Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:36 +0100, Strong Cypher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an alternative to ext2/3.
>
> I have put reiser3/4 out because of project seems to be off now ... or
> not really active
>
> I really want an active project.
>
> Is they a good fs that is extremly adapted to gentoo system
> (portage ...)
>
> Is they fs that support gzip like reiser4 do ?
>
> For exemple , with reiser4 the portage directory don't take a lot of
> space, and so read it it's really fast...
>
> I want a alternative
>
> is ext4 a good alternative ?

Don't know about ext4 but for portage trees I found ext2 to be faster
than everything else I tried (primarily reiserfs3.6).

Have you taken a look at XFS or JFS?

Concerning online compression I can only think of cramfs (which is
read-only) or NTFS (do they support compression by now? I know that I
can format a partition and set it to compressed but I've not tried it.)

Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> said, On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:17:11AM -0600:
> Aaron Clark wrote:
>> Dale wrote:

>>> Little addition to XFS, I tried it once a while ago. Every time the
>>> power failed, it would never boot again. I can say from personal
>>> experience and from what I have read from others, if you plan to use XFS,
>>> have a good UPS hooked up. It does not like power failures at all. YMMV

>> In the YMMV category, I've used XFS on pretty much every file server
>> I've had in the last 4-5 years and it's never given me any trouble despite
>> pretty much never having a UPS hooked up and a decent number of power
>> outages. Granted, I never used it on my root filesystem, only storage
>> partitions.

>> Aaron
>
> Good idea not to use it on the / file system. LOL I was using Mandriva
> for my ex's Mom. After about three or four tries, I went back to reiserfs.
> It would crash but it would boot right back up again. Nothing lost that I
> know of.
>
> I just never trusted it again. I have also been told, and read elsewhere,
> that it is a pretty well known thing that it doesn't like power failures.
> It has its good points tho, which is why I was trying it out.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Hey guys,

Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
/usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
12000) and movies...

I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
/ : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
/usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
/var : //
/home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
/usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
/mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)

Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
quite slow due to the encryption...

Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
everywhere, any suggestions??

Thanks...

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Florian Philipp

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 21:05 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
> on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
> /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
> 12000) and movies...
>
> I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
> / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
> /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
> /var : //
> /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
> /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
> /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
>

> Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
> would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
> built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
> quite slow due to the encryption...
>
> Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
> server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
> server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
> everywhere, any suggestions??
>
> Thanks...

First of all, if there are filesystem errors, check your cables, your
controller and your disks. I don't think filesystem errors count as
normal behavior ...

To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.

I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.

If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
(without ccache) with xfs.

/home could use data=journal. Those data are precious and if I remember
correctly, this setting even brings an obscure (i.e. undocumented) speed
improvement with many parallel disk accesses, for example in a
multi-user environment.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> said, On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:24:55PM +0100:

> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 21:05 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> > Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
> > on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
> > /usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
> > 12000) and movies...

> > I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
> > / : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
> > /usr : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
> > /var : //
> > /home : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)
> > /usr/portage : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
> > /mnt/storage : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs options ??)

> > Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
> > would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
> > built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
> > quite slow due to the encryption...

> > Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
> > server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
> > server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
> > everywhere, any suggestions??

> > Thanks...

> First of all, if there are filesystem errors, check your cables, your
> controller and your disks. I don't think filesystem errors count as
> normal behavior ...
I should check that out, thanks

> To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
> at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
> usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
> times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
> reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.
I don't use XFS, curently I only have / and /home and I want to split
it to more smaller partitions, I'm on LVM so it's easy, anyway I'm
going with ReiserFS for /usr /var, would you please suggest
mkfs.reiserfs options as I have nerver used ReiserFS-3 before (yep 5
years using linux and I've always used ext3...) also You didn't mention
/var, would you say ReiserFS-3 is a good choice as well?

> I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
> Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
> and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
> reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.
I've already made the partition as suggested in [1] I used this
command:
$ mke2fs -b 1024 -N 200000 -m 0 -O dir_index

I guess 1K block size would be faster??

> If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
> (without ccache) with xfs.
What did you mean by 'without ccache'? I have ccache and I use it...

> /home could use data=journal. Those data are precious and if I remember
> correctly, this setting even brings an obscure (i.e. undocumented) speed
> improvement with many parallel disk accesses, for example in a
> multi-user environment.
it's done, thanks, BTW what's your home partition FS? your choice is
ext3 or reiserFS??

One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??

