Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/5663-amd64-livecd-2007-0-problem.html)

Neil Bothwick 11-26-2007 07:01 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
 
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:08:13 -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:

> > Good suggestion! As mentioned my goal is upgrading Gentoo as I've
> > replaced my Athlon XP mobo with an AMD64 x2 mobo. Is the
> > SystemRescueCD usable for this?
>
> portage is usable for this.

Unless he wants to go 64-bit.


--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 00E: Window open - Do not look inside

"Andrey Vul" 11-26-2007 11:45 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
 
Kernel panics can be due to bad ram. Try loading the memtest86 kernel
and leave your computer on for a couple of days. If ram's ok, then the
kernel panic could be something else.
--
Andrey Vul
int i;main(){for(;i["]<i;++i){--i;}"];read('-'-'-',i+++"hell
o, world!
",'/'/'/'));}read(j,i,p){write(j/p+p,i---j,i/i);}
hail ioccc
--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list

David Relson 11-27-2007 01:29 AM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
 
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:45:59 -0500
Andrey Vul wrote:

> Kernel panics can be due to bad ram. Try loading the memtest86 kernel
> and leave your computer on for a couple of days. If ram's ok, then the
> kernel panic could be something else.
> --
> Andrey Vul

True, panics can be caused by bad ram. This panic followed a
"NMI Watchdog ... LOCKUP". As the problem is reproducible I'm inclined
to think it's not bad ram.
--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list

"Andrey Vul" 11-27-2007 01:48 AM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
 
On Nov 26, 2007 9:29 PM, David Relson <relson@osagesoftware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:45:59 -0500
> Andrey Vul wrote:
>
> > Kernel panics can be due to bad ram. Try loading the memtest86 kernel
> > and leave your computer on for a couple of days. If ram's ok, then the
> > kernel panic could be something else.
> > --
> > Andrey Vul
>
> True, panics can be caused by bad ram. This panic followed a
> "NMI Watchdog ... LOCKUP". As the problem is reproducible I'm inclined
> to think it's not bad ram.
>
> --
> gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list
>
>

Hmm...NMI Watchdog sounds like the system crashes due to waiting for
an interrupt for a longer period of time than the watchdog allows.

--
Andrey Vul
int i;main(){for(;i["]<i;++i){--i;}"];read('-'-'-',i+++"hell
o, world!
",'/'/'/'));}read(j,i,p){write(j/p+p,i---j,i/i);}
hail ioccc
--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list

Dan Farrell 11-27-2007 03:13 PM

AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
 
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:01:02 +0000
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:08:13 -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
>
> > > Good suggestion! As mentioned my goal is upgrading Gentoo as I've
> > > replaced my Athlon XP mobo with an AMD64 x2 mobo. Is the
> > > SystemRescueCD usable for this?
> >
> > portage is usable for this.
>
> Unless he wants to go 64-bit.
>
>
Should be able to build a 64-bit system from a 32-bit system, shouldn't
you?
--
gentoo-user@gentoo.org mailing list


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.