Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
"Strong Cypher"

Default reiser4 status

Old 02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 15. Februar 2008 schrieb ext Strong Cypher:

> Well, I'm currently testing last version of reiser4 and it seems to be
> fast and reliable.
>
> namesys website seems to be off now

That's no wonder, Namesys is currently out of business due to Mr. Reiser's
ongoing court trial.

> ... I wondering where this fs will
> go now ?

It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two former
namesys employees are still working on it.

> It's in curse of import in kernel or totally abandonned ?

Don't know.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 15 February 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > ... I wondering where this fs will *
> > go now ?
>
> It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two
> former namesys employees are still working on it.
>
> > It's in curse of import in kernel or totally abandonned ?
>
> Don't know.

Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months -
going nowhere.

And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into mainline. The
reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for kernel devs

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Erik

Alan McKinnon skrev:
> On Friday 15 February 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>
>>> ... I wondering where this fs will
>>> go now ?
>>>
>> It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two
>> former namesys employees are still working on it.
>>

>>> It's in curse of import in kernel or totally abandonned ?
>>>
>> Don't know.
>>

> Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
> driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months -
> going nowhere.
>
> And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into mainline. The
> reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for kernel devs
That would be really bad. What is going on? Who is behind that legal
attack on against the free world and Hans? Must be someone who wants to
harm us. Is there anything we can do about it?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 15 February 2008, Erik wrote:
> Alan McKinnon skrev:
> >>
> >> It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two
> >> former namesys employees are still working on it.

> >> Don't know.
> >
> > Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
> > driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months
> > - going nowhere.
> >
> > And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into
> > mainline. The reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for
> > kernel devs
>
> That would be really bad. What is going on? Who is behind that legal
> attack on against the free world and Hans? Must be someone who wants
> to harm us. Is there anything we can do about it?

what the f..k are you on about?

Hans is accused of murdering his Russian bride and is on trial right
now. This has nothing to do with the free world, it's the legal system
in operation.

Nothing to see here, move along, 'kthanxbye

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Dale

Erik wrote:

Alan McKinnon skrev:

On Friday 15 February 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

... I wondering where this fs will
go now ?

It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two
former namesys employees are still working on it.

It's in curse of import in kernel or totally abandonned ?

Don't know.

Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months -
going nowhere.

And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into mainline. The
reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for kernel devs

That would be really bad. What is going on? Who is behind that legal
attack on against the free world and Hans? Must be someone who wants to
harm us. Is there anything we can do about it?

If I recall correctly, he is accused of killing his wife. Since he was
the one that was leading the project and he is well, busy, then things
have sort of slowed if not stopped all together.

It's not someone trying to stop him from working on the file system.
This is unrelated to that.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Florian Philipp

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:57 +0100, Erik wrote:
> Alan McKinnon skrev:

> >> It's in the -mm tree since a long time now and AFAIK one or two
> >> former namesys employees are still working on it.

> >> Don't know.
> >>

> > Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
> > driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months -
> > going nowhere.
> >
> > And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into mainline. The
> > reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for kernel devs
> That would be really bad. What is going on? Who is behind that legal
> attack on against the free world and Hans? Must be someone who wants to
> harm us. Is there anything we can do about it?

Legal attack on Hans Reiser? Oh, you don't know the story?

Okay, short version: Hans is a weird person. And now, his wife
disappeared and the police found indications (alot) that he murdered
her. And now all of Namesys' money is spend on defending him.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Erik

Florian Philipp skrev:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:57 +0100, Erik wrote:
>
>> Alan McKinnon skrev:

>>> Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
>>> driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months -
>>> going nowhere.
>>>
>>> And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into mainline. The
>>> reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for kernel devs
>>>
>> That would be really bad. What is going on? Who is behind that legal
>> attack on against the free world and Hans? Must be someone who wants to
>> harm us. Is there anything we can do about it?
>>
> Legal attack on Hans Reiser? Oh, you don't know the story?
>
> Okay, short version: Hans is a weird person. And now, his wife
> disappeared and the police found indications (alot) that he murdered
> her. And now all of Namesys' money is spend on defending him.

