Old 08-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Hilco Wijbenga

Default Firefox 5 missing

Hi all,

I just noticed that Portage wants me to upgrade to FF 6. I know,
however, that (some of) my plugins don't run in FF6. Not a problem,
I'll just mask FF6 ... oops ... there's no more FF5?

Would it be possible to support FF5 a bit longer? The devs at FF may
have gone a bit bananas but surely we don't have to follow suit? :-)

Or is there a way to tell Portage to ignore upgrades but not downgrade FF?

Cheers,
Hilco

Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Hilco Wijbenga

On 22 August 2011 09:58, Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or is there a way to tell Portage to ignore upgrades but not downgrade FF?

I installed the FF5 ebuild in my overlay. That seems to work fine.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 22.08.2011 18:58, schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed that Portage wants me to upgrade to FF 6. I know,
> however, that (some of) my plugins don't run in FF6. Not a problem,
> I'll just mask FF6 ... oops ... there's no more FF5?
>
> Would it be possible to support FF5 a bit longer? The devs at FF may
> have gone a bit bananas but surely we don't have to follow suit? :-)
>
> Or is there a way to tell Portage to ignore upgrades but not downgrade FF?
>
> Cheers,
> Hilco

Well, in any case, FF5 should at least be masked since it does not
receive security fixes.

The cleanest way to preserve FF5 for you is to create an overlay
containing the latest version from Gentoo's CVS ([1 - 4].

The easier way (as long as you don't have to re-emerge) is to add your
*current* version of FF to /etc/portage/package.provided. As `man
portage` states:

Portage will not attempt to update a package that is listed here
unless another package explicitly requires a version that is newer than
what has been listed.

Or just mask FF completely and ignore all warnings of emerge about it.

[1] http://anoncvs.gentoo.org/
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cvs-tutorial.xml
[3]
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/retrieving-deleted-files-from-cvs-464839/
[4] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Overlay#Local_Overlays

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Hilco Wijbenga

On 22 August 2011 10:29, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 22.08.2011 18:58, schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just noticed that Portage wants me to upgrade to FF 6. I know,
>> however, that (some of) my plugins don't run in FF6. Not a problem,
>> I'll just mask FF6 ... oops ... there's no more FF5?
>>
>> Would it be possible to support FF5 a bit longer? The devs at FF may
>> have gone a bit bananas but surely we don't have to follow suit? :-)
>>
>> Or is there a way to tell Portage to ignore upgrades but not downgrade FF?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hilco
>>

> Well, in any case, FF5 should at least be masked since it does not
> receive security fixes.
>
> The cleanest way to preserve FF5 for you is to create an overlay
> containing the latest version from Gentoo's CVS ([1 - 4].

Yes, that's what I've done in the mean time.

> The easier way (as long as you don't have to re-emerge) is to add your
> *current* version of FF to /etc/portage/package.provided. As `man
> portage` states:

Ah, thank you, I did not know about package.provided.