Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Mick

Default Suspend to RAM caused crashes

Here's a strange one:

Suspending a Pentium4 32bit machine used to work a treat. For years. Then
around 9 months ago or so, I can't recall exactly, it started causing crashes.
What happens is that the monitor will go to sleep and the disk will stop
immediately, but the machine continues to run and run and run ...

At that point I have lost access to the keyboard and the monitor does not wake
up if I move the mouse. Using ssh to connect shows that the machine is off
the network, so I assume that the NIC is also suspended. The only way to
recover is to pull the plug. :-(

Unfortunately, mysql has left a lock file behind, so it won't start at reboot
until I remove the lockfile.

Now, here's the strange thing about all this. I have 4 RAM modules, 2x1G and
2x500M. Following the manual I have installed them in this order:

slot 1 - 1G,
slot 2 - 0.5G,
slot 3 - 1G,
slot 4 - 0.5G

If I try to suspend the machine soon after boot, when it is still using low
amounts of memory, the machine will suspend each time without fail (just like
it used to do in the past).

If I wait until the machine is using more than 1G or so, then it will always
crash.

I'm running memtest86+ just in case, but 3 passes and no errors are shown so
far. Suspend to RAM is really a time saver on this machine and was being used
at least 4-5 times a day. Now the box is running non-stop 16 hours a day or
more, which is wasteful (although with the Pentium4 I'm saving on central
heating bills!) Any ideas what I can look into to resolve this?
Mick

Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Sunday 21 August 2011, Mick wrote:
> Here's a strange one:
>
> Suspending a Pentium4 32bit machine used to work a treat. For years.
> Then around 9 months ago or so, I can't recall exactly, it started
> causing crashes. What happens is that the monitor will go to sleep
> and the disk will stop immediately, but the machine continues to run
> and run and run ...
>
> At that point I have lost access to the keyboard and the monitor does
> not wake up if I move the mouse. Using ssh to connect shows that
> the machine is off the network, so I assume that the NIC is also
> suspended. The only way to recover is to pull the plug. :-(
>
> Unfortunately, mysql has left a lock file behind, so it won't start
> at reboot until I remove the lockfile.
>
> Now, here's the strange thing about all this. I have 4 RAM modules,
> 2x1G and 2x500M. Following the manual I have installed them in this
> order:
>
> slot 1 - 1G,
> slot 2 - 0.5G,
> slot 3 - 1G,
> slot 4 - 0.5G
>
> If I try to suspend the machine soon after boot, when it is still
> using low amounts of memory, the machine will suspend each time
> without fail (just like it used to do in the past).
>
> If I wait until the machine is using more than 1G or so, then it will
> always crash.
>
> I'm running memtest86+ just in case, but 3 passes and no errors are
> shown so far. Suspend to RAM is really a time saver on this machine
> and was being used at least 4-5 times a day. Now the box is running
> non-stop 16 hours a day or more, which is wasteful (although with
> the Pentium4 I'm saving on central heating bills!) Any ideas what I
> can look into to resolve this?

I'm using KDE to suspend my machine, for some reason it recently stopped
working, but it was only with kernel 3.0.1

I was able to see an error quickly changing to tty12 where the console
is used to echo /var/log/messages after clicking "sleep" button in KDE

Aug 15 07:42:31 aemaeth polkitd(authority=local): Registered
Authentication Agent for unix-
session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 (system bus name :1.29
[/usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1], object path
/org/kde/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8)
Aug 15 07:42:35 aemaeth dbus[3247]: [system] Rejected send message, 2
matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.33" (uid=501 pid=4883
comm="nautilus --sm-client-id 10c6d9d5610001307993940000")
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=3297
comm="/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon ")

The machine locked itself shortly after that error, but the log was
there.

My problem is now gone with kernel 3.0.3. I wish yours it's not a RAM
issue, it could be tricky to spot, because memtest is not putting any
load to the machine, so it's very useful when it reports error, but when
it doesn't you can't be sure if RAM modules are in good health.
From my experience the stress load of compiling large packages is more
likely to evidence RAM faults than memtest itself.

HTH
Francesco

--
Linux Version 3.0.0-gentoo, Compiled #3 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 21:02:22
CEST 2011

Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Mick

On Sunday 21 Aug 2011 12:19:40 Francesco Talamona wrote:
> [...]
> Aug 15 07:42:35 aemaeth dbus[3247]: [system] Rejected send message, 2
> matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.33" (uid=501 pid=4883
> comm="nautilus --sm-client-id 10c6d9d5610001307993940000")
> interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=3297
> comm="/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon ")
>
> The machine locked itself shortly after that error, but the log was
> there.
>
> My problem is now gone with kernel 3.0.3. I wish yours it's not a RAM
> issue, it could be tricky to spot, because memtest is not putting any
> load to the machine, so it's very useful when it reports error, but when
> it doesn't you can't be sure if RAM modules are in good health.
> From my experience the stress load of compiling large packages is more
> likely to evidence RAM faults than memtest itself.

No problem with big package emerges, or running demanding applications like
gimp, inkscape and firefox, chrome and opera with umpteen tabs open, plus
Windows7 running on virtualbox on occasion. When all 3G is needed the machine
will swap happily.

I would readily say that I am certain this is not a memory problem except ...
the 2x1G RAM modules are not the same make as the 2x500M modules. In the past
I have had MoBos which were very particular on choice of memory modules and
mismatching them led to all sort of obscure crashes (e.g. when swapping was
starting).
Mick

Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Pandu Poluan

(sorry for top-posting)

Do the 1 GB pieces have the same timing values as the 0.5 GB pieces?

Try slowing down the memory timing parameters in BIOS (should look
like 8-5-3-3 or something like that; larger numbers are slower).

Rgds,

On 2011-08-21, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> it doesn't you can't be sure if RAM modules are in good health.
>> From my experience the stress load of compiling large packages is more
>> likely to evidence RAM faults than memtest itself.
>
> No problem with big package emerges, or running demanding applications like
> gimp, inkscape and firefox, chrome and opera with umpteen tabs open, plus
> Windows7 running on virtualbox on occasion. When all 3G is needed the
> machine
> will swap happily.
>
> I would readily say that I am certain this is not a memory problem except
> the 2x1G RAM modules are not the same make as the 2x500M modules. In the
> past
> I have had MoBos which were very particular on choice of memory modules and
> mismatching them led to all sort of obscure crashes (e.g. when swapping was

Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/