box for a friend. Anyway, I got everything done and
> > now I run into this problem. I found a thread on the forums but it
> > seems to have just fixed itself. That's not working here tho. This is
> > the xsessions error file for the user:
> > <snip>
>
> try disabling compositing via kwinrc before kde starts up
> Open .kde4/share/config/kwinrc, go to the [Compositing] section and change
> Enabled= true to Enabled=false

I wouldn't think this is necessary. My hardware (ATI) doesn't support
compositing with KDE and it disables it on its own. The only time that I have
to unset it as you suggest above is if persist in overriding it after it
disables it.

Mick

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Michael Schreckenbauer

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011, 22:00:29 schrieb Mick:
> On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 19:10:39 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi Dale,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 25. August 2011, 08:14:55 schrieb Dale:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I mentioned in a thread a week or so ago that I was going to install
> > > Gentoo on another box for a friend. Anyway, I got everything done
> > > and
> > > now I run into this problem. I found a thread on the forums but it
> > > seems to have just fixed itself. That's not working here tho. This
> > > is
> > > the xsessions error file for the user:
> > > <snip>
> >
> > try disabling compositing via kwinrc before kde starts up
> > Open .kde4/share/config/kwinrc, go to the [Compositing] section and
> > change Enabled= true to Enabled=false
>
> I wouldn't think this is necessary. My hardware (ATI) doesn't support
> compositing with KDE and it disables it on its own. The only time that I
> have to unset it as you suggest above is if persist in overriding it after
> it disables it.

I had one case (my Laptop), where the automatic detection of kde enabled
compositing, but it did not work. I had no chance to log in without the
suggested method or using safe-mode.
Of course, it's just a shot in the dark

Regards,
Michael

Old 08-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Dale

Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

Hi,

try disabling compositing via kwinrc before kde starts up
Open .kde4/share/config/kwinrc, go to the [Compositing] section and
change Enabled= true to Enabled=false

I wouldn't think this is necessary. My hardware (ATI) doesn't support
compositing with KDE and it disables it on its own. The only time that I
have to unset it as you suggest above is if persist in overriding it after
it disables it.

I had one case (my Laptop), where the automatic detection of kde enabled
compositing, but it did not work. I had no chance to log in without the
suggested method or using safe-mode.
Of course, it's just a shot in the dark

Regards,
Michael

Sorry so long getting back to this. I checked this setting and it is
disabled already. I also recompiled kwin just to see if it would help.
It didn't.

Anything else I can try?

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Dienstag 30 August 2011, 03:06:57 schrieb Dale:
> Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> I wouldn't think this is necessary. My hardware (ATI) doesn't support
> >> compositing with KDE and it disables it on its own. The only time
> >> that I have to unset it as you suggest above is if persist in
> >> overriding it after it disables it.
> >
> > I had one case (my Laptop), where the automatic detection of kde enabled
> > compositing, but it did not work. I had no chance to log in without the
> > suggested method or using safe-mode.
> > Of course, it's just a shot in the dark
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
>
> Sorry so long getting back to this. I checked this setting and it is
> disabled already. I also recompiled kwin just to see if it would help.
> It didn't.
>
> Anything else I can try?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

check permissions? Get some graphics hardware with not-broken drivers?
--
#163933

Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
check permissions? Get some graphics hardware with not-broken drivers?

I even tried a fresh new .kde directory. Same thing. The video is
built in so I'm sort of stuck with it I don't have a card that will fit
in it to even test the theory.

Still open to ideas. Keep in mind, failsafe works as does Fluxbox.
Speaking of, how do I get the Fluxbox menu to include all the KDE apps?
I want the card games, kpat and such, to show up. He may can use that
until I can figure out something else. Maybe a mobo with a decent video
card for a start. ;-)

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 31 Aug 2011 01:05:15 Dale wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > check permissions? Get some graphics hardware with not-broken drivers?
>
> I even tried a fresh new .kde directory. Same thing. The video is
> built in so I'm sort of stuck with it I don't have a card that will fit
> in it to even test the theory.
>
> Still open to ideas. Keep in mind, failsafe works as does Fluxbox.
> Speaking of, how do I get the Fluxbox menu to include all the KDE apps?
> I want the card games, kpat and such, to show up. He may can use that
> until I can figure out something else. Maybe a mobo with a decent video
> card for a start. ;-)

I used to write my own when I was using Fluxbox all the time, mostly because I
had my own preferences for menus/submenus/apps, menu icons, etc.

However, there's a number of scripts that will parse other DE and create
Fluxbox menus for you. Can't recall them off hand, have a look at the Fluxbox
website - I'm sure I saw them mentioned there. I also seem to recall scripts
discussed in the forums >5 years ago.
Mick

Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Dale

Mick wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll go look some more. I been there before but I was looking
for other info so I may have missed that.

Thanks again.

Dale

:-) :-)