[1]: http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#Make_A_Sparse_File_to_crea te_portage_in

Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 00:32 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > To your filesystem scheme: Why do you use xfs for usr? AFAIK XFS is good
> > at write speed but not worth the trouble when reading data and data in
> > usr is usually written once, updated every few months and read many
> > times a week (on rebooting Desktop PCs maybe once a day). I'd use
> > reiserfs3.6, maybe even without notail to make it more space efficient.
> I don't use XFS, curently I only have / and /home and I want to split
> it to more smaller partitions, I'm on LVM so it's easy, anyway I'm
> going with ReiserFS for /usr /var, would you please suggest
> mkfs.reiserfs options as I have nerver used ReiserFS-3 before (yep 5
> years using linux and I've always used ext3...) also You didn't mention
> /var, would you say ReiserFS-3 is a good choice as well?

I don't think there's alot to do when creating a reiserfs. You could
change the number of blocks for the journal. A bigger journal allows
larger transactions which speed up write actions but might waste space.
If you've got a second hard drive you could use an external journal but
I've never done any benchmarking on that issue although I use it on my
personal wannabe server (a raid1 and a single disk for the journal and
unimportant data).

I didn't comment on /var because I don't know how you use it. I suspect
it to hold alot of temporal data like lock files, spools and so on. So
there's a lot of creating and removing files going on, possibly in
parallel. XFS is good in parallel and in creating files but terrible in
removing files. Reiserfs with notail seems a good choice if you ask me
(what you did )

> > I'd also use ext2 on /usr/portage. These data don't need journaling.
> > Everything's got an MD5-sum to make sure it's unchanged after a crash
> > and you can easily resync. I found ext2 with 2k blocks to be faster than
> > reiserfs3.6, even on read-performance.
> I've already made the partition as suggested in [1] I used this
> command:
> $ mke2fs -b 1024 -N 200000 -m 0 -O dir_index
>
> I guess 1K block size would be faster??

I'm not sure. 2K blocks might reduce fragmentation.

If you look at the output of
find /usr/portage/ -type f | xargs du -h --apparent-size
you'll see that there are quiet a few files larger than 1K but most are
smaller and might stay that small. So yes, I think 1K is a good choice
but you won't loose much with 2K, maybe you even gain some speed.

> > If I were you, I'd also use separate volumes for /tmp and /var/tmp
> > (without ccache) with xfs.
> What did you mean by 'without ccache'? I have ccache and I use it...

I meant that you should keep ccache on a separate partition. I just
think: Less stuff in the FS, less work on allocation and lookup, more
speed. And there's a lot of stuff in 2GB ccache.

By the way: I don't think /var/tmp is a good place for ccache (not
technically, just for the sake of layout). I've moved it to /var/db
since it's not really a bunch of temporary data but more like a changing
database.

> > /home could use data=journal. Those data are precious and if I remember
> > correctly, this setting even brings an obscure (i.e. undocumented) speed
> > improvement with many parallel disk accesses, for example in a
> > multi-user environment.
> it's done, thanks, BTW what's your home partition FS? your choice is
> ext3 or reiserFS??

I use reiserfs3.6 without notail but that doesn't mean that it would be
a good choice for you. I'm on laptop and disk space efficiency is a big
topic for me so I use tail-packing wherever suitable. And yes, I am a
fan of ReiserFS-3.6. I think it's the best multipurpose FS. You can
easily adapt it for high performance or high disk space efficiency. If
its journaling would be as good as Ext3's data=journal I'd use it
everywhere except for small partitions (ext2) and big files (ext3 and
xfs).

> One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
> feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
> resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??

Yes, it's just as good and the sky's the limit for resizing
Oh, by the way: If you choose to use XFS somewhere, keep in mind that
you can't shrink and XFS-FS. Neither online nor offline.

One last thing: It's a bit old but I think it's still interesting,
especially for XFS-users:

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435

Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> said, On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:50:04AM +0100:

> [...]

> topic for me so I use tail-packing wherever suitable. And yes, I am a
> fan of ReiserFS-3.6. I think it's the best multipurpose FS. You can
> easily adapt it for high performance or high disk space efficiency. If
> its journaling would be as good as Ext3's data=journal I'd use it
> everywhere except for small partitions (ext2) and big files (ext3 and
> xfs).

> > One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
> > feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
> > resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??

> Yes, it's just as good and the sky's the limit for resizing
> Oh, by the way: If you choose to use XFS somewhere, keep in mind that
> you can't shrink and XFS-FS. Neither online nor offline.

> One last thing: It's a bit old but I think it's still interesting,

Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot, I just finished
resizing/migrating all partitions, Though I still have the Storage
partition, which is for my Mp3z and is almost 70Gb, with ext3, I'll
see later if I do migrate to ReiserFS or not but the rest is done,
please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
suggestions please do tell me.

Thanks a lot guys....