What do you mean by "Hans is a weird person."? Do you know him
personally or did you just "read it somewhere"? I only saw a video
lecture with him talking about namespaces and filesystems (he seemed
perfectly normal there at least). And I use his filesystem (reiser3.6),
which has worked perfectly for over 3 years on my laptop. How likely is
it that he would have committed such a crime? What motive would he have?

That sounds like the perfect way to harm the free software community.
Make some important person's wife disappear. Is there any organization
out there who would do something dirty to harm us if they could get away
with it? How trustworthy is the Russian police? Is the Russian legal
system working satisfactory?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 15 February 2008, Erik wrote:

> What do you mean by "Hans is a weird person."? Do you know him
> personally or did you just "read it somewhere"? I only saw a video
> lecture with him talking about namespaces and filesystems (he seemed
> perfectly normal there at least). And I use his filesystem
> (reiser3.6), which has worked perfectly for over 3 years on my
> laptop. How likely is it that he would have committed such a crime?
> What motive would he have?

read the lkml archives. read the current blogs about how Hans is
conducting himself in a court of law. Read his statements to the police
when questioned about his wife's disappearance. Read his defense. Read
his website.

What comes out of that? Hans Reiser is a typical geek who has a problem
seeing the same reality as the rest of the world. It's very common
amongst geeks, and we can mostly spot it a mile off. It's not rocket
science.

I also use ReiserFS-3.6 and it is a very good filesystem. That is one
thing. There is this other thing, which is the ability to musrder
someone, and that is totally unrelated to the ability to write
self-balancing filesystem metadata trees.

Any associated opinion between his skill as a coder and the likelyhood
of his having murdered or not murdered his wife is an illogical opinion
in extreme.

> That sounds like the perfect way to harm the free software community.
> Make some important person's wife disappear.

You must be new here.

Hans Reiser? Important? I don't think so. In the general scheme of
things he's about as important as ESR.

If you wanted to bring free software into disrepute there are many much
more likely targets:

Linus, Alan Cox, Ingo, RMS, drobbins, Theo, Andrew M, Patrick V, Miguel,
David R.

> Is there any
> organization out there who would do something dirty to harm us if
> they could get away with it? How trustworthy is the Russian police?
> Is the Russian legal system working satisfactory?

Look at the case itself.

Hans has a distorted view of reality as seen by the rest of the world.
His wife is apparently a bitch of note. That's motive #1.

You want a likely suspect for who could have framed him? Try the
disappeared wife's current boyfriend. Tons of suspicious actions
there - read the court records, it's all in there.

This whole court case is entirely explained by human greed and emotion
in marital affairs. It is not necessary to involve free software to
come to an entirely reasonable explanation, in much the same way that
the Enron CEO's hobbies do not feature in the explanation of the
collapse of Enron

Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:47:25 +0100, Erik wrote:

> And I use his filesystem (reiser3.6),
> which has worked perfectly for over 3 years on my laptop. How likely is
> it that he would have committed such a crime? What motive would he have?

Isn't that something for the courts to decide, rather than uninformed
speculation based on mailing list posts?

> That sounds like the perfect way to harm the free software community.
> Make some important person's wife disappear. Is there any organization
> out there who would do something dirty to harm us if they could get away
> with it? How trustworthy is the Russian police? Is the Russian legal
> system working satisfactory?

With all due respect to Hans Reiser, and I use his filesystem myself, I
don't think his incarceration would significantly harm the OSS community.
It's a filesystem, there are plenty of others of comparable quality.

Nor does it have anything to do with the Russian legal system, as
everything is taking place in the US, where everybody gets as much
justice as they can afford.

--
Neil Bothwick

Octal: (n.) a base-8 counting system designed so that one hand may count
upon the fingers of the other. Thumbs are not used, and the index finger
is reserved for the 'carry.'