Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Akonadi losing mail

Now I can't even reply to the several excellent answers already
received - I just watched kmail2 delete my entire gentoo-user folder.

A thorough search of my home dir fails to reveal where mails are
hiding. I created a new Maildir (the real one, not that stupid mixed
KDE thing) in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/maildir and copied a bunch of
stuff there. It got moved per the kmail2 interface - the originals and
folders were no longer in the original place, they could be viewed in
the new maildir resource.

But they could not be found on disk. And then, as I watched, the
entire folder tree was removed from the sidebar one folder at a time
leaving only the top-most folder. There is nothing on disk.

It gets worse. I have a folder for work stuff, counting the total
column for each folder shows there are 6562 mails. find and wc on disk
returns 4049. So there are 2513 files not on disk that should be.

I have no idea where they could be.
They are not in .local/share/.local-mail.directory/
They are not in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/
I do not find cache copies in /tmp or /var/tmp
I conclude that there must be copies in the mysql that akonadi uses (I
thought that was only for email metadata....)
But they have to be somewhere as kmail2 is showing them.

I also discovered that kmail2 doesn't do changing of IMAP folders at
all, it seems to be strictly read-only. I can create folders in that
area to my heary's content, nothing shows on disk. Kmail2 doesn't seem
to support server-side at all. I can create folders in claws easily
enough and they show up, but not the other way round. It doesn't seem
to be a delayed update either - 12 hours later is a bit too long for
that.

Will I log a KDE bug against this? I doubt it. I want nothing more to
do with kdepim and dealing with those devs is pain I do not want. I'm
subscribed to the kdepim user list and the devs often chip in there.
Believe me, the ones answering there are quite confused in general and
several sandwiches short of a full picnic.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 24 Aug 2011 23:30:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Now I can't even reply to the several excellent answers already
> received - I just watched kmail2 delete my entire gentoo-user folder.
>
> A thorough search of my home dir fails to reveal where mails are
> hiding. I created a new Maildir (the real one, not that stupid mixed
> KDE thing) in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/maildir and copied a bunch of
> stuff there. It got moved per the kmail2 interface - the originals and
> folders were no longer in the original place, they could be viewed in
> the new maildir resource.
>
> But they could not be found on disk. And then, as I watched, the
> entire folder tree was removed from the sidebar one folder at a time
> leaving only the top-most folder. There is nothing on disk.
>
> It gets worse. I have a folder for work stuff, counting the total
> column for each folder shows there are 6562 mails. find and wc on disk
> returns 4049. So there are 2513 files not on disk that should be.
>
> I have no idea where they could be.
> They are not in .local/share/.local-mail.directory/
> They are not in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/
> I do not find cache copies in /tmp or /var/tmp
> I conclude that there must be copies in the mysql that akonadi uses (I
> thought that was only for email metadata....)
> But they have to be somewhere as kmail2 is showing them.

They say that kmail-2 has a completely different storage architecture ...

Have you looked in the mysql tables to see what is hanging in there?
(clutching at straws)

> I also discovered that kmail2 doesn't do changing of IMAP folders at
> all, it seems to be strictly read-only. I can create folders in that
> area to my heary's content, nothing shows on disk. Kmail2 doesn't seem
> to support server-side at all. I can create folders in claws easily
> enough and they show up, but not the other way round. It doesn't seem
> to be a delayed update either - 12 hours later is a bit too long for
> that.

My previous response was about Kmail-1. Kmail-2 should *not* be used
according to one developer's blog (4 months old):

https://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/category/kmail/

I've seen quite a lot of complains about slowness and missing local folders
like ... Inbox! when I googled for it.

Good luck in getting your messages back.
Mick

Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Yohan Pereira

On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 06:52:57 Mick wrote:

> I've seen quite a lot of complains about slowness and missing local folders*

> like ... Inbox! when I googled for it.

*

Wow based on all this it seems like im the only person who is using kmail2 without any problems whatsoever.

*

--

*

- Yohan Pereira

*

"A man can do as he will, but not will as he will" - Schopenhauer

Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Joost Roeleveld

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:17:14 PM Yohan Pereira wrote:
> On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 06:52:57 Mick wrote:
> > I've seen quite a lot of complains about slowness and missing local
> > folders like ... Inbox! when I googled for it.
>
> Wow based on all this it seems like im the only person who is using kmail2
> without any problems whatsoever.

With regards to data-loss, I haven't seen any problems.
I do, however, notice on occasion that kontact crashes when I send an email.

KMail2 also hasn't (yet) deleted any emails I have on my IMAP-server. I also
don't use disconnected as the machine I run kmail on has a permanent link to
the mail-server.
The only machine that could potentially benefit from it doesn't have the disk-
space to store my email (netbook with SSD-drive) and I haven't found an option
to only keep certain folders in offline-storage.

--
Joost

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Alex Schuster

Mick writes:

> On Wednesday 24 Aug 2011 23:30:16 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > I also discovered that kmail2 doesn't do changing of IMAP folders at
> > all, it seems to be strictly read-only. I can create folders in that
> > area to my heary's content, nothing shows on disk.

This works fine here.

> > Kmail2 doesn't seem
> > to support server-side at all. I can create folders in claws easily
> > enough and they show up, but not the other way round. It doesn't seem
> > to be a delayed update either - 12 hours later is a bit too long for
> > that.
>
> My previous response was about Kmail-1. Kmail-2 should *not* be used
> according to one developer's blog (4 months old):
>
> https://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/category/kmail/

The first post there is 4 moths old, the next one (about kmail2) is 15
months old, talking about KDE 4.5.

But while it's not _that_ bad any more, I was indeed advised on the kde list
that ordinary users are not supposed yet to make the switch. That was when
KDE 4.6.4 came out, I'm not sure how the situation is now.

> I've seen quite a lot of complains about slowness and missing local
> folders like ... Inbox! when I googled for it.
>
> Good luck in getting your messages back.

They are in the backup, aren't they?

Wonko

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Donnerstag 25 August 2011, 00:30:16 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> I have no idea where they could be.
> They are not in .local/share/.local-mail.directory/
> They are not in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/

no, they are in ~/.local/share/akonadi

--
#163933