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com
PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.
# Fstab

/dev/system/gentoo-root / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/whd120.1 /common-boot ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/system/home /home reiserfs defaults,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/system/gentoo-overlays /home/overlays ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/system/gentoo-usr /usr reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/system/gentoo-var /var reiserfs defaults,notail 0 0
/dev/system/tmp /tmp xfs defaults 0 0
/dev/system/var-tmp /var/tmp xfs defaults 0 0
/dev/system/storage /mnt/storage ext3 defaults,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/system/swap none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro,user 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

# Sizes: (120Gb Hdd)

/dev/system/gentoo-root 1G
/dev/system/gentoo-overlays 1G
/dev/system/gentoo-usr 4G
/dev/system/gentoo-var 500M
/dev/system/tmp 500M
/dev/system/var-tmp 100M

I use gentoo/paludis building on another partition... the gentoo-overlays partition is
the one for /usr/portage but actually I use paludis and so I have all overlays (gentoo and
whatever layman gets) in /home/overlays...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> said, On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 10:35:18AM +0000:
> On Saturday 16 February 2008 05:33:43 Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot

> (Why was it necessary to quote the whole of it again?)

> > please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
> > suggestions please do tell me.

> Just a tiny point: you don't need "defaults" if another value appears as
> well, as in:

> /dev/system/home /home reiserfs defaults,user_xattr 0 0

> This will do just as well:

> /dev/system/home /home reiserfs user_xattr 0 0

> Defaults are what you get if you don't specify anything.

> Thank you all for this interesting discussion, which has given me a few
> ideas for improving --sync time on my server box.

Thanks for the TIP and again for your help

Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Florian Philipp

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 06:33 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:

> > > it's done, thanks, BTW what's your home partition FS? your choice is
> > > ext3 or reiserFS??
>

> > I use reiserfs3.6 without notail but that doesn't mean that it would be
> > a good choice for you. I'm on laptop and disk space efficiency is a big
> > topic for me so I use tail-packing wherever suitable. And yes, I am a
> > fan of ReiserFS-3.6. I think it's the best multipurpose FS. You can
> > easily adapt it for high performance or high disk space efficiency. If
> > its journaling would be as good as Ext3's data=journal I'd use it
> > everywhere except for small partitions (ext2) and big files (ext3 and
> > xfs).
>
> > > One last thing, since I'm on LVM resizing the partition is a must
> > > feature, in ext3 I use resize2fs which works quite nicely, is
> > > resize_reiserfs as reliable as resize2fs is??
>

> > Yes, it's just as good and the sky's the limit for resizing
> > Oh, by the way: If you choose to use XFS somewhere, keep in mind that
> > you can't shrink and XFS-FS. Neither online nor offline.
>
> > One last thing: It's a bit old but I think it's still interesting,
> > especially for XFS-users:
>
> > http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435
>
> Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot, I just finished
> resizing/migrating all partitions, Though I still have the Storage
> partition, which is for my Mp3z and is almost 70Gb, with ext3, I'll
> see later if I do migrate to ReiserFS or not but the rest is done,
> please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
> suggestions please do tell me.

You could use the noatime mount option on all your partitions. With
atimes enabled, every time you read a file, its (mostly useless) access
time is updated which results in a write action. The only program that I
know to use atimes is mutt (for mail spools only).

You could also take a look at the link I've posted in my last message.
It contains useful mount options for XFS.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Wael Nasreddine

This One Time, at Band Camp, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> said, On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 06:22:13PM +0100:

> > > I use reiserfs3.6 without notail but that doesn't mean that it would be
> > > a good choice for you. I'm on laptop and disk space efficiency is a big
> > > topic for me so I use tail-packing wherever suitable. And yes, I am a
> > > fan of ReiserFS-3.6. I think it's the best multipurpose FS. You can
> > > easily adapt it for high performance or high disk space efficiency. If
> > > its journaling would be as good as Ext3's data=journal I'd use it
> > > everywhere except for small partitions (ext2) and big files (ext3 and
> > > xfs).

> > > Yes, it's just as good and the sky's the limit for resizing
> > > Oh, by the way: If you choose to use XFS somewhere, keep in mind that
> > > you can't shrink and XFS-FS. Neither online nor offline.

> > > One last thing: It's a bit old but I think it's still interesting,
> > > especially for XFS-users:

> > > http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1479435

> > Thank you for your detailed answer it helped a lot, I just finished
> > resizing/migrating all partitions, Though I still have the Storage
> > partition, which is for my Mp3z and is almost 70Gb, with ext3, I'll
> > see later if I do migrate to ReiserFS or not but the rest is done,
> > please take a look at the file attached... and if you have any more
> > suggestions please do tell me.

> You could use the noatime mount option on all your partitions. With
> atimes enabled, every time you read a file, its (mostly useless) access
> time is updated which results in a write action. The only program that I
> know to use atimes is mutt (for mail spools only).

> You could also take a look at the link I've posted in my last message.
> It contains useful mount options for XFS.

Thank you for the TIP as well, I added noatime to all partitions
except for /home because mutt keeps imap cache on it, I'm not sure if
it's atime depending or not I should probably check it out though...

Thanks