Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
john

Default Virt-manager

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:22:40 +0100
john <jdm@jdm.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> > > now works. It lets me create vms (yippee)
> > >
> > > I was unaware that libvirtd was a separate package (thought it was
> > > part of virt-manager. After reading your hints it dawned on me
> > > that is was seaparate so have enabled more use flags. I should
> > > check more carefully the output of emerge -vp.
> > >

> > libvirt (not libvirtd) is a seperate package, it (possibly)
> > contains a number of things, including
> >
> > libvirt: the C library that allows you to manage many different
> > types of virtualization platforms using a common API.
> > Python bindings for the above
> > A command-line and shell interface (called virsh)
> > libvirtd, which is a daemon helper used to manage virtualization
> > platforms which don't have their own management service (such as
> > kvm).
> >
> > virt-manager, is a seperate product. It is a GUI interface written
> > in python that is used to talk to manage different types of
> > virtualization platforms. It uses libvirt (its python bindings) to
> > do this. Think of it as a GUI version of virsh.
> >
> > But you don't need virt-manager to use libvirt, and you don't even
> > need libvirtd to use libvirt (e.g. you are interfacing with Xen or
> > VMware hypervisors).
> >
> > That's why I was trying to say it's good for you to figure out what
> > you are trying to do, before you go through the trouble of figuring
> > out how to solve a problem that doesn't even pertain to you and
> > could have been avoided altogether just by choosing the right
> > combination of USE flags.
> >
> > If you are just wanting have a GUI for Xen, for example, you don't
> > even need to worry about libvirtd. If, for example, you are using
> > KVM but you want the VMs to bridge off a physical interface and have
> > no need for "virtual networks", then you don't even need the
> > virt-net USE flag.
> > > Anyway I am up and running with a big thanks to yourself and will
> > > have a closer look at the service another day.
> >
> > Ok
> >

> LOL Well I was up and running but now when trying to create VMs I get
> (have done upgrade of around 20 packages)
>
> Uncaught error validating install parameters: Must pass a
> VirtualDevice instance.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1241, in
> validate
> return self.validate_final_page()
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501, in
> validate_final_page
> self.guest.add_device(self.nic)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
> 666, in add_device
> raise ValueError(_("Must pass a VirtualDevice instance."))
> ValueError: Must pass a VirtualDevice instance.
>
> dnsmasq installed. python-updater run. revdep-rebuild etc......
>
> Are there any other GUIs to try for for virtualisation?????
>
> Or is it better sticking to CL to qemu-kvm?
> Am I expecting too much for this just to work?

ok I might be being dumb but found a way round this (through trial and
error)

In advanced options in step 5 of 5 select "Specify Shared Device Name"

Please note you'll need to create a bridge as well but selecting the
above removes error message.

Caw this is tough but fun.

--
--------------
John D Maunder

Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Friday, July 8 at 21:22 (+0100), john said:

[...]
> LOL Well I was up and running but now when trying to create VMs I get
> (have done upgrade of around 20 packages)
>
> Uncaught error validating install parameters: Must pass a VirtualDevice
> instance.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1241, in
> validate
> return self.validate_final_page()
> File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501, in
> validate_final_page
> self.guest.add_device(self.nic)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
> 666, in add_device
> raise ValueError(_("Must pass a VirtualDevice instance."))
> ValueError: Must pass a VirtualDevice instance.
>
> dnsmasq installed. python-updater run. revdep-rebuild etc......
>

> Are there any other GUIs to try for for virtualisation?????
>
> Or is it better sticking to CL to qemu-kvm?
> Am I expecting too much for this just to work?

I can honestly say that I haven't experienced so much pain working with
libvirt/virt-manger. If I had I probably would have given up, but I've
been using it for years now.

What versions of packages are you using? Are you mixing stable/unstable packages?

I can't really say. I've never seen that error before. What steps are
you taking to create the VM?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Friday, July 8 at 22:37 (+0100), john said:

> ok I might be being dumb but found a way round this (through trial and
> error)
>
> In advanced options in step 5 of 5 select "Specify Shared Device Name"
>
> Please note you'll need to create a bridge as well but selecting the
> above removes error message.

Ok, the problem appears that you never really solved the first issue you
had. So that's causing other issues down the pipe, which is often the
case.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 PM
john

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:57:55 -0400
Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org> wrote:

> On Friday, July 8 at 21:22 (+0100), john said:
>
> [...]
> > LOL Well I was up and running but now when trying to create VMs I
> > get (have done upgrade of around 20 packages)
> >
> > Uncaught error validating install parameters: Must pass a
> > VirtualDevice instance.
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1241,
> > in validate
> > return self.validate_final_page()
> > File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501,
> > in validate_final_page
> > self.guest.add_device(self.nic)
> > File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line
> > 666, in add_device
> > raise ValueError(_("Must pass a VirtualDevice instance."))
> > ValueError: Must pass a VirtualDevice instance.
> >
> > dnsmasq installed. python-updater run. revdep-rebuild etc......
> >

> > Are there any other GUIs to try for for virtualisation?????
> >
> > Or is it better sticking to CL to qemu-kvm?
> > Am I expecting too much for this just to work?
> >

> I can honestly say that I haven't experienced so much pain working
> with libvirt/virt-manger. If I had I probably would have given up,
> but I've been using it for years now.
>
> What versions of packages are you using? Are you mixing
> stable/unstable packages?
>
> I can't really say. I've never seen that error before. What steps
> are you taking to create the VM?

Using latest stable versions of all packages regarding
virt-manager/libvirt and all associated but I am using
.39-r2 kernel (which oddly cures a usb issue I have been having
with .38

There is post on the forum regarding this issue as well (recent)
but looks like no fix was found.

Have tried a few vms now and seen to be running ok. Was trying to see
any differences with VirtualBox (better speed/usability).

Can't say there is much in it but only a home user so will not see too
much speed difference anyway.

Using gui to create images on hard disc and running isos from there.

I perhaps should read the documentation but like to try things first
before getting too involved. lxc next!!!!!!!

Thanks for your guidance. I don't think I would have got this far
without it.

--
--------------
John D Maunder

Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM
"Jason Pyeron"

I should have noted that my ~/ssh/config already does that. It suspends waiting
for stdin.

Ex: cat &

-Jason

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -