Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default Akonadi loses mails

I am about to get on a damn plane to Germany, find me the entire
collection of KDEPIM devs and shoot every last one of those fuckers
dead. dead. dead. dead.

Then blow up the repo so this POS will never again see the light of
day.

I'm trying to migrate away from kdepim. Nothing else out there imports
KDE folders so I use my usual trick of running a local imap server,
dragging mail trees into it and when the new mail client is started,
everything is right there.

Akonadi/kmail2 silently destroys the mail when you attempt this.

I did a few tests, copied small folders, contents of other folders,
etc and satisfied myself it all worked nicely. Then dragged and
dropped nice big chunks of mail tree into the IMAP folders. The mails
appear in the kde view, but THEY ARE NOT ON DISK ANYMORE. What I am
seeing is the akonadi cache, and sooner or later that will expire.

There was no warning, no dialog, no notification. Just a pile of mail
disappeared. Akonadi/nepomuk/kmail/virtuoso/soprano/strigi didn't do
it's usual stunt of observing that my mouse pointer had moved and
consume 200% of cpu at load 11 for 30 minutes while it reindexed
everything. It appears to have just chucked 2GB of pim data away.

Need I mention that NOT chucking pim data away is it's primary design
goal (or should be).

Now finally after 3 years, I understand what all the other ex-KDE
users are on about - this is a stinking pile of bloatcrap and a
solution to a problem that actually does not exist.

To say that I'm pissed off is putting it mildly.
Tomorrow morning I will decide if KDE4 itself is to be the next
casualty.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com