-   -   OT: Cheap PS2/USB keyboard/mouse adaptors. WAS: slightly OT, laptop for gentoo (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/56299-ot-cheap-ps2-usb-keyboard-mouse-adaptors-slightly-ot-laptop-gentoo.html)

Stroller 02-15-2008 12:45 PM

OT: Cheap PS2/USB keyboard/mouse adaptors. WAS: slightly OT, laptop for gentoo

On 15 Feb 2008, at 01:21, David Relson wrote:

Here in Michigan they seem a bit pricey, as well. A single PS/2 to
USB
adapter is a few dollars but the dual PS/2 to USB "Y" adapter is
$16.00
(or worse). I had hoped to use one with my PS/2 only KVM but the
combo

doesn't work. I suspect the issue is with the KVM as I have 2
different "Y" adapters and neither works. Sigh :-<

Here are these cables for only $5 delivered (worldwide):
http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA4036.htm

I have used Ye Olde Ledde Shoppe on a number of occasions and have
been very happy with their service. A delivery failed to arrive once
& I contacted CCnow (the payments processor) and the purchase price
was refunded immediately; a replacement order I made with Ledde
Shoppe arrived a few days later.

These Y-cables are supposed to work with KVMs, but I have only had my
KVM a couple of weeks, so haven't gotten around yet to testing
thoroughly. My KVM is (apparently) PS2 only, but it does have a PS2 /
USB keyboard setting in the configuration menus, so it might be worth
playing with that if yours is the same.

Stroller.

David Relson 02-15-2008 11:29 PM

OT: Cheap PS2/USB keyboard/mouse adaptors. WAS: slightly OT, laptop for gentoo

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:45:58 +0000
Stroller wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2008, at 01:21, David Relson wrote:
> > Here in Michigan they seem a bit pricey, as well. A single PS/2
> > to USB
> > adapter is a few dollars but the dual PS/2 to USB "Y" adapter is
> > $16.00
> > (or worse). I had hoped to use one with my PS/2 only KVM but the
> > combo
> > doesn't work. I suspect the issue is with the KVM as I have 2
> > different "Y" adapters and neither works. Sigh :-<
>
> Here are these cables for only $5 delivered (worldwide):
> http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA4036.htm
>
> I have used Ye Olde Ledde Shoppe on a number of occasions and have
> been very happy with their service. A delivery failed to arrive once
> & I contacted CCnow (the payments processor) and the purchase price
> was refunded immediately; a replacement order I made with Ledde
> Shoppe arrived a few days later.
>
> These Y-cables are supposed to work with KVMs, but I have only had
> my KVM a couple of weeks, so haven't gotten around yet to testing
> thoroughly. My KVM is (apparently) PS2 only, but it does have a
> PS2 / USB keyboard setting in the configuration menus, so it might be
> worth playing with that if yours is the same.
>
> Stroller.

I'm willing to gamble $5 on a company I've never heard of. If it works
with my KVM it'll be great (and I'll be able to return the $16 cable
that doesn't work). Even if it just works with my keyboard and mouse
I'll be able to return the cable. How can I lose???

David