Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Michael Higgins

Default fetchmail to procmail (or something) to arbitrary dir?

Hello, OT post here, but:

I (the office, actually) have this lousy ISP that sells mailboxes
limited to 50MB. Whatever, I can't change that just now.

I have need to keep all mail in one place... for safekeeping, mostly.
50MB is not enough and I get a quota warning.

So, knowing this situation is BS, I thought, what's the quickest and
dirtiest way (short of hacking up another perl script) that I can make
this just go away, without losing that backup storage?

Anyway, I puzzled a bit and decided 'fetchmail' sounds pretty good,
pretty much what I want to do here. But, it needs sendmail...?? I don't
want a MTA on this box. So, I see 'procmail' is an alternative target.
Hmm.

I see the process as, getting a quota warning and then running
'fetchmail' as a user. It worked, but not how I want.

I got the mail off the server, but now it's in my 'own' .maildir folder.
As I will need to set up a dump folder for a bunch of different
accounts, this won't do.

So, what part did I miss about setting the MAILDIR? For some reason my
config selected the 'DEFAULT'. How can I set up multiple procmail
targets and choose which one I want based on the .fetchmailrc?

(Yeah, I don't want to actually learn procmail rules or anything.)

poll pop.lousyfreakinisp.com protocol POP3
user "job@work.com" password "job" fetchall
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

Or, is there some other more lightweight brainless set-and-forget way I
can approach this? Quota-warning->dumpALLpop3email to local folders
one each for six or seven email accounts? Without setting up new users?

I don't really even care what the format of the folder is, just that
it isn't the multi-gigabyte .pst files everyone else has. Would
rcvstore[?] work?

Cheers,

--
| /| | | ~ ~
| / | |---| `|` ?
| |ichael | |iggins ^ /
michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 15 February 2008, Michael Higgins wrote:
> Hello, OT post here, but:
>
> I (the office, actually) have this lousy ISP that sells mailboxes
> limited to 50MB. Whatever, I can't change that just now.
>
> I have need to keep all mail in one place... for safekeeping, mostly.
> 50MB is not enough and I get a quota warning.

Those nice people at google have, like so many other problems we used to
have, solved this one for you too.

It's called gmail and you just forward everything there

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 PM