Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

Default systemd

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 04:06:08PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Kernel patches from Lennart were properly reviewed, and accepted only after
> > the maintainers and subsystem maintainers approved them as an acceptable
> > solution for the general problem they were supposed to be addressing.
> >
> > Lennart would not be able to easily push random crap to the kernel upstream
> > even if he tried to. It is a very different situation from userland.
>
> How so? Do you believe Redhat, Fedora etc. ship anything Lennart writes without
> any kind of review? Do you think he has carte blanche as part of his employment
> to do whatever he wants?

No. And you are the one saying the above, not me. I also happen to have
zero tolerance to this kind of argument line.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Jon Dowland

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 09:12:35PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Lennart would not be able to easily push random crap to the kernel upstream
> > > even if he tried to. It is a very different situation from userland.
> >
> > How so? Do you believe Redhat, Fedora etc. ship anything Lennart writes without
> > any kind of review? Do you think he has carte blanche as part of his employment
> > to do whatever he wants?
>
> No. And you are the one saying the above, not me.

I must be misinterpreting what you are saying. I believed you meant that Lennart
is able to push "random crap" into userland, whereas he is not capable of doing
so for the Kernel. My counter-point was to indicate that the gateway to userland
was the distributions, and Lennart's userland contributions don't reach the users
without review from other human beings.

Which part did I get wrong?

> I also happen to have zero tolerance to this kind of argument line.

Never assume malovence when incompetence adequately explains the situation.