Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Akonadi loses mails

On Wed 24 August 2011 22:53:09 Michael Schreckenbauer did opine
thusly:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011, 22:11:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

[snip]

> > I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there
> > imports KDE folders
>
> They are maildirs, sort of, aren't they?
> ~ $ ls .kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/new/
> {2f2c8b47-dc21-4a7a-a0c4-1f0f6a223264}
> {ef61aa1a-f38f-40a7-99b1-6573bb12afa5}

Yes, after a fashion. It's my understanding that there are multiple
implementations of maildir, all different, except that they have
directories that map to mail folders, and files that map to emails.
The actual structure varies a lot, and the only real "standard" is how
qmail did it originally

[snip]

> > There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of
> > mail disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi
> > didn't do it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer
> > had moved and consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes
> > while it reindexed everything. It appears to have just chucked
> > 2GB of pim data away.
> Check your .xsession-error for SQL-Errors. I had a ton of these and
> had to reconfigure my MySQL-Server to manage the requests it got
> from kmail/akonadi/whatever. Don't remember the details though.

I did check there, and a few other places too such as enabling mail-
related stuff in kdeugdialog and observing console output. I found
nothing that seemed relevant.

> > Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary
> > design goal (or should be).
> >
> > Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other
> > ex-KDE
> > users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
> > solution to a problem that actually does not exist.
>
> I really like kde4. But this PIM-stuff... I don't get it.

Let's not talk about the complete lack of any findable documentation.
The Nagios stuff is in better shape...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 24 Aug 2011 21:53:09 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011, 22:11:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> > Then blow up the repo so this POS will never again see the light of
> > day.
> > I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there imports
> > KDE folders
>
> They are maildirs, sort of, aren't they?
> ~ $ ls .kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/new/
> {2f2c8b47-dc21-4a7a-a0c4-1f0f6a223264}
> {ef61aa1a-f38f-40a7-99b1-6573bb12afa5}

Are you sure that these maildirs cannot be accessed exactly as/where they are
with other mail clients that read maildir? I have had no problem accessing
and reading mine with mutt.

Also, you have the Folder/Archive Folder command on the menu - would that help
you to access messages with another mail client?

> > so I use my usual trick of running a local imap server,
> > dragging mail trees into it and when the new mail client is started,
> > everything is right there.
> >
> > Akonadi/kmail2 silently destroys the mail when you attempt this.
>
> That's really bad...

If it really does this .... then it is worse than just "bad"! O_O

However, the sync of your offline mail folders with IMAP may be happening in
two steps:

1. When I send a message from Kmail it immediately shows up in my local sent-
mail folder.

2. If I sync with the IMAP server the message disappears from the local
folder! OK, no need to panic now ... although I'm getting nervous.

3. Sync again and the message now shows up again in my local folder. Phew!

Could this be happening with your local IMAP set up too and you haven't really
lost your messages?

> > I did a few tests, copied small folders, contents of other folders,
> > etc and satisfied myself it all worked nicely. Then dragged and
> > dropped nice big chunks of mail tree into the IMAP folders. The mails
> > appear in the kde view, but THEY ARE NOT ON DISK ANYMORE. What I am
> > seeing is the akonadi cache, and sooner or later that will expire.
>
> F..k!

Indeed, unless the local messages have been moved over to the IMAP server and
will show up again in the local client (and disk) once you resync with the
server - as I describe above. I haven't checked my local Mail directories on
the fs to see what happens to a message (physically) when it disappears
temporarily from a local directory in Kmail.

> > There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of mail
> > disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi didn't do
> > it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer had moved and
> > consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes while it reindexed
> > everything. It appears to have just chucked 2GB of pim data away.
>
> Check your .xsession-error for SQL-Errors. I had a ton of these and had to
> reconfigure my MySQL-Server to manage the requests it got from
> kmail/akonadi/whatever. Don't remember the details though.
>
> > Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary design
> > goal (or should be).
> >
> > Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other ex-KDE
> > users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
> > solution to a problem that actually does not exist.
>
> I really like kde4. But this PIM-stuff... I don't get it.
>
> > To say that I'm pissed off is putting it mildly.
> > Tomorrow morning I will decide if KDE4 itself is to be the next
> > casualty.

The funny thing is that other than the Konqueror/Dolphin, Kmail and K3b
applications I don't really use KDE at all. If this behaviour is true the
first thing I would do is double the frequency of my backups! o_O

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you haven't really lost all your messages
because of some unbelievable and catastrophic Akonadi bug, please let us know
what happens.
Mick

Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Mittwoch 24 August 2011, 22:11:48 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> I am about to get on a damn plane to Germany, find me the entire
> collection of KDEPIM devs and shoot every last one of those fuckers
> dead. dead. dead. dead.
>
> Then blow up the repo so this POS will never again see the light of
> day.
>
> I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there imports
> KDE folders so I use my usual trick of running a local imap server,
> dragging mail trees into it and when the new mail client is started,
> everything is right there.
>
> Akonadi/kmail2 silently destroys the mail when you attempt this.
>
> I did a few tests, copied small folders, contents of other folders,
> etc and satisfied myself it all worked nicely. Then dragged and
> dropped nice big chunks of mail tree into the IMAP folders. The mails
> appear in the kde view, but THEY ARE NOT ON DISK ANYMORE. What I am
> seeing is the akonadi cache, and sooner or later that will expire.

and you looked at the contents of .local/share/akonadi especially
local/share/akonadi/file_db_data?

> There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of mail
> disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi didn't do
> it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer had moved and
> consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes while it reindexed
> everything. It appears to have just chucked 2GB of pim data away.

just restart akonadi (akonaditray helps a lot).

> Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary design
> goal (or should be).
>
> Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other ex-KDE
> users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
> solution to a problem that actually does not exist.

you were not forced to go kmail2, were you?

You should have asked me first - yes, it is a crapfest. I haven't lost mails
(except thanks to crashes at a bad moment). Sometimes mails are gone - until
akonadi is stopped and restarted.

It is a nightmare. Yeah.

--
#163933