-   -   Re Is it sefe to unmerge? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/54633-re-sefe-unmerge.html)

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 03:47 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Alan,

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 'emerge -pv --depclean' shows that these packages may be unmerged:
> <snip detail>
>> app-crypt/hashalot
>> sys-libs/pwdb
>> sys-apps/attr
>>
>> Is it safe to remove they from the system? This is mail server and
>> has mostly no additional packages except exim, mysql, spamassassin
>> and some other.

> This means that you never explicitly merged them, they are not in world
> and are no longer required by anything else. There are normally three
> reasons:

> - you merged something that needed these packages, then unmerged them
> later, leaving these dependencies orphaned
> - you merged something else that used them, and in a recent update they
> are now using something else that provides the same functionality
> - they were required by some USE flag you once had, and you have now
> changed your USE, so the deps are no longer required.

Yes, that the theory I know about :)
But looks like they are not in world list of stage3. I'm 99% sure I
didn't merge hashalot & attr (as dependencies too).

> You'll need to look at each package and figure out if YOU need them, as
> we can't tell you that. I might think that you don't need your wife
> under any circumstances, and you might strongly disagree :-)

:)

> I once knew what hashalot does. I forgot. It's something to do with
> cryptography

%description
This program will read a passphrase from standard input and print a binary
(not printable) hash to standard output. The output is suitable for use as
an encryption key.

> pwdb is used as a password and user account configuration thingy. Looks
> pretty important :-)

I think so.

> attr provides extended attributes to ext2/3 and XFS file systems, used
> by selinux and posix capabilities. If you use these features, you
> already are aware of it.

So, if I use reiserfs w/o ext attrs (option in kernel), I don't need
it probably. Correct?

> When you figure out which ones to keep, it's best to put them in your
> world file. Either edit /var/lib/portage/world and stick the name at
> the end, or run 'emerge -n <package-name>'

Thanks.

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 04:09 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Thanks, Alan!

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 07:25 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Mick,

> # equery depends attr
> [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> sys-apps/acl-2.2.45 (>=sys-apps/attr-2.4)
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (acl? sys-apps/attr)

> YMMV.

Hm... on my server:

# cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
USE="-X -acl -gpm -ipv6 -tcpd"

# equery depends attr
[ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)

# equery depends pwdb
[ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)

# equery depends hashalot
[ Searching for packages depending on hashalot... ]
#

Looks like I can remove hashalot safely only.

attr and pwdb must be added to world class.
correct?

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 07:53 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Willie,

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:25:23PM +0200, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
>> # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
>> USE="-X -acl -gpm -ipv6 -tcpd"
>>
>> # equery depends attr
>> [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
>> sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)
>>
>> # equery depends pwdb
>> [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
>> sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)
>>
>> # equery depends hashalot
>> [ Searching for packages depending on hashalot... ]
>> #
>>
>> Looks like I can remove hashalot safely only.
>>
>> attr and pwdb must be added to world class.
>> correct?

> Not so fast. Check to see if you do have the xattr flag enabled.

In the kernel config probably?

# cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -i XATTR
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR is not set

> The entry for attr is a conditional dependency: you don't need it if
> you don't have the xattr flag. (Equery is, at present, not smart
> enough to decipher dependency from USE.)

# emerge --info | grep -i attr
#

> Also, I'd thought that emerge --depclean has matured enough so that
> you don't get weird stuff like depclean telling you pwdb is save to
> remove, while equery tells you there's a hard dependency.

Hm... probably you are right...
But it happened after I synced portage tree this morning.

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 09:56 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Mick,

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Mick wrote:
>> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, you wrote:
>> > Hi Mick,

>> > Hm... on my server:
>> >
>> > # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE
>> > USE="-X -acl -gpm -ipv6 -tcpd"
>> >
>> > # equery depends attr
>> > [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
>> > sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)
>> >
>> > # equery depends pwdb
>> > [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
>> > sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)
>> >
>> > # equery depends hashalot
>> > [ Searching for packages depending on hashalot... ]
>> > #
>> >
>> > Looks like I can remove hashalot safely only.
>> >
>> > attr and pwdb must be added to world class.
>> > correct?

> Try running: # regenworld

> It should catch any packages that should have been included in the world file,
> but for some reason hadn't. Don't forget that --declean is not infallible.

Sorry for delay. regenworld didn't find attr, pwdb and hashalot
packages. It just added packages I updated using 'emerge -uDN
<package_name>' command instead of 'emerge -uDN world' by mistake.

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 09:58 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Willie,

So, I can unmerge hashalot and attr safely.

How can I add pwdb to the system (or maybe world is more correct)
class?

Sergey Kobzar 02-13-2008 10:34 PM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Alan, thanks again :)

Last question. How can I update selected packages correctly? Before I
used 'emerge -uDN <package_name>' command, but it adds package to the
world class, which is IMHO is not fully correct.

To update whole system, I must use 'emerge -uDN world', right?

Sergey Kobzar 02-14-2008 12:27 AM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Dale,

> Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> So, if I use reiserfs w/o ext attrs (option in kernel), I don't need
>>> it probably. Correct?
>>>

>> You certainly don't need it, as attr doesn't support reiser. I'm looking
>> at my own reiser-based machine and wondering why on earth I ever merged
>> it myself
>>

> I have attr on here as well. This is what equery says:

> root@smoker / # equery depends attr
> [ Searching for packages depending on attr... ]
> app-backup/dar-2.2.6 (acl? sys-apps/attr)
> gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.20.1-r1 (acl? sys-apps/attr)
> sys-apps/acl-2.2.45 (>=sys-apps/attr-2.4)
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1 (xattr? sys-apps/attr)
> root@smoker / #

> Seems like a few packages depend on it here. OP, have you had any of
> these installed at some point?

In my system only one package which requires attr is
sys-apps/coreutils. But because acl support is disabled, it does not
need attr too.

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-14-2008 10:08 AM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Willie,

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:58:03AM +0100, Penguin Lover Henry Gebhardt squawked:
>> > So, yes, pwdb is a runtime dependency. I don't actually run pam, so can't
>> > confirm what would happen if I remove pwdb.
>> >

>> Holy shit, what's going on? The ebuild in the portage tree is different than
>> the one in /var/db/pkg/. Is it normal to update an ebuild but not its
>> revision number? Here is the diff:
>>
> ---snipped---

> Damn, I spoke too soon. Just re-synced, and now this pops in the
> Changelog for pam

> 10 Feb 2008; Diego Petten<C3><B2> <flameeyes@gentoo.org>
> pam-0.99.8.1-r1.ebuild, pam-0.99.9.0.ebuild:
> Remove dependency over pwdb, pam_pwdb is no more present in
> PAM 0.99, so the dependency was bogus.

Where did you find it?
Native pam Changelog or other location?

--
Sergey

Sergey Kobzar 02-14-2008 10:11 AM

Re Is it sefe to unmerge?

Hi Willie,

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:17:35AM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon squawked:
>> emerge -n pwdb

> Actually, don't do that. Alan gave the right answer, but it seems that
> my portage tree was just a few days out of date. flameeyes just
> removed the dependency for pwdb from pam. (See my other reply for the
> message.

I see.

> So this might actually explain why depclean and equery depends gave
> you different answers: one was reading the new entry for pam in the
> tree, and one was reading the old entry for (the same version... why
> didn't they bump the version?) pam in /var/db. And since the version
> was not bumped, your emerge --update world or whatever did not think
> to rebuild pam (and copy the new ebuild to /var/db)....

IMHO it's fully incorrect. Minor version must be changed at least...

--
Sergey