Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default systemd

Am 17.08.2011 16:47, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Sigh. Still no ttys here.
> "out of the box" should feel different.
>
> Will dig more ...

Sorry for the noise, got it now. Too old udev etc before.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 17.08.2011 17:00, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 17.08.2011 16:47, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
>> Sigh. Still no ttys here.
>> "out of the box" should feel different.
>>
>> Will dig more ...
>
> Sorry for the noise, got it now. Too old udev etc before.

First steps:

added network.service and sshd.service

following

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Systemd#Services

sshd.service gets started at boot, network.service not ...

I linked multi-user.target to /etc/systemd/system/default.target, didn't
help.

Do I need that link?

Starting network.service with systemctl works, so no typo hidden here,
as it seems.

Stefan

Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 17.08.2011 18:00, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> sshd.service gets started at boot, network.service not ...
>
> I linked multi-user.target to /etc/systemd/system/default.target,
> didn't help.
>
> Do I need that link?

Solved, but dunno if done correctly.

ln -sf /etc/systemd/system/network.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants

ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/default.target

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Yes, I know, I should start a new thread.

So far I got the impression that it would take quite some time and work
to get my machines and their services configured correctly.

For now I will keep it inside that ~amd64-VM and continue to test and learn.

Stefan

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Ok then, separate thread ;-)

I just watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMLi8QF6sw

while I continued testing systemd in my VM.

The VM runs ~amd64, so far only a few services started (I still get my
head around how to enable/disable specific services/targets), and it
boots really fast.

I am not the ricer-kind-of-gentoo-users, but it impresses me anyway.

And I clearly see the benefits of socket-based-activation,
cgroup-control and other stuff systemd brings.

AFAI see the wiki mentioned is a starting point only.
It provides the first steps, but not much more, at least to me, right now.

-

There is a layman-overlay "systemd" which brings units (service-files)
to your system. AFAI understand it is still up to the user to
enable/link these files into their runlevel?

If it is that way it feels like a bit of trial-and-error to me to get my
systemd-setup doing the same things my current openrc-system does.

Especially for not-so-trivial stuff like the network settings for KVM
(bridging, TUN/TAP ...)

My approach would be to "rc-config show", take that list and try to
enable the according services within systemd.

Maybe I am completely wrong, maybe not.

I'd be happy to discuss these things with you gentoo-users.

Thanks, greets, Stefan

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am 17.08.2011 23:04, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> I just watched this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyMLi8QF6sw

Great Video, thanks for the Link.
I wanted to try systemd for quite some time but now I think that I will
install it on my Desktop-PC tomorrow. The summer here this year is very
wet, so leaving the house is not really fun so I have time to kill.

> I'd be happy to discuss these things with you gentoo-users.

I will use that offer and will keep you, and everyone else here, up to
date and posted.

But now it is time for bed here.

Greetings and good night or good day

Sebastian Be▀ler

Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 18.08.2011 00:54, schrieb Sebastian Be▀ler:

>> I'd be happy to discuss these things with you gentoo-users.
>
> I will use that offer and will keep you, and everyone else here, up
> to date and posted.

looking fwd to your report.
greets, Stefan

Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

As always when I want to do anything like this there comes something
more important along and occupies all of my time.

So migration to systemd is stoped for now.
Hope I will come to it soon.

Greets
Sebastian

Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-08-20 22:54, schrieb Sebastian Be▀ler:
> As always when I want to do anything like this there comes something
> more important along and occupies all of my time.
>
> So migration to systemd is stoped for now. Hope I will come to it
> soon.

Continued playing and learning and enabled it on my ~amd64 thinkpad.

Networkmanager and gdm work already, sound as well, it was quite easy.
enabled syslog-ng and sshd.socket

Beauty issues:

I get dozens of
/sys/devices/virtual/tty/tty* services running.
Don't know if that has to be that way.

My encrypted /home is now mounted three times. This might be related to
suspend-to-ram and the fact that I maybe should look deeper into how to
cryptsetup within systemd.

So far it works, but it isn't correct and also seems to trigger problems
with waking up from hibernation (multiple password-requests ...).

I will continue exploring other services soon.
Especially how to set up KVM, vmware, and the needed network-bridging etc.

Stefan

Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

next box tested.
Installed systemd on my main workstation now that I understood how to
easily flip back to booting w/ openrc in case of problems.

I heavily use LVM here and this gives me the following issues:

I use lvm.service from the gentoo-wiki:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Systemd#LVM

For sure I enabled it ...

When I boot this machine it boots up to starting the LVM-devices and
waits for some time then writes something like:

welcome to emergency mode ...
Start of /dev/VG...something failed (due to some dependencies)

(for all the LVs)

and lets me login or press Ctrl-D to continue.

(I can't remember the exact words, don't know if they are logged somewhere)

When I press Ctrl-D all the LVs are mounted(!) and it boots up fine to
graphical login.

hmm.

It then tells me:

# systemctl status lvm.service
lvm.service - Linux Volume Manager
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/lvm.service)
Active: active (exited) since Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:55:36 +0200; 22min ago
Process: 5568 ExecStop=/sbin/lvchange --sysinit -a ln $(/sbin/vgs -o
vg_name --noheadings --nosuffix 2> /dev/null) (code=exited, status=3)
Process: 5861 ExecStart=/sbin/vgchange --sysinit -a ly (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 5738 ExecStart=/sbin/vgscan --mknodes --ignorelockingfailure
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 5654 ExecStart=/sbin/pvscan --ignorelockingfailure
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/lvm.service

Why does that ExecStop fail? Why is it called at boot anyway?

I also tried another lvm.service from the russian gentoo-wiki, that
servicefile just pulls in /etc/init.d/lvm, but that didn't help so I
went back to the mentioned file.

What I wonder: what changes between running into that timeout and my
pressing Ctrl-D?

Thanks for helpful comments, Stefan